Someone had to buy the last buggy whip too. I hardly think they were "betrayed". A company sells a product until they don't.

There is far too much drama here. No one is being cut off - everything will still work.

I have no regrets about buying my Passport SE. It's about what it can do now. BlackBerry is in this to survive right now - I wouldn't want them fussing over me.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Never said I had regrets, maybe read the post rather than skim.

It's apathy like this that allows companies not to try hard enough to succeed and to just accept defeat. BB10 Crushes the competition, I'm not saying it as a fanboy, people on iPhone and android have conceded that. Even on my Z30 which is now a couple of years old and still holds its own.

Why would they fuss over you? You're only a customer...

Passport SE SQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-30-15 03:08 PM
    As for the customers, when they consider the hardware a dead cat, then therefore they don't expect repeat purchasers, thence the abandonment of current users... pfft !!

Bumpkin
    09-30-15 03:25 PM
    Never said I had regrets, maybe read the post rather than skim.

It's apathy like this that allows companies not to try hard enough to succeed and to just accept defeat. BB10 Crushes the competition, I'm not saying it as a fanboy, people on iPhone and android have conceded that. Even on my Z30 which is now a couple of years old and still holds its own.

Why would they fuss over you? You're only a customer...

Passport SE SQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    First off I never said you had regrets, I'm simply telling you I have none.

BlackBerry is trying hard to succeed. They are adapting and doing what they must to maximise their chances of success.

BB10 is a great OS, but it was clear very early on that developers were not interested in a third ecosystem, despite massive efforts from BlackBerry. Even Microsoft who have more money than God are not getting very far, and are now courting Android.

I for one don't want them to spend one penny on further BB10 development, both as a customer who wants them to survive to make more BlackBerry-branded devices, and as a stockholder.

I am not apathetic. I'm pragmatic, and self-interested.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-30-15 03:38 PM
    Your comparrison with MS not allowing chrome to be installed is bad. You don't download Chrome from the MS app store. Now we take Instagram for example. You could download version X of the instagram APK from an APK site and install it on your BB device, with no problems.

Windows PCs have no centralized app store, but if they really wanted developers can code int any app to only support certain hardware devices, again for whatever reason that may be.
    It's an excellent example and totally relates to this situation. The web is the store for PC and you can get any program you want from it. And yes as of Windows 10 there actually is a centralized windows store. The store sucks but it's a store.

The idea was that MS used to ship their computers with their own Browser installed and shut out the other guy who died because of it. Then when Chrome came out you could not make it or any other browser or any other program the default so MS was taken to court by the government I believe. So why then is it OK for programs to block certain OS's from using their service if the app exists to access it. That does not spur growth and is discriminating. Besides, we can install all apk's but they don't all work and in some cases it's not because of Google Play Services.
    Not sure at the moment which programs are blocking BlackBerry but I know Netflix was and Snap-Chat also. That's not right.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 03:46 PM
    BB10 Crushes the competition, I'm not saying it as a fanboy, people on iPhone and android have conceded that.
    Not even BBRY itself believes this LOL.
    09-30-15 04:45 PM
    It's an excellent example and totally relates to this situation. The web is the store for PC and you can get any program you want from it. And yes as of Windows 10 there actually is a centralized windows store. The store sucks but it's a store.

The idea was that MS used to ship their computers with their own Browser installed and shut out the other guy who died because of it. Then when Chrome came out you could not make it or any other browser or any other program the default so MS was taken to court by the government I believe. So why then is it OK for programs to block certain OS's from using their service if the app exists to access it. That does not spur growth and is discriminating. Besides, we can install all apk's but they don't all work and in some cases it's not because of Google Play Services.
    Not sure at the moment which programs are blocking BlackBerry but I know Netflix was and Snap-Chat also. That's not right.

Posted via CB10
    The correlation doesn't work.

You cannot force a developer to support a platform. BlackBerry can't (and shouldn't) be forced to develop for, say, Tizen.

A developer has every right to restrict his/her product from devices it isn't designed for, especially if it receives bad feedback.
    surfer41 likes this.
    09-30-15 04:50 PM
    The correlation doesn't work.

You cannot force a developer to support a platform. BlackBerry can't (and shouldn't) be forced to develop for, say, Tizen.

A developer has every right to restrict his/her product from devices it isn't designed for, especially if it receives bad feedback.
    BlackBerry is not an app developer like most. They develop for their platform as a security ecosystem and that different. I don't know why you would use BlackBerry as an example? BB10 does support Android runtime and so if the apps are able to be installed they why not allow them to work?

Netflix was upset that certain networks like Verizon wouldn't allow them to stream on their network but eventually they did. On the other hand Netflix had no problem blocking BlackBerry. This seems to me an unruly playing field with idiots policing.

I don't know what the developers like Snap-Chat's reasons to block BlackBerry when it was working fine at first conception. I'm not saying they should be forced to develop for windows but if windows phone ports android apps then why cut off people from making your app more popular? It just hurts everyone.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 08:53 PM
    BlackBerry is not an app developer like most. They develop for their platform as a security ecosystem and that different. I don't know why you would use BlackBerry as an example? BB10 does support Android runtime and so if the apps are able to be installed they why not allow them to work?

Netflix was upset that certain networks like Verizon wouldn't allow them to stream on their network but eventually they did. On the other hand Netflix had no problem blocking BlackBerry. This seems to me an unruly playing field with idiots policing.

I don't know what the developers like Snap-Chat's reasons to block BlackBerry when it was working fine at first conception. I'm not saying they should be forced to develop for windows but if windows phone ports android apps then why cut off people from making your app more popular? It just hurts everyone.

Posted via CB10
    You can't pick and choose who you want to apply your mores to. BlackBerry is DEFINITELY an app developer.

No software developer that cares about his/her reputation will allow his/her software be available on software it wasn't designed for, especially in the face of negative feedback. Content providers like Netflix are doubly careful.

BlackBerry picks and chooses who it develops for. Why should other developers be held to a different standard?
    09-30-15 09:09 PM
    Well I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't see any end to this difference of opinion.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 09:23 PM
    Well I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't see any end to this difference of opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough. Doesn't change my overall respect for you.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    09-30-15 09:34 PM
    Example BlackBerry didn't build BlackBerry link for Linux, they build it for windows and mac
    09-30-15 09:37 PM
    Actually, as an OS it does. Crap, WebOS was WAAAY ahead of its time. But nobody cares about the OS, they only care about apps.
    09-30-15 10:23 PM
    so when do BB10 device prices drop? Their value has clearly sunken in the company's eyes so let us have them at wholesale prices.
    forthperson4 likes this.
    09-30-15 10:23 PM
    Actually, as an OS it does. Crap, WebOS was WAAAY ahead of its time. But nobody cares about the OS, they only care about apps.
    I agree.

In today's mobile market, the base OS alone has little to do with overall success.

Give users a template, and let each create a personalized device. That is what a healthy ecosystem allows folks to do.

No one really cares about the downfalls of monolithic kernels; I suspect they care more about whether they can, say, get notifications from the home security system or little Johnny's test schedule for next week.

And I still shed a a tear for WebOS periodically...
    the1 likes this.
    09-30-15 11:02 PM
    LOL...you and me both. I still keep an eye on LuneOS to see where they are going. If I had spare hardware, I would run it.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-30-15 11:07 PM
    The same way BlackBerry gave up on me I've given up on them and ordered an iphone 6s. Nw we thought the day would come wbe. I would get an Apple but my Z10 is dying and see no real advantage in staying with BlackBerry. Privilege doesn't have bb10, gestures etc which I love. Yes has apps but all round I guess apple offers me a lot more.

I dunno, got 14 days to return it if I don't like it but bye BlackBerry thankful for the good times and I hope the Priv works for you! Such a shame you didn't have the real belief in bb10 as OS pisses over the others!

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 03:11 AM
    I agree.

In today's mobile market, the base OS alone has little to do with overall success.

Give users a template, and let each create a personalized device. That is what a healthy ecosystem allows folks to do.

No one really cares about the downfalls of monolithic kernels; I suspect they care more about whether they can, say, get notifications from the home security system or little Johnny's test schedule for next week.

If I may add one more, just food for thought.
    I don't believe in forcing all developers to create apps for every OS but if they choose not to, then MS if they choose to make an app like iGrann for instagram (on BB10) then why not allow access? What if instagram blocked these apps?

I believe that apps do drive the mobile industry also at this point but if all developers for android decided their apps only worked on Android devices or say they all jumped on board the Google play services bandwagon, do you think the others would survive? Would anyone really only want to have two choices between iCrap and Android? Not me!!!

The Government makes regulations to make the playing field even for all companies best they can to encourage growth for small business, why is this different? This is the idea JC was introducing to government but I think he wanted the full Monty. He wanted to force developers to make their apps either universal or for each platform.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 05:46 AM
    The same way BlackBerry gave up on me I've given up on them and ordered an iphone 6s. Nw we thought the day would come wbe. I would get an Apple but my Z10 is dying and see no real advantage in staying with BlackBerry. Privilege doesn't have bb10, gestures etc which I love. Yes has apps but all round I guess apple offers me a lot more.

I dunno, got 14 days to return it if I don't like it but bye BlackBerry thankful for the good times and I hope the Priv works for you! Such a shame you didn't have the real belief in bb10 as OS pisses over the others!

Posted via CB10
    But the phone hasn't been finished and polished. Do we know for sure that the Priv won't have gestures? I would have waited to see the phone after launch and some reviews. Besides I would have gotten the Nexus 6P before I got an iPhone. Never getting a phone with an OS that is that closed and controlled AND PROPRIETARY.

My daughter loves iPhone but in Canada the iPhone 6S is $600 on contract and that 16GB. You've got to be kidding me!!! The Nexus 6P is $499 US. without contract. 32GB and top specs

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 05:50 AM
    BlackBerry picks and chooses who it develops for. Why should other developers be held to a different standard?
    Tre, come on. You know the difference between a device vendor like BlackBerry partnering (or even acting unilaterally) to create a native version of an app like SnapChat, vs. the wild-west of hackers creating apps. You are just being contrary here. You're again trying to rationalize capricious acts of human beings as if they "make sense".

You're above this kind of doubletalk. Aren't you?

If someone acts a certain way because they're lazy or are a "jerk" or just plain MEAN, that isn't a "reason". Pick an atrocity and then go ahead and explain how it was justified just because the perpetrator hated the victims.

Remember: human beings run corporations, and no, not all decisions are made based on cold, hard, data and accurate projections... many are just made on the whim of an influential member of management, sometimes for good, sometimes for bad. Why did Apple issue the bumpers for the iPhone 4? Because the public outcry was a negative impact on their brand, and even though it was a tempest in a teapot, they reacted. You could tell that Steve Jobs was || this close to just saying "Screw you guys, I'm going home" but no, he maintained his "temper" and relented.

No sufficient tempest exists for third-party apps on BB10, or on how BB10 is being "boxed" by BlackBerry.

I'm not comparing SnapChat's or Netflix's decisions to block BlackBerry from developing a native BB10 app, BlackBerry's decision to just pull the rug out from under BB10 to "an atrocity"... but I'm more inclined to call it "laziness" and "cowardice" and "incompetence" than "a legitimate business decision".

Someone had to buy the last buggy whip too.
    The "last buggy whip" hasn't been sold yet. Buggy whips are still being made and sold at profit by various manufacturers. They may not be as cheap as spark plugs, but they do exist and there is a market for them and people are willing to pay what they cost.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 10-01-15 at 11:06 AM.
    Shadowyugi and The_Passporter like this.
    10-01-15 09:13 AM
    Someone's been watching Amish Mafia
    10-01-15 12:54 PM
    Originally Posted by Lostboy5151
    WOW. THIS IS UNUSUAL!
    People who use Blackberry Mobile devices complaining????
    I'd complain about the complainers but the complainers would only complain about me complaining!!

hmm just like your name says.. you are lost.
    You never heard of Peter Pan and the Lostboys???

Anyway...
    Was that a complaint? Is that all you've got is "I'm Lost?"
    That's pathetic! You need to work on your insults.

I'm almost insulted that your attempt at insulting me was so weak!

But, to be fair... give it another try! I don't think you've got what it takes, but I'm willing to give you another chance !!

"I'm Lost"

10-01-15 05:25 PM
    Actually it doesn't.

Where is it written that a company can't dabble in opportunities? Samsung, HTC... They all had Windows Phone and Android devices at some point (some STILL do).

The Android Phone is a way to KEEP THE HARDWARE BUSINESS ALIVE. Now friends, no HARDWARE BUSINESS DOES MEAN no BB10 device at all. So please, go easy on the RIP (it's a dead horse we are all not sympatheric with) and the Slider. It may be the life line BB10 needs to stay around.

But none of your previous logic holds, sorry.
    And your wishful thinking doesn't hold either. Sorry.
    They have said nothing about maintaining OS10.
    Chen stated that he can't get apps for OS10 and that it's not financially feasible to change that.
    BlackBerry has stated that "Priv" is the next line of phones.
    Anyone can see that BlackBerry is transitioning to Droid as the OS.
    I sense what others have said, that the Priv will flop using Android, because it's no longer really a BlackBerry and that the future is bleaker than we want to believe.
    Chen recently said that turning around BlackBerry is harder than he anticipated.
    He couldn't even operate the Priv when he showed it and yet he let them post the video of that.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Velocitymj; 10-01-15 at 11:26 PM.
    10-01-15 11:15 PM
    And your wishful thinking doesn't hold either. Sorry.
    They have said nothing about maintaining OS10.
    Chen stated that he can't get apps for OS10 and that it's not financially feasible to change that.
    BlackBerry has stated that "Priv" is the next line of phones.
    Anyone can see that BlackBerry is transitioning to Droid as the OS.
    I sense what others have said, that the Priv will flop using Android, because it's no longer really a BlackBerry and that the future is bleaker than we want to believe.
    Chen recently said that turning around BlackBerry is harder than he anticipated.
    He couldn't even operate the Priv when he showed it and yet he let them post the video of that.

Posted via CB10
    This is only an opinion and there is no fact in it others than your own survey and speculation. JC said BB10 is not going anywhere and are releasing another update. Yes he also stated that they can not fund the app store development at this time but that doesn't mean they don't support it figuratively speaking and won't in the future financially if profit/sales permit. Things can change a companies focus and direction as you can see with apple all the time.

I don't know what selective crew you surveying for your stats on who wants a Priv? I see even numbers if not more in favor of this possibly refreshing Android device. The highest ratio of probable naysayers would likely be BlackBerry users as they love BB10 and I get it. Fact is Android is the most popular OS and BlackBerry has excellent hardware and if they build it, people will come lol. If I didn't switch over to BlackBerry and get a Passport I would be looking at this device for certain since I was so frustrated with the Samsung line which is or has been the most popular.

As of yet nothing is dead with the exception of your hopes, I know mine are not and am sitting this one out unbiased and or swayed by premature conclusions and inaccurate interpretations. I can't see them making a new device for a new BB10 phone due to poor sales and this is why I said in previous post that Chen is a genius because with this new Priv it would take nothing to slide (no pun intended lol) BB10 in it as the next gen BlackBerry phone. Seems like the most economical and logical strategy if projections prove accurate.

When they say it's has no future or that the updates have reached the end of line then I will make my call at that time.

Posted via CB10
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    10-02-15 06:05 AM
    Look at it this way.

BlackBerry plans to foray into the Android OS, iOS & Windows OS segments of the global smartphone market next year. The only victim in this move is the Hub.

A one stop shop for different sets of fans ! It will enrich the BlackBerry brand (not dilute). She is not another Nortel.

Curve 8520 ~> skipped OS 6 ~> skipped OS 7 ~> Z3 (STJ100-1 / 10.3.2.2639)
    10-02-15 10:50 AM
    Look at it this way.

BlackBerry plans to foray into the Android OS, iOS & Windows OS segments of the global smartphone market next year. The only victim in this move is the Hub.

A one stop shop for different sets of fans ! It will enrich the BlackBerry brand (not dilute). She is not another Nortel.

Curve 8520 ~> skipped OS 6 ~> skipped OS 7 ~> Z3 (STJ100-1 / 10.3.2.2639)
    This is true if you don't care what OS your phone uses, for what ever reason, or the Hub is not the most important feature of the phone for you. On the other hand people have been telling me BlackBerry is dead since before BB10 came out, the same people told me Nortel was too big and important to Canada to fail. Listening to these people I'm running out of grains of salt.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    10-02-15 11:27 AM
353 ... 910111213 ...