As I get used to my Z10, I'm noticing a few glitches. I'm putting them out here, just in case anyone has any ideas about how to deal with them.

1. I have an ordinary free Gmail account set up. Most of the time it works fine. It's on a 15-minute sync schedule, and normally messages deleted from the Z10 are "deleted" (Well, put into "All Mail") on the server within the 15 minutes, and vice versa for mail deleted from the server. But once in a while, it just doesn't work. That is, mail deleted from the Z10 stays on the server, unread. This appears to happen only with mail that I delete unread on the Z10, and it doesn't happen all the time, or even most of the time. Just once in a while. Any idea what could cause this intermittent failure?

2. I have a work email account on a university Zimbra server. I set it up as ActiveSync, as instructed by IT. This mostly works, but there are some odd things. First, it downloaded a bunch of mail from my inbox, but strangely it omitted the two days prior to my setting up the BB10 account. They're on the server but they just don't appear on the device. Second, while most of the mail that comes to my zimbra inbox shows up on the Z10, some emails just don't get there. They just sit there on the server and don't get pushed to the device. Refreshing the account on the device has no effect. What could cause this?
    Charles K likes this.
    03-28-13 12:11 PM
    Update: It's worse than I thought. Some of the emails that are actually coming in have the wrong headers. That is, I'll see what looks like a duplicate email in the inbox, but one of them is only a duplicate header; the message body is from some other email.

This is serious. It makes the phone unusable for work email. I'm going to see if BBRY tech support can help, if I can get through to them.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 03:58 PM
    Another update: I have this thread all to myself, but I've found that this same email account works just fine on the PlayBook, so the problem seems to be on the Z10, not the email server.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 07:11 AM
    Bummer.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 10:31 AM
    Bummer.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. I'm on the phone with BlackBerry tech support now, for about an hour, and still no luck, but at least we're trying things.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 05:19 PM
    Another update to my private thread:

Over two hours on the phone with tech support resulted in...no progress. In the meantime my workaround is K9, the ported Android email client. Quick setup, works fine. I get hub alerts for new mail too. Until BlackBerry can figure this one out, it'll have to do.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 01:02 PM
    One thing to look at is the setting for "sync timeframe". By default, most EAS clients will not attempt to sync "all available messages" on the server.

The sync timeframe on the Z10 for an EAS account can be set anywhere from 1 to 30 days. Also, the administrator of an EAS-compatible system typically has the option of limiting the age of items synced to mobile devices, so if the administrator has limited the sync timeframe to 7 days, nothing you do on the client is going to be able to exceed that.

Also, the most common system used on the server-side for EAS implementations are Microsoft's own Exchange servers. Microsoft licenses the EAS protocol to other companies, but does not dictate the details of its implementation. So there could be idiosyncracies in how Zimbra implements EAS that might cause unexpected situations in some cases with some clients.

Curious to see what Blackberry has to say about this.

I've recommended the BBworld port of K9 in the past to people experiencing Z10 email bugs, so that's certainly one workaround that can help, glad you found it.
    03-31-13 01:11 PM
    The sync timeframe on the Z10 for an EAS account can be set anywhere from 1 to 30 days. Also, the administrator of an EAS-compatible system typically has the option of limiting the age of items synced to mobile devices, so if the administrator has limited the sync timeframe to 7 days, nothing you do on the client is going to be able to exceed that.
    That's one of the things they had me try first: set the sync time frame to 1 day. It didn't help. After two hours we had to give up because the next thing they wanted to try was a security wipe and start from scratch. So the first step was to backup everything on Link, but we couldn't get that to work either. It detects the Z10 but won't backup anything.

After the phone session was over I did a security wipe anyway and restored everything by hand, out of desperation. Anyway, it didn't help.

Oddly (I think), K9 only worked if I set it up as an IMAP account. But if I set it up in the hub as IMAP it does work.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 02:14 PM
    K9 doesn't support Exchange ActiveSync. (No big surprise: it's an open-source product and EAS is a copyrighted Microsoft protocol that they charge money to license)

So it will work with either Gmail setup as IMAP, or an IMAP client for Zimbra if your mail administrator has that function enabled, but EAS is a more sophisticated protocol if the server side supports it.

FYI: EAS also gives the email administrator the ability to do things like wipe all the data off your mobile device. Keep that in mind.
    03-31-13 02:39 PM
    Success! I found that the K9 account wasn't sending email, so I went digging through old documents on the IT Web page. I found the outgoing IMAP server name and put that in, and it worked.

Then I had the idea to use that in the hub setup, using IMAP instead of EAS. Doing so, everything started to work: incoming and outgoing mail, and proper folder sync.

What a relief!

Posted via CB10
    polgara59 likes this.
    03-31-13 09:10 PM
    Success! I found that the K9 account wasn't sending email, so I went digging through old documents on the IT Web page. I found the outgoing IMAP server name and put that in, and it worked.

Then I had the idea to use that in the hub setup, using IMAP instead of EAS. Doing so, everything started to work: incoming and outgoing mail, and proper folder sync.

What a relief!

Awesome and congratulations.
    03-31-13 09:33 PM
    Thanks for your help!

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 09:44 PM
    I realize this is an ancient thread at this point, but I just discovered some new info about Zimbra and BlackBerry 10 that could be of interest to this email issue:

Activesync issue with 10.2.1.1055 and Zimbra (Post #25, object #9893960)
    01-23-14 10:27 PM