I was watching Kevin's demo of BB10 and it seemed to me that when he got a new notification when he went to the hub the display was somewhere in the middle; It seemed like the hub went to where he last left it rather than where the new notification was. Is this how it works? If it is then you really can't peek and see what the notification is, you'd have to go full into the hub and scroll upwards to find the notification. Just looking for some clarification from someone who is using the z10, thanks.
    04-11-13 07:33 AM
    I need to pay attention to this. But, I will say this, if you receive a text message, it tends to remain on the 'text' portion of the Hub. Hence for new items you sort of have to go back on page to the 'main Hub'. Albeit, I've not noticed that it does it if I'm in email, or Twitter, etc. Only seems to do this for text.

Again, I'll have to pay more attention...
    revtech likes this.
    04-11-13 07:42 AM
    If you haven't noticed then it might be fair to say its not a big deal? It just seemed like it would be something that would annoy me. I'm trying to decide if I want a z10 but things like this I can't tell in a store because its not real life usage without notices coming in, etc
    04-11-13 07:57 AM
    Yeah this is a little annoying, but it may be something there's no good answer to.

If I'm in the hub reading an email then swipe over to an app without leaving the email, the next time I "peek" at the hub due to notification it shows me that same email.

The problem here is that I could see it being annoying the other way too. If I left the email open in hub then went to look something up in the browser, I wouldn't want to go back to hub only to find that it lost track of where I was and put me back in the main hub screen.
    retomex and revtech like this.
    04-11-13 08:00 AM
    Good point, I didn't think of that. I was thinking that part of the 'genius' of the 'peek' motion was if the notification was not important you could just release and go back to where you were, in this way it doesn't seem as though you can do that. Maybe there's a workaround somebody's figured out?
    04-11-13 08:08 AM
    It's simple. When you are done reading the message, swipe it to the right , then you'll always have the full hub view when peeking.
    Swipe message right to close it, then swipe left to see your active frames.

Posted from my Z10. via CB10
    sosof and LewLew23 like this.
    04-11-13 08:11 AM
    Kevin did mention this as something he recommended blackberry fix in his o/s review. It's pretty annoying.

Posted via CB10
    revtech likes this.
    04-11-13 08:15 AM
    This is the same feature on older BlackBerrys, if you reading an email and then left by hitting the red button (which is the same thing as swiping up out of the hub back to the home screen) then got a text message and held the BlackBerry menu key and clicked on the message icon it would take you right back to that same email you were reading before.

The hub works the same way, on older devices we were use to clicking the text message icon to go to texts and so on but there was a sort of "Hub" already there legacy devices if you viewed all of your messages together. The difference was most people never used it. If you get a text and want to read the text only click the text message icon just like you did on legacy devices. If you want it to show the newest message in the hub make sure you back out to the main hub before leaving, or it will work like a legacy device.

Now before you say I want it to back me out by itself think of this: I am writing and email and want to copy a url to it, or part of a doc to go or part of text from a web page. I start writing, leave the bub to go find what I want, when I come back I have to now re open my message and scroll to out the cursor where I wanted it. But in bits current form it will be waiting for me when I go back to the hub. This is the point of the feature you are knocking, just remember to swipe to the left when you are done reading things.

Posted via CB10
    retomex likes this.
    04-11-13 08:18 AM
    Not sure how it's "Annoying". What if you are reading or replying to a message and you need info from somewhere else, like a contact. If I left my message to get this info I would have to re open the message after returning, it wouldn't be where u left off, that would be annoying.

EDIT: someone beet me to it.

Swipe right to close the message you are in and return to the hub, swipe again left to return to active frames.

04-11-13 08:20 AM
    tdaye . . I think you might be missing what I'm saying, I know you can swipe out of the email itself, but in the hub-list you will be somewhere in the middle not at the top where your new notification is. Although I'm the one asking the question so I'm not sure if I'm understanding it right either.

and btw rjkolo, I'm not meaning to 'knock' anything, I'm just trying to figure out how it works because its hard to do in a store when you don't have incoming messages like in real life.
    04-11-13 08:33 AM
    If you haven't noticed then it might be fair to say its not a big deal? It just seemed like it would be something that would annoy me. I'm trying to decide if I want a z10 but things like this I can't tell in a store because its not real life usage without notices coming in, etc
    I totally feel your pain on this. I actually chose to add a line instead of just get the z10 outright to run both my phones at once. (I wasn't due for an upgrade anyway and the z10 was 200 and to cancel the extra line is 350. The full price of the phone would have been 600 anyway so it all works out)

The first day in was over the Z10. I hated the hub. I didn't want to get to know my z10 (gestures weren't an issue for me. I have a PlayBook) I just wanted to be done with it. Send it back to the hell from which it came and hunt down and knock the blackberry dude outside of the Barclays center who made me think I could love it. I even cancelled the order for the accessories I had placed on amazon.

Day two, a few hours after I forced myself to put my iPhone aside (the toy I had gotten after a 9930 battery corrosion disaster) and solely use my Z10 I couldn't put it down. It has been glued to my hands ever since. I wash with one hand outside the shower, only half my hair gets done and there's toothpaste all over the sink from my one handed toothpaste on toothbrush method.

Day three I picked up my toy *um* iPhone to play a little words with friends and if felt ridiculous. Like using a Fisher Price leapfrog to play games instead of a PSP. Even the home button feels simply archaic.

I love it in real life. Buy it. Love it.

Posted via CB10
    revtech likes this.
    04-11-13 08:34 AM
    tdaye . . I think you might be missing what I'm saying, I know you can swipe out of the email itself, but in the hub-list you will be somewhere in the middle not at the top where your new notification is. Although I'm the one asking the question so I'm not sure if I'm understanding it right either.
    Oh crap, I get it. You meant If you have a long list in your hub...

revtech likes this.
    04-11-13 08:38 AM
    It's simple. When you are done reading the message, swipe it to the right , then you'll always have the full hub view when peeking.
    Swipe message right to close it, then swipe left to see your active frames.

This is exactly what I do, it seems second nature now.

But to answer your question OP, yeah, if you're scrolled down lets say 12 days or so, exit the hub, and come back to it, you're at that same point you were before (down 12 days in your Hub). So you would have to scroll back up to the top to see your new notification.
    revtech likes this.
    04-11-13 09:05 AM
    This is the same feature on older BlackBerrys, if you reading an email and then left by hitting the red button (which is the same thing as swiping up out of the hub back to the home screen) then got a text message and held the BlackBerry menu key and clicked on the message icon it would take you right back to that same email you were reading before.

The hub works the same way, on older devices we were use to clicking the text message icon to go to texts and so on but there was a sort of "Hub" already there legacy devices if you viewed all of your messages together. The difference was most people never used it. If you get a text and want to read the text only click the text message icon just like you did on legacy devices. If you want it to show the newest message in the hub make sure you back out to the main hub before leaving, or it will work like a legacy device.

Now before you say I want it to back me out by itself think of this: I am writing and email and want to copy a url to it, or part of a doc to go or part of text from a web page. I start writing, leave the bub to go find what I want, when I come back I have to now re open my message and scroll to out the cursor where I wanted it. But in bits current form it will be waiting for me when I go back to the hub. This is the point of the feature you are knocking, just remember to swipe to the left when you are done reading things.

Posted via CB10
    I found it kind of annoying until I read your post... so, this is why it works like this... I remember on legacy blackberries it worked like that too, it just kind of disappeared form my memory.
    rjkolo likes this.
    04-11-13 10:36 AM
    Yup. Multitasking with the same email open is much, much better. Thank you for these posts; it's making my bb10 q10 purchase much easier coming from a Palm Pixi. (though we'll see if it's the $200 q10 or the wait for a midrange.) I liked the post about the pasting a URL from the browser, I do cut and pasting a LOT for work.
    04-11-13 11:15 AM
    Yes, thank you all for the clarification. It appears my observation was correct, but I also now see a reason why it may be that way. Perhaps a setting could be toggled as to whether the user would like to default back to top of hub to see latest notif or back to where one left off to see last viewed item. Seems like both are legitimate wants.

It seems like if the goal is to maintain workflow, then the current arrangement is optimal; if the goal is to periodically peek at new notifications then the current arrangement is not. Perhaps the coders recognized this and chose to go with workflow, but as I said a toggle could allow for user preference (although maybe its not possible to code such an option?).
    04-11-13 12:48 PM
    What do people think of the idea of the Hub resetting its view to the top of the Hub after a period of time spent out of the Hub doing something else? Perhaps this wouldn't be its default behaviour but a setting that could be enabled.

If there were a setting for the timeout period then you could tune it to suit how you use your phone. Some people probably do spend a while composing emails, looking things up on the Web or copying text from documents as they write, so a longer timeout would suit them. For those who keep their email replies quick and snappy a shorter timeout before the Hub view resets would mean when they Peek later they are more likely to see if it's that all important reply rather than the last message they were reading.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 01:33 PM
    Great idea imo . .
    04-11-13 01:56 PM