Long story short, I've been have some issues with my local contacts, linking and BBM. After contacting @BBM and @BlackBerryHelp, @BBM got back to me and told me to reload my device software.

I'm afraid that if I reload my software and then restore using a backup, that the problem will be transferred over and still persist.

So, in order to fix my contact/BBM issue once and for all, what would be the better option - reload the software or doing a security wipe?

Thanks for any advice.

Posted via my Q10
    01-30-14 06:37 AM
    Please... Can anyone please help me?

Posted via my Q10
    01-30-14 10:05 AM
    Wouldn't the outcome be the same if you would do a security wipe and then a backup? That would mean the problem is in your backup, so I wouldn't worry doing a restore or security wipe.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dibbis; 01-30-14 at 11:03 AM.
    01-30-14 10:31 AM
    So if I reload the OS via BB Link, does it ask if I want to restore from a backup, or does it give me the option?

I'd rather start fresh again and not use the backup in case it's corrupted...

Posted via my Q10
    01-30-14 10:57 AM
    I don't know if it will ask to backup, I believe you have to do it manually. Try a security wipe instead, but make sure all your pictures etc are stored on your sd card.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 11:01 AM
    both will reset to factory setting.

reload
    it will restore to factory setting
    you will lose all of your installed apps and settings (you need to redownload them again and stock apps such as BBM, Facebook that came with the OS also need to be updated from BB World) but your device storage data such as pictures are still there.
    will take you lesser than 30 minutes to complete

wipe
    it will restore to factory setting and wipe all of your device storage and restore only your current apps
    you don't need to install and update your apps from BB world but need to configure and set them back to your preferences.
    will take you around an hour or more to complete depending on your current device storage

my suggestion is:-
    - do a backup
    - reload without restoring then open up BBM and see whether you get your contact or not. This should fix it i bet but you still need to restore from your backup right.
    - restore from your backup, if your contacts messed up then i guess you should start fresh reload it again without restoring from your backup
    01-30-14 11:41 AM
    both will reset to factory setting.

reload
    it will restore to factory setting
    you will lose all of your installed apps and settings (you need to redownload them again and stock apps such as BBM, Facebook that came with the OS also need to be updated from BB World) but your device storage data such as pictures are still there.
    will take you lesser than 30 minutes to complete

wipe
    it will restore to factory setting and wipe all of your device storage and restore only your current apps
    you don't need to install and update your apps from BB world but need to configure and set them back to your preferences.
    will take you around an hour or more to complete depending on your current device storage

my suggestion is:-
    - do a backup
    - reload without restoring then open up BBM and see whether you get your contact or not. This should fix it i bet but you still need to restore from your backup right.
    - restore from your backup, if your contacts messed up then i guess you should start fresh reload it again without restoring from your backup
    Thank you so much for your reply!

I think I'm going to reload without doing a restore. I don't mind doing everything from scratch as long as it's fixed.

Quick question... My BBM contacts are automatically backed up via my BBID so they should pop up automatically after I reload and update BBM, right?

Posted via my Q10
    01-30-14 11:49 AM
    Thank you so much for your reply!

I think I'm going to reload without doing a restore. I don't mind doing everything from scratch as long as it's fixed.

Quick question... My BBM contacts are automatically backed up via my BBID so they should pop up automatically after I reload and update BBM, right?

Posted via my Q10
    Yeah. Should be. After finished reloading, straight away fire up BBM and logged in with your BBID. Or if you prefer to update it first from BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 12:04 PM
    Yeah. Should be. After finished reloading, straight away fire up BBM and logged in with your BBID. Or if you prefer to update it first from BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    Awesome. I'll give this a try as soon as I get home and post back after I'm done.

Posted via my Q10
    01-30-14 12:30 PM
    If you want a factory reset, do it though Link, it'll be quicker.
    01-30-14 12:38 PM
    So after doing a bit of research, it seems a lot of people have bricked BB10 phones when trying to reload 10.2.1 via Link. The OS only downloads to 98% and then stops. The problem is on BlackBerry's server end with some sort of "checksum" error in the code (sorry, just paraphrasing what I read...not sure what it means or if I'm right).

I think I'm going to do a security wipe even though it takes longer. *fingerscrossed*

Posted via my Q10
    01-30-14 01:50 PM