Please correct me if im wrong.

Ive known for a while now (and im sure that many do) that androids can be rooted and iOS can be jailbreaked.

Does this mean that both those OSes are completely unsecured and almost anyone is able to tap into every layer of the OS?

There are even how-to-dos and wikipedia entries on jailbreaking iOS and rooting androids

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android_OS)

If this is true that why in the world would any major company use iOS or android.

And more importantly why isnt BlackBerry promoting this fact?

Differentiate or Die
    07-20-14 04:17 PM

Ive known for a while now (and im sure that many do) that androids can be rooted and iOS can be jailbreaked.

Does this mean that both those OSes are completely unsecured and almost anyone is able to tap into every layer of the OS?

Differentiate or Die
    you mean once rooted/jailbroken they are completely unsecure?
    07-20-14 04:21 PM
    you mean once rooted/jailbroken they are completely unsecure?
    The wikipedia links I posted in edit explains everything.

And yes by rooting or jailbreaking you are removing almost all security and privacy protection on your device.

However, It is noted on the wikipedia article, that iOS places more importance on security and privacy compared to android which does not have much at all.

Differentiate or Die
    07-20-14 04:25 PM
    So for example am I able to jailbreak an iphone and/or root an android to bypass device passwords and access a phone?

Because if one could then the world must be crazy to not want a BlackBerry.

Differentiate or Die
    07-20-14 04:36 PM
    The wikipedia links I posted in edit explains everything.

And yes by rooting or jailbreaking you are removing almost all security and privacy protection on your device.

However, It is noted on the wikipedia article, that iOS places more importance on security and privacy compared to android which does not have much at all.

Differentiate or Die
    Rooting does not remove all security at all. Simple security measures are still just as valid as before. Setting a simple password on the device is the best security measure anyone can take for any device and solves the majority of concerns for the average person imo
    07-20-14 04:39 PM

There are even how-to-dos and wikipedia entries on jailbreaking iOS and rooting androids

iOS jailbreaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rooting (Android OS) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If this is true that why in the world would any major company use iOS or android.

And more importantly why isnt BlackBerry promoting this fact?

Differentiate or Die

Many corporations that allow for iOS/Android normally use MDM solutions - such as AirWatch, etc ... will have detectors of a specific version of either OS to be allowed to be administered and also to detect jailbroken or rooted and usually disallow that to be administered.
    07-20-14 04:56 PM
    Rooting and jailbreaking is done by exploiting unpatched security vulnerabilities as far as I understand, which would imply Android and iOS are broken security-wise.

Average end-users don't care, and advanced users probably consider these security flaws selling points.

There is nothing to advertise here.
    07-20-14 05:14 PM
    Many corporations that allow for iOS/Android normally use MDM solutions - such as AirWatch, etc ... will have detectors of a specific version of either OS to be allowed to be administered and also to detect jailbroken or rooted and usually disallow that to be administered.
    As does BES 10.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 05:22 PM
    No OS is totally secure currently most hackers focus on what has the highest return rate and that's simply ios and android but it bb10 would be the major OS with 40% or so - trust me people would focus on jail breaking bb10

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 05:39 PM
    No OS is totally secure currently most hackers focus on what has the highest return rate and that's simply ios and android but it bb10 would be the major OS with 40% or so - trust me people would focus on jail breaking bb10

Posted via CB10
    That would imply that BBOS 7 was rootable or jailbreakable but I think hackers during the time when everyone had a BlackBerry didnt have the same kind of success with hacking as they do now with iphones or androids.

Differentiate or Die
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    07-20-14 05:45 PM
    Businesses may have significant concerns about mobile security but that doesn't mean that they automatically reach for Blackberry. Making basic security features easier for the use, for example, may do more than trying to keep hackers at bay. They may see Touch ID as being the best way to ensure that devices are locked when not in use.
    07-20-14 06:05 PM