Update: Maybe this might be informative. I messed around some more and got this point. The device shows as "Connected" and it allows me to try to sync.

When I sync, I get the following error: "Sync was unsuccessful... An error has occurred during an attempt to access the device data."

Any ideas? Could this be a hardware issue? Does anyone know what this error could mean?

Thanks.
    01-21-20 11:38 PM
    Today I'm back to the connection issues. This is becoming a major disruption. Now Link displays the following:

My device appears on the left and it says "Connected" in blue. This is good.

But then in the main window of Link it says "Cannot Communicate with Device." Then it says in smaller script "Try reconnecting your device to your computer. If the device doesn't respond, click Reload..."

I've tried other devices, cables, USB hubs. I'm really at a point where I need to set up a new PC which I really don't want to do.

After praising this software, I have to admit that this is the biggest issue with BB10. I wish Chen would have thrown a couple people at this software to iron out the networking issues.
    When ?
    01-22-20 06:18 AM
    When ?
    When what?
    01-22-20 11:58 AM
    I'm trying out Link on my home PC thinking I might switch my work machine with my home machine. For some reason in Windows 8, Link says it is syncing properly but: 1) only three contacts out of 100s get sent to my empty PC Outlook account and 2) no calendar entries get sent to PC Outlook calendar.

Any ideas?
    01-22-20 12:00 PM
    When ?
    When do you wish Chen would have thrown couple of people at BB10 software for networking issues that you’re having?
    01-22-20 12:31 PM
    When do you wish Chen would have thrown couple of people at BB10 software for networking issues that you’re having?
    Not interested in this debate. Sorry.
    01-22-20 08:20 PM
    It’s YOUR vague statement that isn’t clear. I’m merely asking for clarification.
    01-22-20 08:26 PM
    Update: I disabled/re-enabled SMB1 using regedit. I also uninstalled/reinstalled Link. And I restarted the Classic.

This allowed me to sync again. It was a slow, slow sync, but it worked.

Is it generally bad to keep SMB1 enabled on Win 7?
    01-22-20 09:54 PM
    Update: I disabled/re-enabled SMB1 using regedit. I also uninstalled/reinstalled Link. And I restarted the Classic.

Hey Fortress,

SMB1 is fine as long as you're making good reliable backups of your Win7 machine, but given that Win 7 is out of support now (and thus won't get security patches from Microsoft) I'd recommend upgrading to 10 regardless. Link does indeed work on 10 so you should have no trouble.
    01-23-20 08:55 AM

As a follow up to my earlier comment about needing to use regedit rather than the conventional method this can, and it is only a possibility, mean you have a virus on your PC.

Hopefully you have some good antivirus software on your machine which you can use to do a thorough scan.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    01-23-20 10:41 AM
    As a follow up to my earlier comment about needing to use regedit rather than the conventional method this can, and it is only a possibility, mean you have a virus on your PC.

Hopefully you have some good antivirus software on your machine which you can use to do a thorough scan.

Thanks for this. Couldn't it also be a HDD error?

Are the Windows solutions good enough to scan the HDD for a virus in your opinion?
    01-23-20 11:27 AM
    Thanks for this. Couldn't it also be a HDD error?

Are the Windows solutions good enough to scan the HDD for a virus in your opinion?
    It could certainly be an HDD error, either way there is something amiss with your PC which may also be the reason you're having the syncing issues as you should be able to sync with SMB 1 off, generally the only things you can't do with this off is mount the SD and internal memory and copy to and from these.

I would say that the baked in windows solutions were probably not the best to look for a virus, you could try something like Nortons, Mcafee or Kaspersky although there are some viruses which will prevent these being installed.

You can also do a repair of the operating system if you have the installation media, it's pretty automated but best if you google how to do this, it's just a case of booting from the installation media but you need to take care and back up any data you don't want to lose.

01-23-20 11:40 AM
    It could certainly be an HDD error, either way there is something amiss with your PC which may also be the reason you're having the syncing issues as you should be able to sync with SMB 1 off, generally the only things you can't do with this off is mount the SD and internal memory and copy to and from these.

I would say that the baked in windows solutions were probably not the best to look for a virus, you could try something like Nortons, Mcafee or Kaspersky although there are some viruses which will prevent these being installed.

You can also do a repair of the operating system if you have the installation media, it's pretty automated but best if you google how to do this, it's just a case of booting from the installation media but you need to take care and back up any data you don't want to lose.

Today I'm getting the same "Cannot Communicate with Device" error. I might need to try rebuilding my Windows 7 PC. I generally do not like to do this because I worry a lot about losing any data. For example, if I can't load a .PST file later. Maybe this is paranoid. I like to "retire" my PCs and build a new one so no data is messed with.

I don't like Win 10 due to privacy reasons. It reminds me of Google. I don't like having to think about locking things down, etc.
    01-23-20 05:38 PM
    Today I'm getting the same "Cannot Communicate with Device" error. I might need to try rebuilding my Windows 7 PC. I generally do not like to do this because I worry a lot about losing any data. For example, if I can't load a .PST file later. Maybe this is paranoid. I like to "retire" my PCs and build a new one so no data is messed with.

I don't like Win 10 due to privacy reasons. It reminds me of Google. I don't like having to think about locking things down, etc.
    It may be the best solution to back everything up and re-build the windows 7 machine.

I hear you about windows 10, I would say privacy has improved since the early days, but you'll probably be leaving yourself more vulnerable using an unsupported windows 7 machine as each day passes.

Having said the above I'm in the process of building a win 7 machine just to use with Link as it just works better than windows 10 IMHO.

01-23-20 05:46 PM
    It may be the best solution to back everything up and re-build the windows 7 machine.

I hear you about windows 10, I would say privacy has improved since the early days, but you'll probably be leaving yourself more vulnerable using an unsupported windows 7 machine as each day passes.

Having said the above I'm in the process of building a win 7 machine just to use with Link as it just works better than windows 10 IMHO.

Hey, don't forget about Windows Media Center! Haha, now that is a great program. Built into Windows 7.
    01-23-20 06:38 PM

You'll get different opinions on this, and it really depends on your risk appetite. There is no one "correct" answer.

SMB1 is REALLY risky to enable on your router. Whether it's risk on your PC depends on lots of factors. Personally, I would never leave it enabled for a minute longer than necessary.

Here's some info:https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...mbv1-protocol/

The SMB1 protocol is inherently flawed and has caused billions of dollars in losses globally. Unless you are VERY confident In your backup procedures for all the data on your computer (and any other machines on your network) I wouldn't recommend leaving it enabled.

Here's more info about the vulnerability from US-CERT: https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current...Best-Practices
    Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 01-23-20 at 07:20 PM.
    01-23-20 07:06 PM
    Hey, don't forget about Windows Media Center! Haha, now that is a great program. Built into Windows 7.
    And the games! Although I know the games can be made to run on 10!

01-24-20 03:36 AM
    OK, now this is funny and might be some vindication.

My PC would not let me boot in standard mode today. I don't know why. I logged in as administrator.

I remembered that I had some update errors for Adobe that I thought might present a security risk. So I go to Windows Update while in admin profile.

I get one update notification. A single update from... Are you reading this?... Blackberry.net! From March 2016.

This is Windows Update mind you, not Link. This update is not for my device and it's not from my cell company. I don't know why I had to be logged in as administrator before it would populate.

I downloaded and installed the update. Then I restarted the PC and logged in as normal. I opened Link and... Wow. It's syncing like before all the problems started!

So maybe John Chen's Blackberry DID fix this error years ago. Maybe it wasn't rolled out in the latest desktop software because it's an update specific to Win 7 and it's not substantial enough to have justified a new version of Link across all Win versions.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this.
    01-24-20 01:53 PM

OK, now this is funny and might be some vindication.

My PC would not let me boot in standard mode today. I don't know why. I logged in as administrator.

I remembered that I had some update errors for Adobe that I thought might present a security risk. So I go to Windows Update while in admin profile.

I get one update notification. A single update from... Are you reading this?... Blackberry.net! From March 2016.

This is Windows Update mind you, not Link. This update is not for my device and it's not from my cell company. I don't know why I had to be logged in as administrator before it would populate.

I downloaded and installed the update. Then I restarted the PC and logged in as normal. I opened Link and... Wow. It's syncing like before all the problems started!

So maybe John Chen's Blackberry DID fix this error years ago. Maybe it wasn't rolled out in the latest desktop software because it's an update specific to Win 7 and it's not substantial enough to have justified a new version of Link across all Win versions.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this.
    Thought we agreed not to debate whatever you meant by Chen and BB10 support, I’m still confused on what you originally meant or expected but this is just hilariously entertaining.
    01-24-20 02:08 PM
    Before I get too excited, I tried disabling SMBv1 to see if I could still sync. No, I had to disable it. But once I did, I am able to keep syncing.

I'm not sure where this leaves me. I might need to decide whether I need to leave SMBv1 enabled and live with it or whether I'm not willing to accept this security risk. (Presuming it continues to work after the update.)
    01-24-20 03:07 PM
    Before I get too excited, I tried disabling SMBv1 to see if I could still sync. No, I had to disable it. But once I did, I am able to keep syncing.

I'm not sure where this leaves me. I might need to decide whether I need to leave SMBv1 enabled and live with it or whether I'm not willing to accept this security risk. (Presuming it continues to work after the update.)
    How difficult is it to enable/disable SMBv1 on Windows 7? It takes me about 30 seconds on Windows 10 using : Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off Then about 1 minute or less to reboot. It's not difficult or time-consuming.
    01-24-20 03:39 PM
    How difficult is it to enable/disable SMBv1 on Windows 7? It takes me about 30 seconds on Windows 10 using : Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off Then about 1 minute or less to reboot. It's not difficult or time-consuming.
    FortressBB10 has to use Regedit to do it so not as safe as his turn windows features on or off doesn't populate.

01-26-20 06:47 AM

You will not be able to see the internal memory or SD card with SMB 1 off, so you will not be able to copy photos, music etc. to or from the device.

01-26-20 06:49 AM

Question: what are you trying to sync with your PC anyway?
    01-26-20 07:04 AM
    Question: what are you trying to sync with your PC anyway?
    I use Outlook for email and calendaring. This is the software version, not the web version. Is that what you mean?
    02-11-20 08:55 PM
60 123