I could use a bit of advice. I have a brand new Verizon Classic, OS Version 10.3.2.859 that has never been setup/used and I would like to know how far back I can go in restoring from previous BlackBerry 10 Link backups?

My goal is to load previous Link backup files onto the Classic and then archive text messages from the phone onto my PC laptop using different backup software. (I realize that once I update the phone to the latest BB10 OS 10.3.3.3057, that I won't be able to go backwards to previous OS Versions.)

My first BlackBerry Link backup file is from a broken Verizon Q10 that originally shipped with OS Version 10.1.0.4700 and was subsequently updated over time. And, I also have additional Link backups from a water-damaged Classic.

Alternatively, it would be easier if I could skip the steps of restoring backups to my new phone and simply capture data directly from my old Link backup files, if that's possible. If so, what software is available to do this? Thanks for the help.
    03-27-18 04:45 PM
    You'll just have to try... In Theory, Backup should work across version, bu in practice they often don't.

No you can't access files from a BB LINK backup... it's why I always suggest also using another backup solution. But your past that point, you'll just have to see what happens....
    03-28-18 07:14 AM
    Years ago, I found a PC program called 'Magic Berry IPD Reader' that allowed me to parse data directly from 'BlackBerry Desktop' backup files to my computer. I could then export info into Excel, etc. That was awesome. I wish something like this existed for 'BlackBerry Link' backup files. Perhaps it does and I simply don't know about it?
    03-28-18 08:04 AM
    Years ago, I found a PC program called 'Magic Berry IPD Reader' that allowed me to parse data directly from 'BlackBerry Desktop' backup files to my computer. I could then export info into Excel, etc. That was awesome. I wish something like this existed for 'BlackBerry Link' backup files. Perhaps it does and I simply don't know about it?
    The earlier .BBB files weren't encrypted.. so you could use other applications to open them. Some simple zip applications could do it. Not sure when, but LINK now encrypts them for security reasons.... have yet to see an application that has successfully broken the encryption. But that doesn't mean it can't be done...
    04-02-18 08:47 AM