To be honest I would be against that. I had the maximum number of email addresses I could configure on my 9810. I have all the same on my Z10 (except the carrier.blackberry.net addres, and the BES); I get the same or better end-to-end performance on all those addresses as I did with BIS, I'm using less data, getting better battery life and I can use what ever type of account I want.

I have 1 EAS, 1 Yahoo, 1 POP3, and 1 IMAP/IDLE, the rest are all GMail or Google Apps accounts. The only advantage for me going back to BIS mail would be the the POP3 account. The ROC would poll every 15 minutes and then push the mail to me. Polling that often from a phone is a rediculous wast of battery and bandwidth. I'm debating whether I should consine the POP3 account to be polled by the EAS server or the IMAP server.

There are probably a significant number of users that would be better served by a legacy device. For them, legacy devices and BIS service is still available. It would be possible to return to BIS email service but it would be a huge step backwards. If you need any evidence of this you need look no further than there is no third party push email application in BlackBerry World. It would be very simple to set up a push service to deliver mail to a BB10 device. Once Hub integration APIs are made available to developers it could be made to behave like other email accounts. The problem would be monetizing the cost of the push service and email server. How much per month would you pay for such a service?
    I appreciate you saying you would be against the return of the BIS, you make some interesting aguments. You have not convinced me, I am still for the return of it. My plans used to include the BIS and it was less money than my BB10 plan. Regardless I would pay for proper push with the BIS.

Is BB going to bring BIS push to BB10? Does anyone know? It seems silly to move away from that eloquent solution just because everyone else is doing that. The competitors use active sync because they do not have the server assets that BB has. BB should be considering ways to continue leveraging that asset in BB10.
    07-25-13 08:23 PM
    RIP BIS on BB10. Sorry, but don't count on it anymore!
    That not a change that you can have in one day. It would need invest, infrastructural changes, lot of works, hardware... and such
    BIS will little by little die, as one goes along BBOS user will switch to BB10.
    07-26-13 08:03 AM
    OP, for BIS to return, BlackBerry would have to rewrite the whole system from the ground up. That's a flaw of the architecture that has been discussed on podcasts, blogs and forums many times.

The whole thing was built back at the pager years and adapted for newer and newer stuff to a point it could no longer BA adapted, so BlackBerry had to move on from it. The bits they can still use, they are using

As for how fast email arrives... both my POP and Gmail stuff come as fast as they did on my 9780. and as fast as they do on my PlayBook. I can't complain about Active sync really.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 09:32 AM
    That's unfortunate to hear that BIS push is finished. Here is a picture of active sync heartbeat actively killing my phone.
    Push service returning?-img_00000710.png
    07-27-13 10:09 AM
    I prefer not having BIS, except that Yahoo IMAP is no longer push, but that's Yahoo trying to screw non-iOS users. I run Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail and an EAS account. Apart from Yahoo, the rest work better without BIS. I can sync multiple Gmail calendars, including my wife's, through CalDAV. That was not possible under BIS, especially after Google Sync got killed. I ended up having to do weird tricks of multiple Gmail addresses and sharing appointments - a real pain.

EAS didn't work properly under BIS. It was stuck on a 15 minute polling cycle if there was no activity. I ended up just getting that account through IMAP.

As for battery life, the Z is quite subpar compared to my 9810. It seems to have improved a bit after I turned down the sync interval for certain contacts and calendars. However, I put most of the blame on the undersized battery. More than double the processor and RAM, bump up the screen size, but not at least double the battery?! If I wanted the slimmest phone I'd get the iPhone or the Ascend P6. I want to get stuff done and the battery is not helping me.

As for data, that was never a plus for me using BIS because I have 6GB, which is equal to unlimited for me.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-27-13 10:47 AM
    It's not poor battery life you are seeing it is bad energy consumption. A bigger battery is not the answer. It is controlling radio usage for communication tasks which is at issue here. No one can look at that polling and say that active sync is proper push.
    07-27-13 11:34 AM
    BlackBerry had to quit BIS on BB10 to attract the users of other mobile platforms. I think we should be able to use BIS if we want the true push email and data compression, but BlackBerry shouldn't require all users to use BIS. People who want faster internet will choose a normal internet plan instead of a BIS plan. They can also increase the service revenue which has been declining due to the migration from BBOS to BB10.
    Last edited by hillsider; 07-27-13 at 02:29 PM.
    07-27-13 02:11 PM
    BlackBerry had to quit BIS on BB10 to attract the users of other mobile platforms. I think we should be able to use BIS if we want the true push email and data compression, but BlackBerry shouldn't require all users to use BIS. People who want faster internet will choose a normal internet plan instead of a BIS plan. They can also increase the service revenue which has been declining due to the migration from BBOS to BB10.
    Excellent solution. I would pay a little extra, directly to blackberry, to get my BIS functionality back and my free international back.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 10:15 PM
    Sorry, but I am not seeing what is barbaric about EAS and how BES was/is more elegant.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the shift to ActiveSync around here; I would recommend watching this session from BlackBerry Jam, which sheds light on the reasoning behind several of the key decisions.

Posted via CB10
    I have an account using IMAP IDLE and another account using EAS. Both deliver the email to my BlackBerry Z10 instantly (within 5 seconds to it hitting the server inbox).
    07-28-13 08:17 AM
    Excellent solution. I would pay a little extra, directly to blackberry, to get my BIS functionality back and my free international back.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately there is probably enough users thats willing to pay. I switched from gmail to outlook when gmail killed active sync. I have no use with eas and outlook.com. all comes fast and battery life seems fine.
    07-28-13 03:59 PM
    Could I get proper push by personally paying for a BES license? With the current BES fire sale that seems like a great idea for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 03:50 PM
    Yes, and a number of other features like Balance, an encrypted tunnel to your server network, etc. If you have the hardware and skills to run one it isn't a bad way to go.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 04:39 PM
37 12