Hi folks!

Sorry for this long post but I really need some answers before switching (back) from Android to BB10 OS.

In the last 10 years I've tried all smartphone ecosystems. In order of use: Symbian, PalmOS, Windows Mobile, iOS, BB 6/7 OS, Android, Windows Phone 8. I enjoyed all those OSs, all have their strengths and weaknesses. The device I enjoyed most for productivity was my Bold 9780. Still, it had some important quirks that pushed me towards Android. So here are my questions, before purchasing a Q10.

1) If I read an email (Gmail) on the phone, will it be marked as read on the webmail as well? If yes, how fast? In BB6/7 that took for ever...

2) If I set filters on the webmail (I have a load of Gmail filters) will they be applied / functional, or will I have to access my carrier's "BlackBerry Portal" and create a new set of filters? This was required in BB7, it drove me crazy!

3) Does BB 10 has support for the "multiple accounts" function in Gmail? Multiple account = you have more than 1 address in a single Gmail account. It's not a deal-breaker but it would be VERY useful.

4) Does BB 10 has the same level of social-network integration as iOS/Android/WP? When using BB6/7 the Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn apps were MILES behind iOS/Android. Also THIS is disturbing (look at the comments), are the apps that bad/unusable?

5) Does BB 10 has apps that can "auto-do stuff"? I'm really enjoying "Tasker" on Android, as I can set a number of very useful rules (examples: disable 4G when connected to WiFi, disable WiFi & enable 4G when leaving home/office etc). I suppose that I won't find such an advanced app on BB10 (yet) but still, are there any apps that can at least switch profiles at a certain hour?

6) BB7 had a very useful function: Email Levels. Example: I've created a "night" profile that didn't had any sound notifications for emails/calls/messages, but ringed when receiving a Level1 email. This was very useful for VIP emails that needed to be solved right away (example: crashed servers). Is this function still available on BB 10? If yes, does it applies only to emails or even for Contacts?

7) I don't have time to watch TV, so I'm reading a lot of news. I'm really enjoying "Pulse" on iOS/Android. Do I have any similar app on BB10?

8) Page loading speed on BB6/7 was horrific. Also YouTube clips were almost unplayable. Has this changed with BB10?

9) This one is important: will Q10's battery keep the device juiced up for the entire day (at least 12 hours)? My day drill is simple: email email email email news news email email email. So I don't really do much except read/reply to emails and read news 2-3 times a day. Will the battery keep-up from 8am to 22pm? I don't play games, I don't listed to music, etc.

10) Will I feel like an old-man when using BB10? When using BB7 I was like "you youngsters keep using iOS and Android, I have a business to run so I'll keep using this OS even if it looks 100 years old!". I don't want to be "cool", I don't post Instagram pictures with my food. . But still I want to use an OS that at least keeps the pace with the overall level of quality and usability of the other ecosystems.

11) Are there any rumours of BlackBerry updating the Android Gingerbread runtime? I currently use a bunch of apps that don't exist on BB10 (like RunKeeper) but don't support Gingerbread any more...

Thank you very much for your replies!
    07-29-13 01:00 AM
    1) If I read an email (Gmail) on the phone, will it be marked as read on the webmail as well? If yes, how fast? In BB6/7 that took for ever...

Its not instant from what i have noticed, maybe 10 minutes or so

4) Does BB 10 has the same level of social-network integration as iOS/Android/WP? When using BB6/7 the Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn apps were MILES behind iOS/Android. Also THIS is disturbing (look at the comments), are the apps that bad/unusable?

They still arent up to par IMO with offerings on other platforms. But they are usable and there are some nice twitter apps in BB World.

5) Does BB 10 has apps that can "auto-do stuff"? I'm really enjoying "Tasker" on Android, as I can set a number of very useful rules (examples: disable 4G when connected to WiFi, disable WiFi & enable 4G when leaving home/office etc). I suppose that I won't find such an advanced app on BB10 (yet) but still, are there any apps that can at least switch profiles at a certain hour?

Tasker is a great app and I cant say i have found a replacement for it in BB World. I havent even found an app to shut wifi off yet like I could on BBOS.

6) BB7 had a very useful function: Email Levels. Example: I've created a "night" profile that didn't had any sound notifications for emails/calls/messages, but ringed when receiving a Level1 email. This was very useful for VIP emails that needed to be solved right away (example: crashed servers). Is this function still available on BB 10? If yes, does it applies only to emails or even for Contacts?

BB10 still doesnt quite have the robust profiles that the old BBOS had. Slowly they are adding features back in but as of now its not quite the same.

7) I don't have time to watch TV, so I'm reading a lot of news. I'm really enjoying "Pulse" on iOS/Android. Do I have any similar app on BB10?

I dont think Pulse is in BB World and I am not sure if you can sideload it either.

8) Page loading speed on BB6/7 was horrific. Also YouTube clips were almost unplayable. Has this changed with BB10?

No issues with that at all

9) This one is important: will Q10's battery keep the device juiced up for the entire day (at least 12 hours)? My day drill is simple: email email email email news news email email email. So I don't really do much except read/reply to emails and read news 2-3 times a day. Will the battery keep-up from 8am to 22pm? I don't play games, I don't listed to music, etc.

I think the Q10 should do that for you. Most people like the battery life of the Q over the Z

10) Will I feel like an old-man when using BB10? When using BB7 I was like "you youngsters keep using iOS and Android, I have a business to run so I'll keep using this OS even if it looks 100 years old!". I don't want to be "cool", I don't post Instagram pictures with my food. . But still I want to use an OS that at least keeps the pace with the overall level of quality and usability of the other ecosystems.

Is it matching Android and Apple? No but it is very slowly getting most apps that people are "needing"

11) Are there any rumours of BlackBerry updating the Android Gingerbread runtime? I currently use a bunch of apps that don't exist on BB10 (like RunKeeper) but don't support Gingerbread any more...

Yes they are updating the runtime BUT do not count on it to make all android apps work. Many still dont run at all or have bugs and such.
    imz likes this.
    07-29-13 05:15 AM
    In all honesty, it sounds like your current Android setup is the best for what you need/want, that being said 10.2 might bring a bout more functionality but we're in the waiting room for that one.
    07-29-13 05:23 AM
    Its not instant from what i have noticed, maybe 10 minutes or so.
    Even if connecting to Gmail via Exchange (not IMAP)?

In all honesty, it sounds like your current Android setup is the best for what you need/want, that being said 10.2 might bring a bout more functionality but we're in the waiting room for that one.
    Well it is, except the fact that Google doesn't has any good QWERTY keyboards and writing on a screen really destroys productivity.
    07-29-13 05:49 AM
    1) You can set your account to be synced as often as every 5 minutes. Although, the last time I tested this, it seemed to update almost instantly.

Edit: can't comment on exchange, only tested using imap

2) Not 100% on this, but pretty sure your filters will carry over automatically.

3) Multiple Gmail accounts are supported. Each address is set up as a separate email account within BlackBerry Hub.

4) One of BB10's main selling points is the level of social network integration, especially from BlackBerry Hub. As far as 3rd party apps, it will probably depend on how much the developer decided to take advantage of that.

5) Currently, I don't know of an app that allows you to schedule changes to settings. That may change when the new Android runtime becomes available (see question 11).

6) I don't think this is an option in the current OS version. It may be in upcoming versions (see the leaked OS sub-forum on this site to get an idea of what will be available in the future) .

7) News apps are fairly lacking so far, but there are a few that may be good enough to hold you over. I'm sure you could find a good one to side-load(if you're comfortable doing that) .

8) The browser is widely thought to be one of, if not the best, mobile web experiences available. Personally, it's the best I've experienced.

9) I get about 20 hours of moderate use out of my Z10(48+ for standby and light use). Considering the Q10 has a 16% larger battery than the Z10, I'd say you probably won't have any issues with this.

10) BB10 has brought BlackBerry up to par with the other mobile platforms. Arguably, since the OS is still in very early builds, BB10 is positioned to surpass iOS and Android fairly quickly. Do a Google search for QNX vs Android vs iOS to read articles that shed more light on this discussion.

11) BB10 OS version 10.2, which is rumored to be released some time this fall, will have support for Android runtime 4.2.2(Jellybean). You can experience this right now with the latest leaked OS on these forums.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 06:11 AM
    From my understanding, BB 10 doesn't has "Profiles" nor "Levels"? Those were one of the best things out there for business users.

Thank you all for your replies!
    07-29-13 07:07 AM
    1) it depends of your refreshing settings. I've set mine to 30 min for my work account and that's good enough

2) Gmail filters are applied on their servers so your device won't have to do anything

3) If you have multiple account, or if you receive other mail via your Gmail, it will be ok. If you want to have multiple identity for a single mail, I don't know.

4) Apps are well integrated and usable. The Facebook app isn't bad, but try to test the app if you can. It's easier to post a bad comment than a good one for an app

6) For the level alert, you'll have to wait BB 10.2 or 10.3

7) Maybe sideloading the Pulse app using the new method (native permission) ?

8) Browsing the web and watching a video is really fast now.

9) I only heard good comment on the Q10 battery life

10) No problem

11) 4.2.2 is coming with the 10.2 update (Q3 2013) and should improve the performance of every sideloaded app. But as said before not all app will begin working because of this upgrade.
    07-29-13 09:01 AM