I was wondering ...
    What if (a) BB10 (compatibility update) dropped on PB prior to phones ?

Looks like a dummy idea, but would make devs able to publish apps sooner ...
    What do you think ?
    05-04-12 06:41 AM
    When BB10 is available for the developers, then you will know it will be on the PlayBook soon. But, they probably will hold that off until closer to the release date of phones.
    05-04-12 07:28 AM
    they have said for quite some time BB10 on the PB will come after the phones. But much of the BB10 work will already be in the PB and its coming updates. It should still be a worthy upgrade though when the PB gets it.
    05-04-12 07:35 AM
    It seems like the backend of the PB os is the same as bb10 and it's the ui and native applications that is the difference between the two.

Also it seems to me that bb10 keyboard device will probable be a torch type device preserving the the aspect ratio of the screen. And the other physical keyboards might be on some of the "lower end" phones. I can see them dropping the curve and lowering the price on the 99x0 devices and ditching the torch for the higher end bb10 torch to me the bold and curve are to similar. So bold with os7.x and torch and touchscreen only, and playbook os10.
    05-04-12 08:14 AM
    Well, my bad English again (?) ... (I had read about scheduled BB10 full OS release prior to this post)

What I meant was "the ability to run Cascade apps on PB" ... which seems to be already available in (PB OS like) alpha device. Let's say something that would be a "compatibility box" ...
    05-07-12 04:22 AM
    We've asked numerous times at this point, each time with a consistent answer. The true Cascades support will simply not be available for the PlayBook until it's running BB10, which will not be until after the BB10 phones are released.

I believe someone dug deep and then pestered some RIM people until they admitted it was conceivable that you could sort of cruft something together, and maybe it would work, sort of, but you wouldn't be happy with the results.

I don't know of any devs (yet) who would waste their time trying that when they could be focused on building for BB10 instead. That's what I plan to do anyway... no Cascades for PB until BB10 is slightly disappointing to me, but it's a clear statement and makes my strategy pretty straight-forward, so on balance I'm happy with that.
    anon(375378) and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-07-12 11:11 AM
    We've asked numerous times at this point, each time with a consistent answer. The true Cascades support will simply not be available for the PlayBook until it's running BB10, which will not be until after the BB10 phones are released.

I believe someone dug deep and then pestered some RIM people until they admitted it was conceivable that you could sort of cruft something together, and maybe it would work, sort of, but you wouldn't be happy with the results.

I don't know of any devs (yet) who would waste their time trying that when they could be focused on building for BB10 instead. That's what I plan to do anyway... no Cascades for PB until BB10 is slightly disappointing to me, but it's a clear statement and makes my strategy pretty straight-forward, so on balance I'm happy with that.
    Thanks for these answers ...
    So the current OS on the alpha device can't be (as is - it's not about making it operational) pushed on the PB ... Well, I hope I can get an alpha when Jam comes to France ... I could even pay for that. Emulator is not very convenient ... it's the least I can say ...
    05-10-12 02:55 AM
    I think it should come out on Playbook before the phones, but it appears from theses comments that RIM is going to make it after. Hopefully some Cascades magic will be in 2.1. Also want a non-Air based browser as part of that update.
    05-10-12 06:25 AM
    There's another thread around somewhere where xsacha says he's been able to build PlayBook apps using the libraries from the Alpha. So far I don't recall seeing anyone else who was able to follow his guidance to accomplish the same thing, or at least those who did were encountering things that didn't work properly. That was as of some time yesterday... maybe it's resolved now.

It would mean shipping something like 15MB of libraries with your app, and I also heard someone else say RIM would actually reject Cascades apps for the PlayBook if they were submitted to App World right now, so this would probably be useful only for development. That would suit lots of people though, so keep an eye out for reports of actual success (and not just with a limited set of features available) on that front.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-10-12 04:24 PM
    @peter & inchols : thanks. Peter: yes, the purpose is to "emulate" ... ahum ... the alpha device, not to make apps public nor distributable via AppWorld.
    05-11-12 01:56 AM
    Not completely out of the question that there could be a developer beta like there was for OS2...
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-11-12 02:11 AM
    Not completely out of the question that there could be a developer beta like there was for OS2...
    Glad to read this ... precisely what I'm hoping for. Should have formulated my question like this straight away
    05-11-12 03:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD