Can somebody please clarify the difference between these two resetting methods?

Holding power/lock button beyond count down until red LED shows and phone resets.

Holding volume rockers beyond screen capture and phone resets.

What do each of these methods actually reset or do they do the same thing? Is one of the methods a 'deeper' reset than the other? Do we class one of them as a "soft reset" and the other as a "hard reset"?

I'm sure this would help more people than just me if we can get to the bottom of it.

Thanks.

It's a phone, I'm not "running it" or "rocking it" I just use it. Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3062
    BSar likes this.
    11-29-14 06:44 AM
    Very good questions I want to know the answers too.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 06:50 AM
    Very good questions I want to know the answers too.

Posted via CB10
    Fingers crossed somebody will shed some light. I'm not so sure this is something many users will know.

It's a phone, I'm not "running it" or "rocking it" I just use it. Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3062
    12-01-14 09:23 AM
    As far as I know the volume reset is hard and the power button reset is soft.

Via CB10 from Scotland
    12-01-14 09:41 AM
    As far as I know the volume reset is hard and the power button reset is soft.

Via CB10 from Scotland
    That's what's been passed down in the forums since BB10's start.

But, is there really a difference?

For the Z10 stl100 -1, the only reset option is the top lock button. The volume buttons method simply doesn't work as it does on the other three Z10 models.

I will add that with the 10.3.1 OS, my Z10 (the -3 model) shows the exact same boot up messages and takes the same amount of time to do it with either reset method. There appears to be no difference. I'm beginning to think that there isn't one.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 02:18 PM
    For there to be any difference the system would have to save data on the file system to read on boot. Windows update does this, but it is a dubious way to get a clean boot. If a normal power up expects to find some configuration that may be cleared for a "harder" reboot a more common way is to read switch state at some point in the boot. This is more common. This would argue for holding the power button down (or the volume rockers) until the red light is different, perhaps harder, from releasing it before then.

Even though I've managed to hang my Z10 and DA-C with program bugs I've not seen any case where one does a better job than the other.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 03:43 PM