Hi all,

So lately I've noticed a few things that I never noticed occurred with the same frequency as before during a call.

I've been getting a message on my screen as a call is coming in with the words "incoming call is unconditional" I don't ever recall that really happening but now it occurs with every call. It's no big deal to me, just a change.

Also I am getting more and more people who call me and our calls are HD Voice connected. Are HD calls VoLTE? I know HD calling is a good thing since they sound clearer but I'm having a hard time finding out what this means for any potential 3G shutdown that may be happening soon.

I'm on Freedom Mobile

Thx

Posted via CB10
    10-24-20 01:13 PM
    Hi all,

So lately I've noticed a few things that I never noticed occurred with the same frequency as before during a call.

I've been getting a message on my screen as a call is coming in with the words "incoming call is unconditional" I don't ever recall that really happening but now it occurs with every call. It's no big deal to me, just a change.

Also I am getting more and more people who call me and our calls are HD Voice connected. Are HD calls VoLTE? I know HD calling is a good thing since they sound clearer but I'm having a hard time finding out what this means for any potential 3G shutdown that may be happening soon.

I'm on Freedom Mobile

Thx

Posted via CB10
    I believe HD calls are the same as VoLTE which Is good news for users of Freedom Mobile and other carriers as transition from 3G continues.
    10-24-20 02:21 PM
    I believe HD calls are the same as VoLTE which Is good news for users of Freedom Mobile and other carriers as transition from 3G continues.

Thanks Chuck!

Hopefully this means that some of the hardcore BB 10 fans on CB get to use their hardware for 2021 and onwards for as long as possible for calls and texts.

I know that BB10 has a lot of limitations but for that small segment of the population that needs just a phone to call, text, calendar, email etc, the BB10 phones are great.

We don't have too much runway with some of the US carriers or even with Blackberry support but the longer we can use them, the better.

Thx

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    10-24-20 03:32 PM
    Thanks Chuck!

Hopefully this means that some of the hardcore BB 10 fans on CB get to use their hardware for 2021 and onwards for as long as possible for calls and texts.

I know that BB10 has a lot of limitations but for that small segment of the population that needs just a phone to call, text, calendar, email etc, the BB10 phones are great.

We don't have too much runway with some of the US carriers or even with Blackberry support but the longer we can use them, the better.

Thx

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure how much runway any carrier will continue to maintain. For so long, Freedom, if memory serves, didn't support LTE for many devices, although select OEMs were treated special. Why didn't they allow years ago?

Remember, I'm down here in God's waiting room. I'm curious what carriers in general will do since it's perfectly within smart business to not let a network upgrade get the blame for pushing new hardware.
    10-24-20 05:56 PM
    HD Voice is AT&T's version of VoLTE. However, service is expected to end on all BB10 devices when AT&T starts mandating HD Voice. Not sure if it's because of codec differences or if it's simply they don't want to whitelist the devices. Either way, don't expect your phone will have service in 2022 in the US.

As far as I know, Freedom just piggybacks on AT&T's network.

The other two carries (Tmobile and Verizon) will cut service on all BB10 devices in 2021. These are the only three networks in the states.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-20 08:19 PM
    HD Voice is AT&T's version of VoLTE. However, service is expected to end on all BB10 devices when AT&T starts mandating HD Voice. Not sure if it's because of codec differences or if it's simply they don't want to whitelist the devices. Either way, don't expect your phone will have service in 2022 in the US.

As far as I know, Freedom just piggybacks on AT&T's network.

The other two carries (Tmobile and Verizon) will cut service on all BB10 devices in 2021. These are the only three networks in the states.

Posted via CB10
    AT&T BB10 carrier branded hardware Z10, Q10, Classic and Passport should all be whitelisted already, unless there’s something else necessary that I’m missing.
    10-24-20 09:08 PM
    I am not the resident expert on tech or mobile carriers but I do think the Canadian carriers will have a longer life on 3G than the US ones.

I don't know how much longer but I would guess if AT&T shuts their network down in 2022 than Canada's big 3 maybe a year or two down the road.

Like I had said I don't anticipate a long runway in Canada for me using BB 10, I am really hoping that any potential offering from Onward Mobility really appeals to me and I can finally update to what everyone says is a modern smartphone.

I've just noticed more and more contacts on various Canadian carriers are allowing HD voice and the all quality sounds great.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-20 02:44 AM
    I am not the resident expert on tech or mobile carriers but I do think the Canadian carriers will have a longer life on 3G than the US ones.

I don't know how much longer but I would guess if AT&T shuts their network down in 2022 than Canada's big 3 maybe a year or two down the road.

Like I had said I don't anticipate a long runway in Canada for me using BB 10, I am really hoping that any potential offering from Onward Mobility really appeals to me and I can finally update to what everyone says is a modern smartphone.

I've just noticed more and more contacts on various Canadian carriers are allowing HD voice and the all quality sounds great.

Posted via CB10
    I have read elsewhere that AT&T is only holding off with shutting down 3G earlier because it’s 5G implementation has been delayed but they’re attempting to accelerate with additional bandwidth. I’m not sure about the Canadian rollout of 4G/LTE if before or after USA rollout.
    10-25-20 07:12 AM
    All this talk of carrier support for BB10 makes me glad I'm now SIM-less on my handheld devices. Technically, I still have a SIM in my iPhone, but I don't use my SIM number for voice or SMS. I just use the mobile data and VOIP for calls and SMS.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    10-25-20 10:01 PM
    All this talk of carrier support for BB10 makes me glad I'm now SIM-less on my handheld devices. Technically, I still have a SIM in my iPhone, but I don't use my SIM number for voice or SMS. I just use the mobile data and VOIP for calls and SMS.

I think you may have mentioned in another thread about how you have your BB10 device set up without a SIM.

Could you expand on that in this thread?

I doubt I'll need it longer term but always nice to learn from some of the pros on CB

Posted via CB10
    10-25-20 11:56 PM
    AT&T BB10 carrier branded hardware Z10, Q10, Classic and Passport should all be whitelisted already, unless there’s something else necessary that I’m missing.
    iPhone 5s is another phone that supports HD Voice, but service will stop in 2/2022 according to AT&T

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=6azGf6TC

My understanding is that either the codecs have changed, or they're just **** canning old devices this time in prep for future changes. I could be entirely wrong, but it's something to watch for.

Either way, ATT and it's lessees will be the last carriers state side to support BB10. Verizon, TMobile, and all their lessees end their service 1/2021...

Posted via CB10
    10-26-20 12:26 AM
    I think you may have mentioned in another thread about how you have your BB10 device set up without a SIM.

Could you expand on that in this thread?

I doubt I'll need it longer term but always nice to learn from some of the pros on CB

Posted via CB10
    Happy to. It's dead simple, though it might not meet your needs.

Nowadays, I primarily use my BB10 phone for its stock functionality (Hub, Contacts, Calendar, and Remember Notes and Tasks). I no longer use it for phone calls or messaging. I won't use the Android Runtime because I don't want to run old versions of Android apps, and because using it degrades performance too much.

I also use it extensively for reading news articles and Kindle books, as I have the original BB10 Kindle app which works great, but which is no longer available for new downloads.

Finally, I use my BB10 phone extensive for listening to music, as I own several thousand hi-res digital albums.

I am using my BB10 phone for my business domains and primary personal account (a total of 4 email accounts, calendars, etc.)

I use it exclusively via WiFi in three ways: home and work secured WiFi networks; tethered to my iPhone WiFi hotspot (much faster downloads than my 2012 tech BB10 phone could manage with a SIM!) or with a dedicated mobile hotspot (with a 20GB monthly cap).

I use my iPhone for notifications and messaging apps, primarily, plus a few other apps.

During a typical day, I am 80% BB10, 10% iPhone. I live the very focused experience that my BB10 phone offers for work and music with almost no distractions other than important email communications and task and calendar reminders.

I hope that answers your question. I know my approach won't work for most people, but it's my favorite mobile configuration since the simpler days of 2004-7 when I had a BlackBerry for work and a Treo for personal.

10-26-20 07:10 AM
    Happy to. It's dead simple, though it might not meet your needs.

Nowadays, I primarily use my BB10 phone for its stock functionality (Hub, Contacts, Calendar, and Remember Notes and Tasks). I no longer use it for phone calls or messaging. I won't use the Android Runtime because I don't want to run old versions of Android apps, and because using it degrades performance too much.

I also use it extensively for reading news articles and Kindle books, as I have the original BB10 Kindle app which works great, but which is no longer available for new downloads.

Finally, I use my BB10 phone extensive for listening to music, as I own several thousand hi-res digital albums.

I am using my BB10 phone for my business domains and primary personal account (a total of 4 email accounts, calendars, etc.)

I use it exclusively via WiFi in three ways: home and work secured WiFi networks; tethered to my iPhone WiFi hotspot (much faster downloads than my 2012 tech BB10 phone could manage with a SIM!) or with a dedicated mobile hotspot (with a 20GB monthly cap).

I use my iPhone for notifications and messaging apps, primarily, plus a few other apps.

During a typical day, I am 80% BB10, 10% iPhone. I live the very focused experience that my BB10 phone offers for work and music with almost no distractions other than important email communications and task and calendar reminders.

I hope that answers your question. I know my approach won't work for most people, but it's my favorite mobile configuration since the simpler days of 2004-7 when I had a BlackBerry for work and a Treo for personal.

Excellent write up! Many thanks

Posted via CB10
    10-26-20 11:53 AM