Blackberry has failed to properly address the issue of auto-suggest contacts when composing emails, despite a few threads on here saying that the Recent Contact Management faciility an improvement.

For example, my partner is saved in my phone as "BT" (her initials). When I type "BT" into the address box, her email address pops up as one of the options. So far so good.

However, another friend has my partner saved in his contacts under the name "Guardian Angel" (an in-joke). Yesterday, he emailed both me and my partner - and as a result, the name "Guardian Angel" now comes up as the first suggestion every time I type the letter "g" into the address field.

So I go to the Recent Contact Management tool, and add "Guardian Angel" to the list of blocked contacts. The problem is that it now automatically blocks "BT" from the auto-complete, too.

In other words, if a group of friends saves each other into their contacts under a bunch of different names, nicknames, abbbreviations etc, it's not long before all those different names start to appear as auto-complete options. And blocking one of them as an auto-complete suggestion blocks all of them - including the one saved in your own contacts.

Quite why Blackberry can't sort out this very basic issue is beyond me.
    11-16-14 06:05 AM
    Blackberry has failed to properly address the issue of auto-suggest contacts when composing emails, despite a few threads on here saying that the Recent Contact Management faciility an improvement.

For example, my partner is saved in my phone as "BT" (her initials). When I type "BT" into the address box, her email address pops up as one of the options. So far so good.

However, another friend has my partner saved in his contacts under the name "Guardian Angel" (an in-joke). Yesterday, he emailed both me and my partner - and as a result, the name "Guardian Angel" now comes up as the first suggestion every time I type the letter "g" into the address field.

So I go to the Recent Contact Management tool, and add "Guardian Angel" to the list of blocked contacts. The problem is that it now automatically blocks "BT" from the auto-complete, too.

In other words, if a group of friends saves each other into their contacts under a bunch of different names, nicknames, abbbreviations etc, it's not long before all those different names start to appear as auto-complete options. And blocking one of them as an auto-complete suggestion blocks all of them - including the one saved in your own contacts.

Quite why Blackberry can't sort out this very basic issue is beyond me.
    This is how all email applications work. Even Web clients. Go try it on Gmail on website and you'll know.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 07:24 AM
    This is how all email applications work. Even Web clients. Go try it on Gmail on website and you'll know.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. I wasn't aware of that with Gmail (although I'm not a Gmail user).

But it's not the case with Hotmail. If I compose a Hotmail message, it never suggests nicknames used by a third party - only names I have input myself in the past or names that are in my contacts list.
    11-16-14 07:52 AM
    Probably a setting in Hotmail to turn that off. IIRC Gmail has one too. Would be nice to be able to delete an individual listing in recent contacts. Try this... Add the unwanted name as a contact, then link it to the one you want to show. Probably not a solution, but you never know. Just thinking out loud.
    11-16-14 08:41 AM