Is that the same as https://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/ because from my limited understanding that is what Chrome is using.
    Nope (well I think anyway, I'll have to fire up my Nexus), the one chrome is using is only fully supported by three main stream browsers and partially in the old AOSP browser

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 03:13 PM
    Nope (well I think anyway, I'll have to fire up my Nexus), the one chrome is using is only fully supported by three main stream browsers and partially in the old AOSP browser

Posted via CB10
    The WRC link above was from this story. Facebook, eBay, Vice News And Others First To Support Chrome�s New Push Notifications. What you linked has screenshots from a WRC standard of 2013? It wouldn't seem that Chrome would take that long to implement something that old from WRC
    03-16-16 03:25 PM
    The WRC link above was from this story. Facebook, eBay, Vice News And Others First To Support Chrome�s New Push Notifications. What you linked has screenshots from a WRC standard of 2013? It wouldn't seem that Chrome would take that long to implement something that old from WRC
    Mine was the older API, there are two of them these days; the Push Notifications API which is reasonably new and the old One which BB10 supports.

I guess Facebook could use the old API if they wanted to, I don't see it been hard.
    It wouldn't work with the browser closed though

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 03:31 PM
    It seems pretty simple to me... FB makes revenue via advertising. BlackBerry HUB and FB by BlackBerry both blocked advertising.

FB gets upset and demands access to the right to advertise to their users and BlackBerry says FU.

Is there any truth to this?

I know for certain that both Apple and Android phones allow advertising via their FB apps.

Posted via CB10
    BBHermes and David Tyler like this.
    03-16-16 07:50 PM
    The second step after accumulating users is finding ways to monetize them. FB is doing it very well with Instagram, Snapchat and Whatsapp finding similar paths. Its probably a combination of many factors: BB commitment to FB app development, advertising opportunity, control of app environment etc.
    BBHermes and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    03-16-16 07:54 PM
    It seems pretty simple to me... FB makes revenue via advertising. BlackBerry HUB and FB by BlackBerry both blocked advertising.

FB gets upset and demands access to the right to advertise to their users and BlackBerry says FU.

I know for certain that both Apple and Android phones allow advertising via their FB apps.

Posted via CB10
    This sounds like it could be on the right track track..

But whether the above is correct or not, Facebook is starting to alarm me more than even Google. The new Reaction system is downright creepy... Algorithms to profile everyone down to their emotional makeup. Even if BlackBerry were twenty times as popular FB there might still be a problem.

I still have a facebook account but I am slowly disengaging from the entire ecosystem, including WhatsApp, Instagram, etc.

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku and David Tyler like this.
    03-17-16 12:14 AM
    This sounds like it could be on the right track track..

But whether the above is correct or not, Facebook is starting to alarm me more than even Google. The new Reaction system is downright creepy... Algorithms to profile everyone down to their emotional makeup. Even if BlackBerry were twenty times as popular FB there might still be a problem.

I still have a facebook account but I am slowly disengaging from the entire ecosystem, including WhatsApp, Instagram, etc.

Posted via CB10
    And that might be the feeling of many "typical" BlackBerry users... there are plenty of post here saying "I don't even use FaceBook".

So between the corporate devices that are locked down, and the anti-social/security conscious makeup of the BlackBerry user base..... FaceBook knows that they aren't a customer base worth supporting. It is only 15 - 20 million users and dropping pretty quickly, by the end of the year I'd expect there only to be about 5 Million BB10 users, and maybe about that many BBOS users.

The big issue is really for those BBOS users... I remember just how good the BBOS Browser was. Having to access FaceBook using the browser will not be a pleasant experience for them.
    03-17-16 07:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    C'mon dude, that's ridiculous. We all know for absolute fact that it was Chen himself who killed the Facebook app, and for no other reason than to finally kill off BB10.

Seriously though, if a picture of the typical BB10 user could be drawn from CrackBerry, why would Facebook bother? As for advertisements, the BB10 FB app still shown those ads that appeared inside the feed.

And that might be the feeling of many "typical" BlackBerry users... there are plenty of post here saying "I don't even use FaceBook".

So between the corporate devices that are locked down, and the anti-social/security conscious makeup of the BlackBerry user base..... FaceBook knows that they aren't a customer base worth supporting. It is only 15 - 20 million users and dropping pretty quickly, by the end of the year I'd expect there only to be about 5 Million BB10 users, and maybe about that many BBOS users.
    Absolutely, correct.
    03-17-16 09:53 AM
    The second step after accumulating users is finding ways to monetize them. FB is doing it very well with Instagram, Snapchat and Whatsapp finding similar paths. Its probably a combination of many factors: BB commitment to FB app development, advertising opportunity, control of app environment etc.
    The scary thing.... will BlackBerry even bother to continue to develop for BB10. As the crossplatform userbase increase, and as BlackBerry tries to make BBM more useful (and profitable)... will BB10 be dropped?
    03-17-16 11:08 AM
    The scary thing.... will BlackBerry even bother to continue to develop for BB10. As the crossplatform userbase increase, and as BlackBerry tries to make BBM more useful (and profitable)... will BB10 be dropped?
    Fewer staffing and resources, then it's the most logical outcome. The moment you see them launch a new app but doesn't come for BB10, then you know for sure.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    03-17-16 11:22 AM
    I don't see how they could do that with BB10 being the only platform supporting video calls. But if BlackBerry were to add x-platform features AND drop video calling for BB10, that would be nothing short of pure evil...

My sense is that even BlackBerry wouldn't stoop that low. Even if and when BB10 is entirely EOL'd, they should give reasonable notice to their customers.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 12:00 PM
    I don't see how they could do that with BB10 being the only platform supporting video calls. But if BlackBerry were to add x-platform features AND drop video calling for BB10, that would be nothing short of pure evil...

My sense is that even BlackBerry wouldn't stoop that low. Even if and when BB10 is entirely EOL'd, they should give reasonable notice to their customers.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure they'll give customers the same amount of warning and app updates that the PlayBook owners got.
    AllanQuatermain and JeepBB like this.
    03-17-16 01:10 PM
    C'mon dude, that's ridiculous. We all know for absolute fact that it was Chen himself who killed the Facebook app, and for no other reason than to finally kill off BB10.
    ==========
    We fought back to work with WhatsApp and Facebook to change their minds, but at this time, their decision stands
    ==========

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/03/...per-community/

Chen announced a Twitter update today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnChen/...inkId=22395851

FWIW (probably not much...)

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 02:35 PM
    PS

Chen just announced " I care about BB10"

https://twitter.com/JohnChen/status/...inkId=22395853

Again, FWIW

[I don't use twitter; the BlackBerry Channel carried the link.]

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 02:47 PM
    In all of the fuss surrounding the Facebook anti-update on BB10 and BBOS there is something not being emphasized and questioned enough:

BlackBerry Facebook app will cease to work on BlackBerry 10 and BBOS from March 31st

=======
    BlackBerry point out that the reason why Android and iOS continue to have a native application, but not BlackBerry is down to the fact the native Facebook application on other platforms use a private API not available for general use, and has not been made available to BlackBerry.
    =======

The big question is, Why?

Why give the api to Apple and Google (and, I presume, Windows), but not BB?

Why should FB care? They are not the ones developing the app, unlike the case with WhatsApp.

Is there some feature in that api that caused BlackBerry to refuse to license it?

I'm suspicious of both FB and their subsidiary WhatsApp for a number of reasons. This does not negate Blackberry's incompetence, but I suspect there's more to this story than meets the eye.

And why isn't Crackberry covering this story?

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry refused to participate in some excessively invasive data collection or some other nonsense and therefore got left out in the cold. They've said many times they will not do any backdoor etc. So... who knows.

As for why Crackberry isn't covering this... maybe because it doesn't involve the Priv? LOL

PrivBerry.com? LoL

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    03-17-16 07:38 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry refused to participate in some excessively invasive data collection or some other nonsense and therefore got left out in the cold. They've said many times they will not do any backdoor etc. So... who knows.

As for why Crackberry isn't covering this... maybe because it doesn't involve the Priv? LOL

PrivBerry.com? LoL

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    BlackBerry never had a problem before with Facebook excessive data mining.

Don't see why they would now

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-17-16 08:49 PM
    BlackBerry never had a problem before with Facebook excessive data mining.

Don't see why they would now

Posted via CB10
    Could you elaborate? Any possibility that FB's invasive data- mining crossed a red threshold for BB?

It would be useful to know the exact reason FB is withholding its precious api, and it's not merely Blackberry's small market share...

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 10:31 PM
    Could you elaborate? Any possibility that FB's invasive data- mining crossed a red threshold for BB?

It would be useful to know the exact reason FB is withholding its precious api, and it's not merely Blackberry's small market share...

Posted via CB10
    I can recall on bbos that the Facebook app dipped into your contacts and sent them invites to join Facebook.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    03-18-16 06:38 AM

It seems you are looking for something complicated or mysterious when the answer is extremely simple. FB wants to control the user experience. They want people using FB's apps and no one else's.

It really is that straightforward.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-18-16 06:59 AM
    ... And that might be the feeling of many "typical" BlackBerry users... there are plenty of post here saying "I don't even use FaceBook"... The big issue is really for those BBOS users... I remember just how good the BBOS Browser was. Having to access FaceBook using the browser will not be a pleasant experience for them.
    Don't use Facebook? That's me! I was an "early-adapter" of being creeped out by FB -- and you are SO right about the people using BBOS: The browser options are just not practical in BBOS-land. I use a Bold 9900 sometimes when I need nothing more than to be available by phone or BBM, and everything takes forever to load on the native and Opera browsers.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    03-18-16 07:36 AM

>APPLAUSE!!<

A long time ago, I was mulling over the pre-IPO valuations of the company. I thought, "Well, if it's free, how do they make money?"

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    03-18-16 07:42 AM
    It seems you are looking for something complicated or mysterious when the answer is extremely simple. FB wants to control the user experience. They want people using FB's apps and no one else's.

I wouldn't be surprised if FaceBook starts cracking down on those 3rd Party Apps like SnapChat did. In the long run that would be best for end users as those 3rd party apps are "potential" security risks for users.
    03-18-16 09:17 AM
    This is all about monetization. BlackBerry Facebook app is used by a far less proportion than IOS and Android. FB makes money from advertising and a BlackBerry developed FB app for bb10 does not serve ads. The same reason they don't want to invest in a FB developed BB10 FB app. They don't see it as a positive ROI and are more interested in bottom line

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 09:29 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised if FaceBook starts cracking down on those 3rd Party Apps like SnapChat did. In the long run that would be best for end users as those 3rd party apps are "potential" security risks for users.
    *Potential* security risks to an *actual* security/privacy risk (FB)...

Even more reason to disengage from the entire FB Matrix <cough>, er, ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 09:31 AM

Not looking for anything "complicated or mysterious," lol. In fact I'm pretty sure that you're right. It's more about control (and less about market share.)

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 09:42 AM
58 123