R.I.P. This thread because BB10 is still alive. Another one of those hallucinatory post.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 04:48 AM
    Oh, wait...you mean BlackBerry DID have the means to improve its ecosystem by providing BASIC support to developers instead of hanging them out to dry? I'm sorry--this is just not possible. Didn't you hear--NOTHING is possible except the move to Android--it was the only choice every since before BB10 was even released. Yep, totally inevitable.
    Thank you.
    I'm glad I'm not alone in my insanely utopistic view that something else could and should have been done despite the Harbingers of the Inevitable spreading the only truth - that we live in the best of possible worlds and nothing could have ever been managed better than the BB10 platform and platform switch at BlackBerry. It's fun that in their view the same BlackBerry that made the "flawed, not competitive enough, did-never-stand-a-chance" BB10 platform appears to be now following the only sensible path to salvation by going Android.

Well in the end it'll be iOS and Android only. Can't help it nor stop it.
    People should be more honest. What they usually mean when they say "Things cannot be different" is either:
    - "I like things being this way"
    - "I don't mind"
    - "I don't care".
    Depicting choices as necessary and unavoidable is a way of never acknowledging personal or collective responsibility.
    09-26-15 05:00 AM
    I'll check the video in the morning, if you don't mind.

As for the rationale. BB10 devices (as in new ones), need an actual hardware division working. The Slider may or may not generate enough profit to keep the hardware business afloat. If that's the case, there is a chance for BB10 devices to come out.

Because there is still a hardware business. Not very illogical. I'm (and neither is Chen) promissing there will be new BB10 devices even if the Slider does extremely well, Apple-well. But if it fails and they kill the hardware business then it is done..

Not so illogical now, I expect.

Now fellas, it's 2:16am. Night all.

PS: Gooood... GOoooooooOOoood....
    BlackBerry can't kill off their hardware devision since the software depends on it. They've already outsourced so they have less risk upside downside. If the slider does well they can and will kill off BB10 so best hope for BB10 fans is to hope it flops. What die-hard RIM fans forget is you need to count in revenue from Software when looking at Hardware. The only chance for BB10 is a slider flop
    Q10Bold likes this.
    09-26-15 05:06 AM
    If you want BlackBerry to succeed then I would think you'd be glad to see them try something else when what they are doing is leading them to 0% marketshare.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    How is that working out for most of the other Android OEMs?
    09-26-15 05:24 AM
    Fact of the matter is we'll need to wait for at least March 24 2016 to tell the faith of BB10. That's when we'll have 10.33 and that's when RIM will report Q4 of fiscal year 2016. The first quarter to fully factor in the Priv. Also remember that it's not a given that a platform transition goes smoothly for a company. For a longtime RIM sold more for OS7 than BB10 - I recall they introduced the BlackBerry 9720 for that exact reason.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackB...lackBerry_9720 So it's way to early to kill off BB10. If it happened once it can happen again.

The killing of BB10 at these forums is due I belive to 3 occurences

1. it's what Chen is hoping for
    2. People excited about the Slider also hope to jump to Android they are loyal to RIM all will follow where they go.
    3. People who love BB10 are dissaponted with lack of hardware development for the platform. I know this applies to me on my Z30. I don't really want to go to the Priv since I don't feel a need for it. I'm not speccentric but one thing that matters to me is battery life the Z30 has a higher MaH than the S6 edge and a slightly higher Mah than HTC one M9. but that is about to change now with coming models.

At the end of the day for BB10 to be developed management will need to change their mind. This is unlikely to happen since it takes more than just the flop of the Priv. But the Priv will probably flop thus BB10 will die a slow death rather than a fast one.

In all the next 6 months will be the decider for BB10 so too early to kill it off.
    09-26-15 05:49 AM
    It's entertaining to read all the different perspectives from all of you but they all just boil down to a Techy version of fantasy football.

It's hard to read with so many pessimistic people out there who have probably been hurt by BlackBerry for whatever reason and turned into forum terrorists lol.

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve and David Tyler like this.
    09-26-15 05:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 06:14 AM
    Yeah, you're probably right. BlackBerry would NEVER promise something and then totally drop a product. No, not ever, as I stare at the Paperweight...er I mean Playbook on my desk.

KAM
    I have a Playbook as well, and still use it every day.
    meatball66 likes this.
    09-26-15 09:06 AM
    ... didn't hurt anyone, "had so much potential but never had the chance to grow" and didn't deserve to go like this!

Just the other day i remember when he was born and i collected my beautiful Z10 from the shop.. to now know he is no more than a patch fix if that

Will be missed greatly

Attachment 372993

Posted via CB10
    What's funny is that Android may dominate the global market with 8X% of the sales, but Apple totally dominates in terms of mobile/app revenue. Through iOS, Apple makes more money than all of the Android manufacturers combined.
    09-26-15 09:19 AM
    Chen's words on the switch to Android:

�When this first leaked I thought the Crackberry people was going to send an assassin to kill me,� he quipped. �One thing is good for our people: We have some really committed diehards. I respect that there�s a lot of heritage here, a lot of pride. If the math doesn�t add up, the math doesn�t add up. We could keep the pride and die hungry or we can eat well and not so proud, maybe. So I chose to eat well. It�s good for the company to continue to have a shot at building handsets.�

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-26-15 09:41 AM
    Chen's words on the switch to Android:

�When this first leaked I thought the Crackberry people was going to send an assassin to kill me,� he quipped. �One thing is good for our people: We have some really committed diehards. I respect that there�s a lot of heritage here, a lot of pride. If the math doesn�t add up, the math doesn�t add up. We could keep the pride and die hungry or we can eat well and not so proud, maybe. So I chose to eat well. It�s good for the company to continue to have a shot at building handsets.�

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Tbh I disappointed but I decided to move on and keep getting the slider because I really like the form factor
    09-26-15 09:47 AM
    I have a Playbook as well, and still use it every day.
    I had a veer & a pre 3 & a touchpad... HP killed webOS & I finally retired the fones & used the touchpad every day until I didn't (even though I put cyanogen on it dual boot)...

WebOS was great, smooth, with a mature OS bones & the lack of apps killed it together with their CEOs who gave up on the hardware & then the OS.

HP, a flagship company, is NOT eating well...
    09-26-15 09:51 AM
    I had a veer & a pre 3 & a touchpad... HP killed webOS & I finally retired the fones & used the touchpad every day until I didn't (even though I put cyanogen on it dual boot)...

WebOS was great, smooth, with a mature OS bones & the lack of apps killed it together with their CEOs who gave up on the hardware & then the OS.

HP, a flagship company, is NOT eating well...
    I loved webOs and had a Pixi Plus-a great little phone!
    09-26-15 09:56 AM
    If you want BlackBerry to succeed then I would think you'd be glad to see them try something else when what they are doing is leading them to 0% marketshare.
    The question is WHY such an advanced, stable, secure and efficient OS as BB10 is leading them to 0% marketshare - have you ever thought that it may be because they do it wrong? Maybe it's because of lack of proper hardware, shickingly poor support for native development, and stuff like that, and not because the OS itself is poor and unwanted. And if so, then why do you think that with Android they will it do any better? Will they suddenly stop making the same mistakes?

Have you ever thought that millions of people maybe aren't buying BB10 phones just because of the old and poor 8 MPix camera (worse than what Nokia N8 had in 2010, not to mention the 808 PureView in 2011) on all of them but the Passport, the same one for 3 years, while on all the iPhones, Samsungs, LGs, Lumias, etc. they can find much better cameras? Or that maybe for an average person the screen resolution does matter, and while Android (and everything else) went 1080p and beyond long ago, BB10 full touch phones have been stuck at 720p since 2013? Have you thought that if an average person goes to a phone shop and sees mostly quad- and eight-core CPUs in lots of Android phones (or listens to recent Apple announcements and hears about another huge performance increase of the A9 processor) and then only sees the ancient dual-core 1.5 GHz (same one for 3 years) on all BB10 phones but the Passport then he/she buys simply the one with better specs? Or that many people buy phones because they have pedometers, barometers, thermometers, altimeters, blood pressure meters, and what else, allowing for really useful applications, ALL of them missing on all BB10 phones?

Have you thought that people buy Android or iOS phones also because they want to have the same OS on both their phone and tablet, and out of all the platforms only BlackBerry does not offer any tablet anymore?

And so on. Hardware DOES matter a lot. And except for the Passport (whose form factor clearly ISN'T to everyone's liking), *ALL* the remaining BB10 phones are still based on hardware from 2012. No Q or Z phone offers absolutely anything that the Z10 wouldn't have had in early 2013. ZERO progress since then.

And add to it what an average person sees in the BB World. BlackBerry, a company so focused on quality, security, professional solutions, etc., allowed its app store to get FILLED UP with unmeasurable amounts of such a junk that one's eyes start bleeding after one minute of looking at it. Absolutely no quality- or usability-based QA, just blind fury to get as much content as possible, of ANY value (mostly without). Everyone says that BB10 lacks native software simply because native apps just CANNOT BE FOUND in that pile of sh*t completely eclipsing them. At any time, it takes many minutes of scrolling of the "New arrivals" list to reach the first native app because tons of Android cr*p being added every minute by trolls who earn money on ads included in that worthless junk. BlackBerry has done NOTHING to make BB World a place where one can get an impression that this platform offers ANYTHING but useless cr*p. Which scares away both customers and developers who just can't make their apps discoverable in that sea of utter rubbish.

THIS is what kills BB10, not the OS itself.

Well in the end it'll be iOS and Android only. Can't help it nor stop it.
    Same way, in mid 2000s everyone thought that it would be Symbian only when it had some up to 80% of smartphone market. A few years later it was gone. Assuming that Android and iOS will last forever is funny because even the Roman Empire has fallen and the Thousand-Year III Reich only lasted 20 years.

BTW. What killed Symbian was exactly the same as on BB10: years of manufacturing heavily underpowered and outdated hardware by Nokia and no decent support for native development.
    09-26-15 10:43 AM
    Maybe they build stuff with old hardware because they have a mountain of such parts in a warehouse in Mexico they need to use before the value of the stuff drops below the monthly rental...
    09-26-15 10:47 AM
    There seem to be some users left who refuse to accept the truth....
    Yep, there's a lot of them. BB10 is maintenance mode. Can anyone with half a brain see a company the size of BB supporting 2 os's? Even apple wouldn't attempt that. Wake up. They're appeasing the BB10 holdouts for a while because some businesses invested to much into it. They can't just dump it straight out. For all intents and purposes, BB10 is done. If you can't see that, well, you aren't looking good enough.
    09-26-15 10:59 AM
    BTW. What killed Symbian was exactly the same as on BB10: years of manufacturing heavily underpowered and outdated hardware by Nokia and no decent support for native development.
    No, it was Micro$oft that killed Nokia. The evil of the evils in the mobile phone industry attempted to kill the biggest obstacle, whereby trying to float the Windows phone.
    In the end, they killed both, LOL
    09-26-15 11:18 AM
    Android is the future of BlackBerry phones.
    09-26-15 11:24 AM
    No, it was Micro$oft that killed Nokia. The evil of the evils in the mobile phone industry attempted to kill the biggest obstacle, whereby trying to float the Windows phone.
    Same happened with webOS/Palm
    09-26-15 11:25 AM
    It is not as simple as that. Microsoft wouldn't kill Nokia if they didn't let Elop the Trojan Horse in, in the first place. And they did it, because already then Nokia was losing markeshare.

And it started from a series of terribly wrong decisions made already in mid 2000s, like e.g. dumping the Hildon platform which had touch / finger controlled UI already in 2002, and then (when they woke up and realized that touch controlled UI is the future) having to re-create touch support from scratch (which took them 5 years, with initially hopeless results) on the primitive Series 60 platform which was never meant or designed to support it. Another terribly wrong decision was treating their Internet Tablets like useless gadgets only for geeks and wasting years rather than quickly developing them, while very soon the tablet boom happened.

Add to it years of manufacturing heavily underpowered devices, as weak as they only could have been and still (kind of) allowed the OS to run. With Symbian's still unrivalled true multitasking, on e.g. Nokia's flagship N97 one couldn't even open several web pages in the web browser without seeing "Out of memory" errors. Symbian looked uglier than iOS not really because it was uglier, but because that weak hardware Nokia was stubbornly using didn't allow for any nice UI transitions, transparencies, etc., so it had to be that plain and simple. Think of it as of Windows 7 with the Aero UI disabled due to insufficient hardware performance.

They woke up in 2010 and finally started releasing devices like the N8 or E7 (still underpowered but not as much as previously) and finally went all Qt which allowed for normal app development, but at the same time someone decided to let Elop in, who instantly killed everything. So it was just too late.

Besides, letting Elop in was also Nokia's own decision. He did not conquer them forcefully, he was invited there (and at least SOME Nokians must have known what he was going to do). So at least partially Nokia killed itself, and Elop just finished it off.
    RezzaBuh likes this.
    09-26-15 12:18 PM
    Android is the future of BlackBerry phones.
    Wasn't it also meant to be the future of Motorola? And Nokia gave it a try as well (their Android based X series) - with no success whatsoever.
    extisis likes this.
    09-26-15 12:23 PM
    WOW. THIS IS UNUSUAL!
    People who use Blackberry Mobile devices complaining????

I'd complain about the complainers but the complainers would only complain about me complaining!!

Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-26-15 12:36 PM
    evokes JC maybe?

...Besides, letting Elop in was also Nokia's own decision. He did not conquer them forcefully, he was invited there (and at least SOME Nokians must have known what he was going to do). So at least partially Nokia killed itself, and Elop just finished it off.
    09-26-15 12:42 PM
    I guess what I've discovered is that I care more about BlackBerry technology than I care about BlackBerry Ltd.

If BlackBerry decided that they must transition to some other industry would I care about BlackBerry any more than I care about Kitchen Aid or Goodyear? Or closer, would I care about BlackBerry more than LG or Motorola?

Nah... I care about BlackBerry 10. Once the device division is closed, BlackBerry will eventually license the keyboard tech so that will allow us to get the PKB tech on other devices. BlackBerry will be a footnote on the history of mobile technology.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-26-15 at 09:58 PM.
    09-26-15 01:48 PM
    WOW. THIS IS UNUSUAL!
    People who use Blackberry Mobile devices complaining????

I'd complain about the complainers but the complainers would only complain about me complaining!!

http://www.picturesanimations.com/3/3d_smileys/0251.gif
    hmm just like your name says.. you are lost.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    09-26-15 01:52 PM
353 ... 34567 ...