As much as I hate to admit it, I think BlackBerry is likely to keep bb10 barely alive to see if the Android game will gain traction. If it does, it makes perfect biz sense to ditch BB10 as BlackBerry in its current state cannot afford to support two OS ecosystems at the same time.

The more interesting question is what if even the Android phone ends up a failure too? Plan B? Will BlackBerry have resources to go back burning all cylinders to resuscitate it and what makes them sure they will succeed where they have failed in the last two years building market uptick for BB10?

I am seriously considering to pick up a PP as possible last BB10 device. My Z10 is showing its age especially running Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    kingrizz and AYC2112 like this.
    09-25-15 09:58 AM
    Maybe looking too much into things but this stood out to me

'I want to be clear: fans of BlackBerry's workhorse BlackBerry 10 smartphones can continue to depend on us, and we appreciate their commitment. We will be releasing new updates of this powerful OS in the upcoming year.'

why is BB10 the workhorse? again is it being used to strengthen other projects e.g. Android venture and updates merely provided either to keep us in denial or for mass "testers"?

BlackBerry takes Priv name leak as a chance to reach out to potential new customers | CrackBerry.com
    09-25-15 10:04 AM
    On the earnings call, Chen said that the Classic and the Passport were not going away, and that a maintenance/security patch release of 10.3.3 will be here around March.

Apart from other vague assurances about BB10, those are the only firm commitments.

This is very much in line with my longtime contention that BB10 is drifting into support mode. Which is probably good enough for its intended market.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Last edited by conite; 09-25-15 at 10:32 AM.
    09-25-15 10:19 AM
    On the earnings call, Chen said that the Classic and the Passport were not going away, and that a maintenance release of 10.3.3 will be here around March.

Apart from other vague assurances about BB10, those are the only firm commitments.

This is very much in line with my longtime contention that BB10 is drifting into support mode.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    And the PURE ANDROID???
    09-25-15 10:23 AM
    And the PURE ANDROID???
    Huh? I was talking about BB10 - the topic of the thread.

We all know about the Priv.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-25-15 10:24 AM
    ... didn't hurt anyone, "had so much potential but never had the chance to grow" and didn't deserve to go like this!

Just the other day i remember when he was born and i collected my beautiful Z10 from the shop.. to now know he is no more than a patch fix if that

Will be missed greatly

Attachment 372993

Posted via CB10
    Im not even a BB fan and I just cant understand why you spread your ignorance here on crackberry. The Venice is just a new market for BB, nothing else.
    diegonei, anischab and igor10000 like this.
    09-25-15 10:32 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is dead. I've been a fan for years, but the platform is officially going nowhere. They have stated it's only going to be patched for security and privacy, which means when a new flaw is publicized they will patch that. (Only because they have to, because of their government contracts.) They obviously won't even update existing BlackBerry 10 devices to their version of Android because they want to sell more Priv's. They speak about commitment, when they show none to their customers.

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    09-25-15 10:38 AM
    They obviously won't even update existing BlackBerry 10 devices to their version of Android because they want to sell more Priv's. They speak about commitment, when they show none to their customers.

Posted via CB10
    They likely wouldn't be allowed to anyway as per OHA rules.

Once you have an Android device, there is no half-way about it - you're in our you're out.

I'm not sure what the alternative could have been.

Anyway, I'll happily carry my Passport SE in one hand, and my Priv in the other.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-25-15 10:43 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is dead. I've been a fan for years, but the platform is officially going nowhere. They have stated it's only going to be patched for security and privacy, which means when a new flaw is publicized they will patch that. (Only because they have to, because of their government contracts.) They obviously won't even update existing BlackBerry 10 devices to their version of Android because they want to sell more Priv's. They speak about commitment, when they show none to their customers.
    No... They won't update the current line up of BB10 devices to Android because they are BB10 DEVICES. And they are expected to REMAIN SO.

You guys trying to mix up two completely different strategies really makes my head hurt.
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-25-15 at 08:04 PM.
    09-25-15 10:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    Agreed.. sad day
    09-25-15 10:46 AM
    Anyway, I'll happily carry my Passport SE in one hand, and my Priv in the other.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    You seem to have posted this using your Z30 (from your signature), will you be carrying that as well? Happily?

Z30 / STA100-2 /10.3.2.2639
    09-25-15 10:48 AM
    You seem to have posted this using your Z30 (from your signature), will you be carrying that as well? Happily?

Z30 / STA100-2 /10.3.2.2639
    Love to switch it up. But I love my Passport most. For sure.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-25-15 10:52 AM
    BB10 is not dead, it's reborn as OSTR10 ;-). My own BB10 like UX built on top of Mer (but maybe moving over to Ubuntu Touch base). One day it might run on BlackBerry's Android phones too!

Posted via CB10
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-25-15 10:55 AM
    That argument makes no sense whatsoever.

10.2.0 to 10.2.1 was a huge leap in features. At most, your logic should support commitment.

Version numbers mean nothing.

This thread should R.I.P...
    Blackberry is 'd@mn@d If they do and d@mn@d if they dont' according to some. This forum can be insane sometimes. In how many words could Chen have said that they are committed to BB10 other than to say that they are committed to BB10?
    diegonei likes this.
    09-25-15 11:03 AM
    In how many words could Chen have said that they are committed to BB10 other than to say that they are committed to BB10?
    Absolutely they are committed to BB10. Of that I have no doubt. There will be a transition period for sure on the enterprise side. They need BB10 for a while yet.

But for us, the everyday consumer, the lack of any new BB10 devices, and a simple patch release of the OS in 6 months from now does not exactly ooze excitement.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-25-15 11:11 AM
    It's a matter of time that BBRY is broken into parts and sold off. They will probably carve out BB10 for Govt contracts, and force other users to either keep using dated devices and no incremental OS updates or go the Android way. They have a gold mine in IP rights which will earn them a big sum.

What really baffles me is that the company is still keen to pursue a hardware (Priv) strategy. And they have the cheek to release a new BB10 device (PP SE) just ahead of pulling the plug! Some will argue that the next update is coming soon...in March 2016. Seriously!

They have time and again said that Secured Software Services is the focus area and will provide growth for future, so why bother getting into a new handset (Priv). Just move on from handsets completely, shrink BB10 user base, and just focus on new business area. They still seem to be worried about the impact on revenue numbers, but with a quarterly run rate of around $500mn, there isn't much too protect.

I have enjoyed using BB over the past 15 years for its efficiency, security and fantastic communications platform. But, being forced to look in some other direction sucks.
    09-25-15 11:59 AM
    thanks for your input into this stupid post!lol. you do know a post is normally a place where mostly like- minded people discuss, right?

actually to assist you even further please find the definition of a FORUM below

a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

don't let us keep you..
    You're welcome.
    What needs assistance here? I thought I nailed pretty well. The CB BlackBerry users all miserable and depressed. You see it on every post, every article, even happy articles. I don't remember when CB turned into a depression hotline, but it's starting to become infectious. We have to nip it in the bud... speaking of, that would probably help these people before they all slit their wrists.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    09-25-15 12:03 PM
    In how many words could Chen have said that they are committed to BB10 other than to say that they are committed to BB10?
    Prove it with work instead of cheap talk? From developers POV it's already death for several months, no new features for developers, no roadmap, Qt 5 support canned...

Posted via CB10
    Allanon89 and kbz1960 like this.
    09-25-15 12:09 PM
    No all touch BB10 device. This is the tragedy for the OS. The OS needs a chance especially since it had NO marketing.
    KAM1138 likes this.
    09-25-15 12:23 PM
    Prove it with work instead of cheap talk? From developers POV it's already death for several months, no new features for developers, no roadmap, Qt 5 support canned...

Posted via CB10

R.I.P. BB10..-11-.jpg
    09-25-15 12:24 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is dead in the sense that it won't get any new features or enhancements to it's functionality. It's being maintained for security and privacy only. So it will remain a safe and secure OS to use going forward for the next year or so. Beyond that, no one knows.

That means that it is dead in the consumer market (that small 90% of the total market that isn't managed by an MDM service). So there's no incentive to develop for it and BlackBerry isn't looking to grow the services ecosystem around it to support it. No new BlackBerry Maps. BlackBerry Express will never leave beta. No new music or video/TV services. What it is today is what it will be until it is officially killed off by BlackBerry

Also, no new hardware for BlackBerry 10. The Passport and the Classic are sticking around, but Passport is already a year old, and Classic has hardware in it that is significantly older then that. These phones won't all of a sudden start selling better now. So without a new phone on the horizon for BlackBerry 10, it's not looking like it is going to grow in sales or marketshare, which means it is not going to get moved up in priority to BlackBerry any time soon. Basically, it's on life support and they just haven't decided on the exact date to pull the plug.

Now, the BlackBerry Crapper, er I mean Privy, no sorry Priv, isn't going to suddenly turn things around either. Android is a super competitive market with razor thin margins and BlackBerry has a history of over pricing their hardware. So unlocked sales will be well under expectations. Sales through carriers will also disappoint as no one wants an outhouse in their face and a phone named after an outhouse probably won't be a hot seller.

Basically, the handset business is being killed off with extreme prejudice.
    09-25-15 12:33 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is dead in the sense that it won't get any new features or enhancements to it's functionality. It's being maintained for security and privacy only. So it will remain a safe and secure OS to use going forward for the next year or so. Beyond that, no one knows.

That means that it is dead in the consumer market (that small 90% of the total market that isn't managed by an MDM service). So there's no incentive to develop for it and BlackBerry isn't looking to grow the services ecosystem around it to support it. No new BlackBerry Maps. BlackBerry Express will never leave beta. No new music or video/TV services. What it is today is what it will be until it is officially killed off by BlackBerry

Also, no new hardware for BlackBerry 10. The Passport and the Classic are sticking around, but Passport is already a year old, and Classic has hardware in it that is significantly older then that. These phones won't all of a sudden start selling better now. So without a new phone on the horizon for BlackBerry 10, it's not looking like it is going to grow in sales or marketshare, which means it is not going to get moved up in priority to BlackBerry any time soon. Basically, it's on life support and they just haven't decided on the exact date to pull the plug.

Now, the BlackBerry Crapper, er I mean Privy, no sorry Priv, isn't going to suddenly turn things around either. Android is a super competitive market with razor thin margins and BlackBerry has a history of over pricing their hardware. So unlocked sales will be well under expectations. Sales through carriers will also disappoint as no one wants an outhouse in their face and a phone named after an outhouse probably won't be a hot seller.

Basically, the handset business is being killed off with extreme prejudice.
    I'm still hoping for the Priv miracle!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    diegonei and Shadowyugi like this.
    09-25-15 12:36 PM
    After reading the iffi announcement from BlackBerry about the new Android powered BlackBerry, Mr Chen is talking like they are giving up on bb10 while the same time giving us hope that BlackBerry 10 is here to stay. More like here to just get updated with nothing new to implement. If BlackBerry goes Android I'm going back to using payphones. There ain't nothing my laptop can't do that a Smartphone can do besides fit in my pocket.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 12:41 PM
    He stated that 10.3.3 would just be a minor privacy and security update. Not a lot of new features.

March 2016 is half a year away. 10.3.x whatever is after 10.3.3 isn't even a glimmer in anyone's eye at this point, and if BlackBerry enterprise customers can be convinced that Android hardened by BB is "hard enough", that will nail BB10's coffin shut.

It's as much in what Chen says and does as it is in what Chen doesn't say and that BB Ltd. doesn't do.

Not making BB10 work on the Slider says a lot: even an EXISTING device it's too costly to make it BB10 compatible: what does that tell you about DEVELOPING a NEW device specifically for BB10? It should tell you a whole lot.

If and only if BB's hardened Android fails to win over government / regulated industries will there be further progress on BB10... and at that point, BB will be able to say "it's gonna COST you....". When the customers realize that maybe, just maybe, if you really want security, it's gotta be end-to-end, and gotta be BB10.

Which is when Apple will buy BlackBerry with their couch cushion change and that's that.

BB's "support" for BB10 at this stage is "life support" and if you think this means significant investment or interest by BB management in BB10, well, you're really not listening. You're hearing, but you're not listening.

I want BB10 on the slider and am hugely disappointed if they can't make a business case for it. C'est la vie.
    09-25-15 12:54 PM
    Well, it's proven that open source development model can save a fortune for companies as BlackBerry. They actually built half of BB10 on open source. And I like the idea of using Android as a base for theirs platform. In the end, I'm paid to work on Linux ;-). I just don't like that they went with stock Android UX. They could port the whole UI on top of Android, it would not be that difficult. And have a real BlackBerry experience. Unfortunately they went the easier way (and got trapped by Google).

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 02:05 PM
353 1234 ...