I have noticed since 1 Jan I am unable to sync calendar/contact updates using BB Link for both 'phones using USB - I have never used WiFi. The message I get is "Failed to initiate Device" on both 'phones. I did a factory reset on the Q10 via the BBL prompt and now it doesn't do anything. It does recognise the Q10 and show the correct ID and sw version, but no access to photos, etc. I reinstalled the Desktop software, omitting BB Blend and have the same results. Any ideas...?
    01-14-20 05:39 PM
    I have noticed since 1 Jan I am unable to sync calendar/contact updates using BB Link for both 'phones using USB - I have never used WiFi. The message I get is "Failed to initiate Device" on both 'phones. I did a factory reset on the Q10 via the BBL prompt and now it doesn't do anything. It does recognise the Q10 and show the correct ID and sw version, but no access to photos, etc. I reinstalled the Desktop software, omitting BB Blend and have the same results. Any ideas...?
    You might need to enable SMBv1, but disable it again once you're done as this is a security risk.
    01-14-20 08:45 PM
    Sorry, forgot to mention I'm still on Win 7 for a little while longer. Has there been a change to that
    01-14-20 09:30 PM
    Sorry, forgot to mention I'm still on Win 7 for a little while longer. Has there been a change to that
    Windows 10 has this disabled by default as it has security flaws.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-20 01:12 PM
    My BB10 phones of all varieties won't connect via USB to my Win 7 PC for the last week or so. I got one to connect for a few moments but the synch took forever and I gave up. I couldn't reconnect afterwards.

I have tried everything I can think of except rebuilding the PC. I tried to follow BB's troubleshooting instructions but couldn't delete all of the registry they want you do. Not sure if that would have mattered anyway.
    01-17-20 11:16 AM
    My BB10 phones of all varieties won't connect via USB to my Win 7 PC for the last week or so. I got one to connect for a few moments but the synch took forever and I gave up. I couldn't reconnect afterwards.

I have tried everything I can think of except rebuilding the PC. I tried to follow BB's troubleshooting instructions but couldn't delete all of the registry they want you do. Not sure if that would have mattered anyway.
    Did you try what was suggested in Post#2 of this thread?
    01-17-20 11:18 AM

Hey Fortress,

Have you enabled SMBv1 as Ben and Brookie suggest? Not only does Link work on Windows 7 it also works properly on Windows 10, so we can definitely get it going. PM me if you like and we can hash it out.
    Last edited by TrumpetTiger; 01-18-20 at 12:22 AM.
    01-17-20 08:53 PM
    Hey Fortress,

Have you disabled SMBv1 as Ben and Brookie suggest? Not only does Link work on Windows 7 it also works properly on Windows 10, so we can definitely get it going. PM me if you like and we can hash it out.
    "Enabled"
    01-18-20 12:20 AM
    "Enabled"
    My apologies conite. I see so many posts talking about BB10 services being disabled or otherwise failing to run that are later proved false that I do indeed confuse the two words occasionally. My post has been updated.
    01-18-20 12:23 AM
    My apologies conite. I see so many posts talking about BB10 services being disabled or otherwise failing to run that are later proved false that I do indeed confuse the two words occasionally. My post has been updated.
    No need to apologize. I just didn't want anyone to get confused. Figured it was a typo.
    01-18-20 12:24 AM
    Hey Fortress,

Have you enabled SMBv1 as Ben and Brookie suggest? Not only does Link work on Windows 7 it also works properly on Windows 10, so we can definitely get it going. PM me if you like and we can hash it out.
    Darn it. I tried this using a command line. I am not even sure if I enabled it or not. I will private message you, Trumpet. Thanks.
    01-20-20 03:07 PM
    Darn it. I tried this using a command line. I am not even sure if I enabled it or not. I will private message you, Trumpet. Thanks.
    Trumpet: did you get my PM? I drafted a long PM to explain but it looks like it didn't send. Maybe I am too new on here and I can't send messages? Maybe you could try to send me one first. Thanks.
    01-20-20 03:16 PM
    Trumpet: did you get my PM? I drafted a long PM to explain but it looks like it didn't send. Maybe I am too new on here and I can't send messages? Maybe you could try to send me one first. Thanks.
    Could be too much text for single PM also
    01-20-20 03:25 PM
    Could be too much text for single PM also
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure I enabled SBMv1 and ran through everything again. I even uninstalled Link. Windows 7 seemed to install new drivers when I plugged in my Classic. It said it was successful. I restarted again. Still no change.

What's interesting is that Link has been crashing at times, but when it does the device shows as connected and not with the blue wifi logo but apparently hard-wired via USB. This also seemed to coincide with my restarting the device. When I would try to click on the Classic, Link would crash.

Oh, I see that when I re-start the Classic, Windows 7 tries to reinstall driver software like it's the first time I have plugged it in. I really don't get this. I wonder if I messed up anything in the registry when I tried to follow RIM's instructions on how to uninstall while troubleshooting.

This time after restart it failed to install drivers... but Link says "Connected" without the blue wifi logo. It's "Connecting to your device" with scroll wheel spinning.

Voila!!! It's connected. Have no idea what change got it connected. Now I will see if I can sync. It's running now.
    01-20-20 04:08 PM
    It cycled through everything and I confirmed some calendar deletions on the device (since I only am syncing 30 days of calendar entries to play it safe).

Now it's "Writing data to the device" and appears frozen at 50%. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When this crisis began, I was able to reconnect temporarily but it froze if I remember correctly. It's slowly advancing now. Just need to wait and hopefully the next sync (if it works) will not take this long.
    01-20-20 04:25 PM
    Holy Bejeesus, I think it worked. My test entry on the PC synced to the device. Link warned me that one contact didn't sync, but everything else did. Thank you for your help but I have no idea what did it. I already have disabled SMBv1 (I think) since I understand it's a real security risk to keep it enabled.

Now I need to install Blend since I only installed Link the last time around.
    01-20-20 04:32 PM
    I already have disabled SMBv1 (I think) since I understand it's a real security risk to keep it enabled.
    Your computer should have asked for it to be rebooted to disable SMB1. If you rebooted then it's done.
    01-20-20 04:35 PM
    Your computer should have asked for it to be rebooted to disable SMB1. If you rebooted then it's done.
    It asked me to reboot it for something, but it was not proximate to my running the command line to disable it. I will see if I can figure out how to check the status using a command line.
    01-20-20 05:34 PM
    Oh, boy. Here we go again. After a restart of the PC, I can't connect via USB. Only wifi works just like before. Link gives me an alert. It says, "Connection Error... There was a problem accessing the drive(s) on this device. Disconnect and reconnect your device, and try again."

Edit: I was using a USB not connect directly into the motherboard. It looks like it is still working via USB. I am getting a "wireless connection error." Not sure what that is about.
    01-20-20 05:46 PM
    Oh, no. Now I'm back to square one. The connection dropped randomly (or maybe at the same time as I plugged in another USB device a USB audio interface). Now it's only connecting via wifi again.

I wonder if there is something going on with my motherboard that is contributing to this. For example, maybe it's not cranking enough power to the USB hubs.
    01-20-20 07:02 PM
    Update: I confirmed (I think) that SMB1 is disabled. I am able to connect at the moment but I receive the following error message:

"Sync was unsuccessful... An error has occurred during an attempt to access the device data."

It might not matter but I made sure that the Classic is not password locked. It's not. Still get this error message when I attempt to link with Outlook. Outlook is open and not password blocked, but the error message is on the device side.
    01-20-20 07:20 PM
    Update: I enabled SMB1 again and restarted. That allowed a successful sync.

Then I disabled SMB1 and restarted. It's still allowing me to sync. I guess this is the goal -- have SMB1 disabled AND still be able to sync.

FYI, I found the SMB1 registry in Regedit to switch it on and off. I like this better than using command lines.

I hope it keeps working and this is helpful to someone. I burned 6-10 hours tinkering before I followed this thread. Thanks to you heroes above for posting about SMB1 (or SMBv1).
    01-20-20 07:36 PM
    Update: I enabled SMB1 again and restarted. That allowed a successful sync.

Then I disabled SMB1 and restarted. It's still allowing me to sync. I guess this is the goal -- have SMB1 disabled AND still be able to sync.

FYI, I found the SMB1 registry in Regedit to switch it on and off. I like this better than using command lines.

I hope it keeps working and this is helpful to someone. I burned 6-10 hours tinkering before I followed this thread. Thanks to you heroes above for posting about SMB1 (or SMBv1).
    Rather than use command line or more risky registry edit just go into the control panel, programs, programs and features then Turn windows features on or off, scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support, put a tick in the box, ok it and re start the machine. Remove the tick to turn it back off.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    brookie229 likes this.
    01-21-20 03:26 PM
    Rather than use command line or more risky registry edit just go into the control panel, programs, programs and features then Turn windows features on or off, scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support, put a tick in the box, ok it and re start the machine. Remove the tick to turn it back off.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    For some reason in my Windows 7 when I go to that, nothing shows up. Programs and Features populates and gives me a blank window.
    01-21-20 11:25 PM
    Today I'm back to the connection issues. This is becoming a major disruption. Now Link displays the following:

My device appears on the left and it says "Connected" in blue. This is good.

But then in the main window of Link it says "Cannot Communicate with Device." Then it says in smaller script "Try reconnecting your device to your computer. If the device doesn't respond, click Reload..."

I've tried other devices, cables, USB hubs. I'm really at a point where I need to set up a new PC which I really don't want to do.

After praising this software, I have to admit that this is the biggest issue with BB10. I wish Chen would have thrown a couple people at this software to iron out the networking issues.
    01-21-20 11:29 PM
60 123