How come the native maps can't find me in a huge city (Houston) yet I quickly download Google maps through Snap and once I open the app the blue dot of my location shows
    Rant: BB Maps vs Google Maps-img_20140720_010137.png
    Rant: BB Maps vs Google Maps-img_20140720_010202.png

Fat Mexican with a Z10 in CB10
    07-20-14 01:03 AM
    It's cause' it's racist yo you know how it is.

ahahaha no on the real though, it's probably because BB Maps uses TomTom Maps, which lack accuracy unless you're under wifi as opposed to Google Maps, though it can find you without wifi pretty well, that's because they've scanned the place hundreds of times.

As what I can see, BB Maps does an ok job of finding you, but of course, Google well always do it better.
    07-20-14 03:06 AM
    It's cause' it's racist yo you know how it is.

ahahaha no on the real though, it's probably because BB Maps uses TomTom Maps, which lack accuracy unless you're under wifi as opposed to Google Maps, though it can find you without wifi pretty well, that's because they've scanned the place hundreds of times.

As what I can see, BB Maps does an ok job of finding you, but of course, Google well always do it better.
    NO

It's more likely a GPS issue. Did you try closing and reopening BlackBerry Maps?

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 03:38 AM
    NO

It's more likely a GPS issue. Did you try closing and reopening BlackBerry Maps?

Posted via CB10
    Erm, excuse me, but you should look up what GPS means and how the determination of it between different networks (e.g. Wireless LAN vs. Cellular) works brah.

Like I might be completely off but ya know being all like "NO" kinda touches my special spot.
    Omahahaha likes this.
    07-20-14 03:51 AM
    Djlatino, I'm sorry but it just took him time to get GPS lock.

miguel89to, if you have data connection it will find you faster because it downloads some sort of information about satelites (that you get anyway from them, but they transmit less often).

Both maps use the same system to get your position more or less. The time it takes to get position depends on where you are and even weather. Buildings and mountains will block some satelites and it will take longer.
    07-20-14 04:26 AM
    But like, that's what I meant like, tomtom maps has a harder time being more exact, even though it was close enough to know what street he was on like

:'(

aight

i did my part
    07-20-14 04:28 AM
    Lool DJ Latino no hard feelings.

Different map apps may have different accuracy levels but they are all just receiving GPS information from the handset then matching it with grid points on their maps.

BlackBerry Maps can make use of WiFi to help workout where the user is too. That feature is more of a device feature than an app feature.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 05:10 AM
    Makes no difference at all whether you are on wifi or carrier data, or even which map you are using, especially in the US. You have another issue.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    07-20-14 08:19 AM
    I use BlackBerry maps everyday.. I just finished a week of traveling through upstate new York and Vermont and it was very accurate.

We made 8 different stops. We reachrd each destination without issue and I had no clue where I was going.

I'm not sure what your issue was but the only time I have a problem is when my cell coverage drops out.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 08:35 AM
    Doesn't look like you are at the same zoom level in google maps. If you zoom in all the way, do you see the exact location or same as BlackBerry maps?

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 08:44 AM
    So far bbmaps has always been real close to where I am. Not sure why it's off for you n
    07-20-14 08:58 AM
    I don't know either... a lot of time they red icon shows up meaning that the app couldn't find me....
    And for the guy who asked the differences in zoom... it shouldn't matter! Google found me and BlackBerry maps didn't... I was sooo lost I needed help..n and BlackBerry maps failed me but google didnt... it just sucks that when in critical situations where u just wna t to open the app and see where u are at... bb maps fails were an android port actually and accurately finds me

07-20-14 09:30 AM
    Let me just put it this way. BB Maps is utter crap compared to Google Maps.
    blee4 likes this.
    07-20-14 10:11 AM
    Your opinion is noted and completely disregarded.

ehroberts, spikesolie and Foppa_21 like this.
    07-20-14 10:14 AM
    Your opinion is noted and completely disregarded.

And you are free to do so. But it's not an opinion. It's a fact.
    07-20-14 10:23 AM
    Can't use BlackBerry maps to "plan route" (get directions between two addresses) with your location disabled.. so I'd have to agree.
    07-20-14 11:12 AM
    To be fair Google Maps is the bar for mapping.

You're better off comparing it to Navigon, TomTom, Nokia Here/Microsoft Maps, Apple Maps. I used both Apple Maps and Navigon (software edition) for my trip in Texas last week. Navigon is pretty good because you can plan a route with stopping points on the way for example current location -> gas station -> hotel -> beach the big plus with TomTom and Navigon is you have the maps offline so you don't have to worry about hitting dead zones with your mobile provider which for me was often in Texas. I know some mapping providers let you "cache" your route but not an entire state.

I also find the Q10 screen too small, I mounted my iPad Mini to the windshield. If ONLY they didn't drop support for the PlayBook....
    07-20-14 11:26 AM
    BlackBerry maps I use almost exclusively. NavFree want me to make an illegal dangerous U turn. I find BlackBerry maps accurate and reliable.

BB Proud
    07-20-14 11:53 AM
    Seriously, does no one comprehend how GPS service works?

Inititially, your location is usually triangulated by measuring the signal at the cell phone towers and acts as a proxie until the actual GPS unit locks on to the satellites. If you are in a remote area or the cell phone towers are obstructed, then the amount of time it takes for GPS to work will be affected until the Sat GPS locks in. Both will give you an approximation but the Sats are much, much more accurate.

It's up to your GPS software to decide what to do with the information. As far as GoogleMaps being more accurate, it is entirely possible if they have better maps. Period. Long/Lat is just a coordinate on the surface of the Earth and you simply become a coordinate once you lock into the GPS. Where you are in relation to the physical terrain is up to the accuracy of the mapping info the software uses.
    07-20-14 02:30 PM
    by the time he downloaded and launched Google maps the device had a GPS lock and was able to immediately display the location.

sequence of events are key. IMO
    Foppa_21, miguel89to and yessuz like this.
    07-21-14 08:06 AM
    Djlatino, I'm sorry but it just took him time to get GPS lock.

miguel89to, if you have data connection it will find you faster because it downloads some sort of information about satelites (that you get anyway from them, but they transmit less often).

Both maps use the same system to get your position more or less. The time it takes to get position depends on where you are and even weather. Buildings and mountains will block some satelites and it will take longer.
    I was in plain major street with no tall buildings and not wooded at all and at night clear sky....soooo no reason why.

And yes I obviously had data connection since I was able to download Google maps from Snap and open it and have a lock on me in like1.2 seconds

07-21-14 08:18 AM
    I'm a huge fan of BlackBerry Maps. I've never had a problem with it. Always worked perfectly. Admittedly, my primary use case is pulling up addresses from my contacts or BB Travel and mapping directions / navigating, and for that it's perfect.

I have occasionally pulled up BeMaps (based in Google) to do a search of what's around me, but the BlackBerry Maps integration with BlackBerry Travel and contacts, and it's consistently great navigation, makes it my go to maps app.

Posted with my Z10 via CB10
    07-21-14 08:21 AM
    by the time he downloaded and launched Google maps the device had a GPS lock and was able to immediately display the location.

sequence of events are key. IMO
    I hated that feeling because I was truly lost and to have BlackBerry maps show a red icon 3 times after refreshing and exiting and reopening the app was frustrating and a bit dangerous...yet right away google maps found me.

And not only this time... but I have always had trouble with BlackBerry maps. I always get the red icon meaning no gps location generated I have downloaded official, leaks and still the map is not working...I thought it was hardware but then google finds me and BlackBerry doesn't so it can't be hardware..and come on, Houston is a super major city (4th largest) there should be NO reason why this happened....

07-21-14 08:25 AM
    I was in plain major street with no tall buildings and not wooded at all and at night clear sky....soooo no reason why.

And yes I obviously had data connection since I was able to download Google maps from Snap and open it and have a lock on me in like1.2 seconds

BB maps works perfectly fine to me.

one advantage of google maps - it has street view.
    Advantage of Bb maps - accuracy and nativity

other wise they are more-or-less the same.

and yeah, OP, BB maps would display everything perfectly at the time you downloaded Google maps.

usually you have to turn on Locations and then start the BB maps for faster gps lock.
    07-21-14 08:28 AM
    If BlackBerry maps doesn't work on occasion, just point the browser to

maps.google.com

The BB10 browser is fast and handles even Street View with aplomb.
    07-21-14 08:48 AM
28 12