I saw these comments on another post:

Bla1ze
    It's over man. Eventually, with all the services BlackBerry will end up removing and shutting down, your smartphone will become a dumb phone.

Chuck Finley69
    If still good for you until 12/31/2019, enjoy. Shareholders just want all negative cash flow to go away.

So my question is, are you just talking about the BBM server and BlackBerry world?
    Since if I understand right if you use link/and or another backup solution, you can restore from it your programs and hence continue to enjoy what you like about the OS..
    Or am I understanding wrong?

Thanks!
    03-16-18 02:59 PM
    So my question is, are you just talking about the BBM server and BlackBerry world?
    Not talking about any one specific thing. It's the accumumlation of it all. The more and more services that get shut down, the less things are going to work. The whole OS 'calls home' to so many things, it's bound to break things. It has already started with apps disappearing, BlackBerry World eventually being shut down, integrations no longer working.

Since if I understand right if you use link/and or another backup solution, you can restore from it your programs and hence continue to enjoy what you like about the OS..
    Or am I understanding wrong?
    You can, provided everything needed to make those apps work is also working.

For example: If someone decides they no longer want to run the server the app communicates with since it only caters to BB10 users, then there goes your app. Just because you have a backup doesn't mean all the other components needed to make that app work are going to be there.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-16-18 03:07 PM
    Thanks Bla1ze for explaining to me . Feel better - from the tone of the original posts above it sounded like it OS 10 would instantly just going to turn into a brick instead of slowly degrading and letting me choose when i've had enough . I actually have a Priv too but really just like my Q10.

And yeah I know what you mean about degrading - I used to use a lot of Windows Mobile devices too and it died shockingly fast, because of a lack of developers supporting internet based apps.
    03-16-18 05:02 PM
    That's the cloud for you. One of the best marketing tricks for planned obsolescence sold to us as "great feature , most of the time free to use".

Posted via CB10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    03-16-18 08:37 PM
    Thanks Bla1ze for explaining to me . Feel better - from the tone of the original posts above it sounded like it OS 10 would instantly just going to turn into a brick instead of slowly degrading and letting me choose when i've had enough . I actually have a Priv too but really just like my Q10.

And yeah I know what you mean about degrading - I used to use a lot of Windows Mobile devices too and it died shockingly fast, because of a lack of developers supporting internet based apps.
    The thread you are quoting from is still open, and the post I'll quote here responding to someone else relates exactly to your concerns...

The difference between you examples and your BB10 is, one day, your secure handset will reach out for security validation, and there won't be a server on the other end to shake back. Till then, as all the "haters" have said over and over, use it if it's what you want to use. Just use it with open eyes, and realistic expectations, or the anger you feel right now will be exponentially greater.
    When the BB10 servers go dark, the phones most likely will continue to work. A reboot might be an issue. If you have to reload your OS for any reason, that definitely will be an issue. When you are required to verify your BBID, it won't happen, and then you most likely will indeed have a brick. BBOS phones didn't use the same security method, thus can function without BIS, though in quite a limited fashion.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-16-18 09:06 PM
    When the BB10 servers go dark, the phones most likely will continue to work. A reboot might be an issue. If you have to reload your OS for any reason, that definitely will be an issue. When you are required to verify your BBID, it won't happen, and then you most likely will indeed have a brick. BBOS phones didn't use the same security method, thus can function without BIS, though in quite a limited fashion.
    I'm definitely curious to learn more. Why would a reboot be an issue?
    If you do a factory reset, I think the software itself is stored on the phone - I could see why it would be an issue once you boot up the phone and it wants you to supply the blackberry ID to access previously purchased software - but couldn't you just do the restore and then hook it up to link to restore your old id/software that way instead?
    Just curious - if my understanding is wrong I would love to know.

Thanks
    03-17-18 02:50 AM
    If one can't reboot the phone even after 31/12/2019.
    That would be unacceptable for me at least.
    Rest lets see what happens.
    Hoping BlackBerry issues some sort of a confirmation that time around

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    03-17-18 03:08 AM
    I reboot my phone with the radios off or in remote locations with no signal all the time. No servers are required to reboot a BB10 phone.

As for reloading the OS, that's a different question. It is possible that, if the server required to validate your BBID doesn't respond, it might not be possible to complete the set up process. But, as someone who has never had to reload the OS in five years, I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be. It's also possible that

One protective thing that might make sense would be to perform a full security wipe and reinstall of only necessary native apps prior to the end of support to give yourself as clean a set up as possible to prevent the need to restore later. Also, turn off BlackBerry Protect in case that's no longer supported.

Personally, I would not be at all surprised if I'm still using BB10 for email long after the end of support, until either the radio bands on my phones are obsolete or until email protocols change.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    BigBadWulf and playfoot like this.
    03-17-18 10:09 AM
    Like I said, a reboot might cause an issue, a reload most probably would cause an issue. Once the servers are terminated, purchasing a phone would be useless, and if you switch phones that would no longer be possible. Email might not work through the hub. Interesting times ahead for sure.
    jafobabe and Mecca EL like this.
    03-17-18 11:41 AM
    In my opinion BB could turn off everything but the validation of your BBID and I would be fine. The companie's actions on BB World and therefore on apps are pretty limited since apps won't be updated from now on anyways. So it's gonna be a slow death. Hopes on some smaller independent devs like Mikhail Chachkouski, who brought back DropBox as his Basket.

I really would be surprised if a company like BB (or any company at all) couldn't just leave the login info for BB IDs stored somewhere to simply log in and make the phone at least usable as is. The operational costs should be marginal compared to BB World / BBM for example.
    03-17-18 11:57 AM
    Like I said, a reboot might cause an issue, a reload most probably would cause an issue. Once the servers are terminated, purchasing a phone would be useless, and if you switch phones that would no longer be possible. Email might not work through the hub. Interesting times ahead for sure.
    Thanks for the clarification means 2019 will be EOL for all BB10 phones . Sad but true .
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-18-18 02:45 AM
    The thread you are quoting from is still open, and the post I'll quote here responding to someone else relates exactly to your concerns...

I also think people worry about nothing.......The phone works now so enjoy it. If and when the close down the system completely by then the OS will be well past its prime, and I would think that most Android Apps would have stopped by then.....So until then let's, let the good times roll.

Woof!
    jafobabe likes this.
    03-18-18 09:17 AM
    I also think people worry about nothing.......The phone works now so enjoy it. If and when the close down the system completely by then the OS will be well past its prime, and I would think that most Android Apps would have stopped by then.....So until then let's, let the good times roll.

Woof!
    Some people are committed to staying on BB10 longer than you are since we are happy to keep what we have and our needs are simpler. And so it's logical for them worry and make small changes like turning off protect or backing up to link if it allows them to keep their devices working.
    Just because you don't care to preserve it doesn't mean everyone should share your values, no offence. Not everyone wants to be on a couple year forced upgrade cycle.
    03-18-18 03:38 PM
    At the very least; if the OS calls home for something as basic as proximity sensors, how much else is tied to the mothership, and will go down with it by 2019?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-18-18 04:30 PM
    At the very least; if the OS calls home for something as basic as proximity sensors, how much else is tied to the mothership, and will go down with it by 2019?
    Interesting Well we will find out I guess. Kind of like the much feared Y2k.. in that case people thought like all computers would crash and meltdown but nothing really happened.
    03-18-18 04:41 PM
    Interesting Well we will find out I guess. Kind of like the much feared Y2k.. in that case people thought like all computers would crash and meltdown but nothing really happened.
    Y2K was definitely media over-hype. I hope for all who want to continue long past the EOL that BB10 continues to function, but it would be irresponsible to not sound a warning. Y'all should prepare for the worst with some form of backup, in the event the phone becomes a brick.
    03-18-18 05:34 PM
    Nothing happened because companies all over the world spent billions of dollars and millions of hours revising code or migrating legacy systems to newer ones. That makes the comparison just slightly different.
    03-18-18 09:42 PM
    Nothing happened because companies all over the world spent billions of dollars and millions of hours revising code or migrating legacy systems to newer ones. That makes the comparison just slightly different.
    I'd love to read something definitive, that the estimated 300 billion was necessary. Nearly 2 decades later, it still seems debatable.
    03-18-18 10:01 PM
    A lot of money definitely was spent (estimates were up to 600 Billion), but it has been unclear just how and if that money spent was justified and even effective. There are reports of money spent just to fend off litigation. I think you can find many so called experts on the subject who believe that the Y2K crisis was a gross overreaction and the money thrown at the problem did not really "fix" anything.
    03-18-18 10:02 PM
    A lot of money definitely was spent (estimates were up to 600 Billion), but it has been unclear just how and if that money spent was justified and even effective. There are reports of money spent just to fend off litigation. I think you can find many so called experts on the subject who believe that the Y2K crisis was a gross overreaction and the money thrown at the problem did not really "fix" anything.
    Y2K was a very well-established, simple-to-understand problem that was expensive and time-consuming to fix - but that money and time WAS spent to fix it, and the fact that those systems didn't crash on 1/1/2000 is proof that those fixes were correctly implemented. Had the money not been spent, then problems would have happened - potentially big problems.

I don't understand why people think it "wasn't a problem" and then question the spending time and treasure to fix it - successfully - and then trying to use that success to justify the position that it wasn't a problem. It's one or the other - and history shows that the effort was almost completely successful. Of course, we had an advantage of knowing years in advance that it was coming, and could prepare and budget for it.

Also, even if some people spent money for liability reasons, if that saved billions of dollars in lawsuits, it was money well-spent.
    Invictus0 and StephanieMaks like this.
    03-18-18 10:09 PM
    Y2K was a very well-established, simple-to-understand problem that was expensive and time-consuming to fix - but that money and time WAS spent to fix it, and the fact that those systems didn't crash on 1/1/2000 is proof that those fixes were correctly implemented.
    Surely there was a lab somewhere, with a bank of computers left in their endangered state, that proved the fix was necessary?

Yeah, we've zinged off topic, but the topic has been covered to the degree it can till the servers go dark.
    03-18-18 10:15 PM
    Well we will just have to agree to disagree I guess. Since I was working in IT at the time and yes our firm was paid large sums of money for such issues.. but the truth my Windows 95 Computer system, which wasn't patched, still worked fine on the dreaded day... and there was many organization servers running in basements that never got patched that also didn't implode.
    There was some minor issues that organizations fixed but the reality of the problem and the actual media hype that surrounded it was bizarre.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-18-18 11:14 PM
    Well we will just have to agree to disagree I guess. Since I was working in IT at the time and yes our firm was paid large sums of money for such issues.. but the truth my Windows 95 Computer system, which wasn't patched, still worked fine on the dreaded day... and there was many organization servers running in basements that never got patched that also didn't implode.
    There was some minor issues that organizations fixed but the reality of the problem and the actual media hype that surrounded it was bizarre.
    Yeah, I'll continue to veer off.

The issue was the degree of how systems were affected. PCs running Win 95/98 were not critical infrastructure systems running custom code from the 70s and early 80s.

I had a Micron PC from '95 that was running Win 98 by then (it started life on DOS 6 and Win 3.11 for Workgroups), and when midnight struck for 1-1-2000, my computer actually changed to 1900. There was no pre-emptive fix. Just wait, and manually change the year to 2000 in the BIOS, then continue on with life. I used that PC for about two more years. Many PCs at that certainly were affected even less than that.

That doesn't mean that many large networked systems weren't vulnerable. Now I'm sure some of those system probably couldn't care less what year it was. While others probably were very dependant on that dsate
    BigBadWulf and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    03-19-18 01:16 AM
    On the one hand, the topics on this forum would be absolutely hilarious if every BB10 phone bricked all at once.

On the other hand, BlackBerry will most likely issue a patch (10.3.4! Hallelujah!) that keeps this from happening so that people can continue using their phones.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-19-18 05:30 AM
    On the one hand, the topics on this forum would be absolutely hilarious if every BB10 phone bricked all at once.

On the other hand, BlackBerry will most likely issue a patch (10.3.4! Hallelujah!) that keeps this from happening so that people can continue using their phones.
    An unsecurity patch? I likes!
    Troy Tiscareno and Mecca EL like this.
    03-19-18 07:29 AM
83 123 ...