02-14-17 01:05 PM
53 123
tools
    Interesting... What makes you like the Q10 over the Classic, aside from the removable battery?
    Posted via CB10
    I love that it is tiny yet very functional, while I do wish it had a toolbelt it can do everything without hesitation. I listen to alot of music and talk shows, if I want to use it for video it works fine, it is so sharp looking and easy to just grab and go anywhere. I do use FM alot and found using a little audio-splitter plug makes a handy out of the way antenna. Its easy to answer the phone and pauses any streaming audio automatically, basically does everything any BlackBerry 10 does, in a compact package. I can be on the phone and still use the internet, can stick it in any pocket, use one-handed, more easily than any other BB design. I waited for a long time to try one, thinking I wouldn't like the smallness!

I use it for pictures and some document scanning, takes nice sharp pictures.

So while the Classic has a toolbelt and I enjoy it too, the size and weight make it a different category for me than the compact Q10. Other than that they are very similar, it seems the Q10 might be just a little bit faster but I'm not sure about that.
    BBHermes and iled like this.
    02-04-17 08:13 PM
    I had Q5, Q10, Classic, Passport and now using a Priv.

Out of the BB10 devices, the Q10 was the best for calls and quick emails. Loved the size and the replaceable battery.

Classic was OK and the Passport as an email machine was fantastic. When using the Passport as a phone for calls, it was a bit awkward and clumsy.

Eventually, I found the lack of apps and pairing with my Pebble was limited by all BB10 devices and had to use the Priv as my daily phone.
    BBHermes likes this.
    02-04-17 08:15 PM
    I switched from a Q10 to a Passport last year. I never used the Classic because I was never one of those users who needed the toolbelt.

Personally, I loved my Q10 until the dreaded double-typing issue struck. I switched to the PP because I wanted the swipe-up word insertion. And the speed. And the expanded card storage.

Frankly, I wish I could get behind Android or iOS - it would make life easier. But there just isn't a better phone operating system IMHO than BB10.

Posted via CB10
    BBHermes and iled like this.
    02-04-17 08:22 PM
    Question: Do any of the Classic or Passport users miss having a removable battery like the Q10? If not, why not?

Thank you to all participants in this thread.

Posted via CB10
    I do miss removable battery on Passport. Not because the battery life is short (it will degrade in 2 years probably). I just like to have 2-3 spares and quickly replace them as I did on Q10. Cheap battery bundle, cheap batteries, - no issue with health degradation or accidental damage due overheat, etc.
    02-04-17 09:00 PM
    I do miss removable battery on Passport. Not because the battery life is short (it will degrade in 2 years probably). I just like to have 2-3 spares and quickly replace them as I did on Q10. Cheap battery bundle, cheap batteries, - no issue with health degradation or accidental damage due overheat, etc.
    Agreed - that was nice too, given how inexpensive they got.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-17 10:24 PM
    So... I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago. I ended up with the Q10 for the following reasons:

1. I missed out on the Passport sale.
    2. I struggled to find a good deal on a new Classic.
    3. I stumbled upon a good deal on a new Q10 (unlocked).

When I was forced to look for something other than a Passport or Classic, I really started to investigate. The Q10 really stood out... and now that I have it... I can say that it is one heck of a device.
    What sale? It's listed for $170-$180 for months now on Ebay. Even Amazon caught up recently.
    02-04-17 11:44 PM
    The Classic for the keyboard and functionality in size. Its the best as a New-Old School BlackBerry. A real successor to the bold line.

The Passport for the screen size and the performance, not that you would need the performance anyway. Nothing to do with it xD. Some say its awkward to handle but that's for you to judge.

Q10's screen is too small nowadays in my opinion. Won't go for it except as a toy.
    BBHermes likes this.
    02-04-17 11:48 PM
    What sale? It's listed for $170-$180 for months now on Ebay. Even Amazon caught up recently.
    You might be right about that, but just to clarify: he's talking about this sale: http://crackberry.com/you-have-48-ho...berry-passport

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    02-04-17 11:51 PM
    You might be right about that, but just to clarify: he's talking about this sale: BlackBerry hosting 48-hour flash sale on the BlackBerry Passport! | CrackBerry.com

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    Ah the good old ShopBlackBerry. The worst place to buy BlackBerries from. Astronomical prices.

The $300 for the Priv on Black Friday was a good deal. Its selling for much higher now for unknown reasons. I always thought supply and demand is weird. I don't think there is even demand, just supply xD.
    02-05-17 12:07 AM
    For the passport, no. I've never once had an issue getting through a full day and I'm an extremely heavy user.
    Me too. Best smartphone battery ever. 2 years in, and I still have no problem in not having a replaceable battery.

The battery on my Q10 'dropped off a cliff' after about 16 months and I had to get a replacement.
    02-05-17 07:58 AM
    I currently have a Passport (original) which is just over two years old, and had a Q10 for the best part of two years before that.

I helped a friend get a Classic, and he was the 'guinea pig' partner in testing it out for his small firm of solicitors. I spent a fair amount of time setting up the Classic and giving support to someone who is 'technically illiterate' (his words).

The Passport is the best of the three smartphones for me - I always wear a jacket (men's jackets always have passport sized pockets) and/or a shirt with a top pocket, so carrying this large smartphone is not an issue for me (female friends have complained that their jackets don't actually have functional pockets and that larger phones such as Passport & iPhone Plus don't fit in their mini-handbags). Using a Passport means that I no longer need to carry a tablet in my briefcase to review spreadsheets and dashboard PDFs (this is very important for me as am disabled and have difficulty carrying). When I purchased my Passport I walked out of the store wondering if I had made a huge mistake, but within hours was completely in love with the larger form factor (including the keyboard which I took a little time to adapt to, but now think is the best ever).

The Q10 was a great phone too, and had a hard act to follow, as it came straight after my trusty 9900 (a very good BBOS phone). The Q10 was especially useful for me in that it was easy to connect to electronic whiteboards and other big screens for giving presentations (without having to give copies of the intellectual collateral to potential clients - the PlayBook was also good for this).

For me, the Classic is not as good as a Q10, and the tool-belt just means that this phone is an easier stepping stone between BBOS and BB10. When I upgraded to the Passport, I offered my Q10 to the solicitor friend (who ended up with a Classic), but he declined as he thought the tool-belt-less Q10 was too 'technical' for him. After he had had the Classic for a month and gotten used to BB10, he said that he would now be fine with a Q10 (or any other B10 tool-belt-less device). I would really only recommend the Classic as a 'training phone' for BBOS users who are unconfident of the move up to BB10.

Hope this helps!
    BBHermes, iled and dmlis like this.
    02-05-17 08:49 AM
    I currently have a Passport (original) which is just over two years old, and had a Q10 for the best part of two years before that.

I helped a friend get a Classic, and he was the 'guinea pig' partner in testing it out for his small firm of solicitors. I spent a fair amount of time setting up the Classic and giving support to someone who is 'technically illiterate' (his words).

The Passport is the best of the three smartphones for me - I always wear a jacket (men's jackets always have passport sized pockets) and/or a shirt with a top pocket, so carrying this large smartphone is not an issue for me (female friends have complained that their jackets don't actually have functional pockets and that larger phones such as Passport & iPhone Plus don't fit in their mini-handbags). Using a Passport means that I no longer need to carry a tablet in my briefcase to review spreadsheets and dashboard PDFs (this is very important for me as am disabled and have difficulty carrying). When I purchased my Passport I walked out of the store wondering if I had made a huge mistake, but within hours was completely in love with the larger form factor (including the keyboard which I took a little time to adapt to, but now think is the best ever).

The Q10 was a great phone too, and had a hard act to follow, as it came straight after my trusty 9900 (a very good BBOS phone). The Q10 was especially useful for me in that it was easy to connect to electronic whiteboards and other big screens for giving presentations (without having to give copies of the intellectual collateral to potential clients - the PlayBook was also good for this).

For me, the Classic is not as good as a Q10, and the tool-belt just means that this phone is an easier stepping stone between BBOS and BB10. When I upgraded to the Passport, I offered my Q10 to the solicitor friend (who ended up with a Classic), but he declined as he thought the tool-belt-less Q10 was too 'technical' for him. After he had had the Classic for a month and gotten used to BB10, he said that he would now be fine with a Q10 (or any other B10 tool-belt-less device). I would really only recommend the Classic as a 'training phone' for BBOS users who are unconfident of the move up to BB10.

Hope this helps!
    A very helpful contribution, thank you!

OTOH the Classic has a larger screen... But it lacks the micro hdmi, which I'm guessing is what you are referring to when you mention connecting to electronic whiteboards...

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-05-17 11:42 AM
    Ah the good old ShopBlackBerry. The worst place to buy BlackBerries from. Astronomical prices.
    xD.
    I haven't found that to be true at all, and I got my Z30, both my Classics, and my Leap directly from BlackBerry.

It always pays to do some price-checking, but buying used or from a less than stellar sellor has its risks.
    02-05-17 12:59 PM
    A very helpful contribution, thank you!

OTOH the Classic has a larger screen... But it lacks the micro hdmi, which I'm guessing is what you are referring to when you mention connecting to electronic whiteboards...

Posted via CB10
    My pleasure - pleased it was helpful.

For both Q10 and PlayBook I could connect with (micro-)HDMI cables - if I remember correctly (I may be wrong here, it's been a few years) I could also connect wirelessly to some electronic whiteboards using the Q10.
    BBHermes likes this.
    02-06-17 03:01 AM
    I have used 9900, q10 and passport. For one handed user pls go to q10. I prefer to passport cause it's screen size and outlooking. Lol

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 03:36 AM
    Question: Do any of the Classic or Passport users miss having a removable battery like the Q10? If not, why not?

Thank you to all participants in this thread.

Posted via CB10
    I was a Q10 user until I get the Passport at lunch here in France, and then it became my daily driver.
    I still use my Q10 daily for my Poker game, one of my email account, for music when sleeping, to easy stream videos via HDMI and few other little things.

And no, I don't miss removable battery in my PP as it have a pretty good battery life! Even after 2,5 years of use! ;p

Posted via CB10
    BBHermes likes this.
    02-06-17 07:34 AM
    The Passport is fun to use for the word search and jigsaw puzzle apps in BlackBerry World (simple pastimes, but you'll look professional.)
    02-06-17 09:53 AM
    I haven't found that to be true at all, and I got my Z30, both my Classics, and my Leap directly from BlackBerry.

It always pays to do some price-checking, but buying used or from a less than stellar sellor has its risks.
    Who said anything about used or less than stellar seller?

Top sellers and even amazon themselves sell the phones new for much lower prices. ShopBlackBerry is plundering people but hey its always like that with the official store of any brand. Samsung still sells the S7 for +$700 on their online store.
    02-11-17 01:05 AM
    I took my old Q10 from a drawer recently - to give it to my wife for a day (her Sony was sent to repair shop).
    And I realised once again:
    1. Great phone. I still like it more than Android and Apple devices used by my family members.
    2. Great phone. But...not for my tired eyes. My vision deteriorated substantially in the last few years while I continue to refuse glasses - baldly (or stupidly as some relatives say). Here comes Passport as my saviour. I still need to do some "eyes gymnastics" when switching between smaller and larger screens, but it's more comfortable with Passport then with Q10. Should I wear glasses, I'd probably keep Q10 as my 2nd phone.
    BigAl_BB9900 and BBHermes like this.
    02-11-17 08:26 AM
    I took my old Q10 from a drawer recently....
    2. Great phone. But...not for my tired eyes. My vision deteriorated substantially in the last few years while I continue to refuse glasses...
    Here comes Passport as my saviour...
    Yep, I love that I don't need my reading glasses to use my Passport!
    02-11-17 09:47 AM
    Saying this as a passport owner (and z30 fan), the q10 is maybe the best all around, well rounded phone I've ever used. There's really no comparison when you start typing on that thing and it still feels natural even months after not using it.

The beauty of the q10 was when I first booted it up, it felt like the most realized and best designed phone ever. I had no desire to even download apps.

I have also used the classic briefly and I have mixed feelings about it

Posted via CB10
    BBHermes likes this.
    02-11-17 04:08 PM
    Who said anything about used or less than stellar seller?

Top sellers and even amazon themselves sell the phones new for much lower prices. ShopBlackBerry is plundering people but hey its always like that with the official store of any brand. Samsung still sells the S7 for +$700 on their online store.
    BlackBerry wasn't overcharging me for their phones. The prices are all over the map at ebay and Amazon, but comparable to BlackBerry, when I bought from BlackBerry it was because of this, or, the item I wanted was only available at a reasonable price from BlackBerry.

If your talking about newly-released phones, sure the prices are higher for a awhile.
    02-13-17 09:56 AM
    I would have to say the classic was the one that felt the best in hand. Battery was great. The keypad was such a big improvement over my q10. I actually have a box of replacements cause that is how horribly reliable they were for a heavy user like myself. The classic was my favorite overall. I love my passport and all of my bb10 devices but the classic is still a classic. And does everything it wasn't meant to do very well
    BBHermes likes this.
    02-13-17 12:13 PM
    I would have to say the classic was the one that felt the best in hand. Battery was great. The keypad was such a big improvement over my q10. I actually have a box of replacements cause that is how horribly reliable they were for a heavy user like myself. The classic was my favorite overall. I love my passport and all of my bb10 devices but the classic is still a classic. And does everything it wasn't meant to do very well
    Absolutely agree.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-17 12:23 PM
    IMO: Passport > Classic > Q10

The Passport is by far my favorite, but I have large hands.

The Classic is a close second, the form factor is what the Q10 should have been. The toolbelt is awesome and the device just feels right.
    Last edited by mrfreeze; 02-13-17 at 06:46 PM.
    BBHermes likes this.
    02-13-17 01:11 PM
53 123