Interestingly, we are in the US on vacation with our Canadian Telus Z10. We're connected to AT T roaming, and using wifi whereever possible.

We still got the update today!

I highly doubt Telus is beaming this to us through AT T to us inthe US?
    If you were on WiFi then the update OTA is via WiFi. I think the initial screen warns you to consider switching to WiFi before beginning the update process.
    02-28-13 10:33 PM
    try taking out the sim card and updating. some users have said the update shows up. let us know if it works.
    Already tried doing the through link and web, no joy, I even change my region setting to Canada just to try to out smart it

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 10:47 PM
    Updated but phone still shows 2372..anyway the phone feels colder somewhat...

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 11:21 PM
    Hey All,

Just a quick note following up today's OS update for BlackBerry 10, that the updates are definitely pushed out by the carriers.

So if you have a factory unlocked BlackBerry (like the pre-release models or ones that came unlocked at the Launch events, etc.), the updates you receive will be based on your SIM.

So if you're in Canada on Rogers/Telus with a factory unlocked unit, you may have received an update. If you're in the USA, not yet.

Not sure if that's how it will be done long term or just for now, but that's the scoop as I type this at least.

Kevin
    what if you are in the untied kingdom?

Sent from Magic Profile App
    02-28-13 11:45 PM
    This is going to be an issue for me.
    I am on what is pretty much the smallest carrier in the world i think ... it only operates in my city in India. (Loop Mobile)
    They will never ever ever ever update
    I was planning on getting a Z10 but this could really stop me from doing so.
    Why in the world is BB preventing all its users from having access to upgrades?
    It should be the reverse: IF you have carrier locked phone, you should have to get a carrier upgrade. If you dont, you should get it straight from Blackberry
    03-01-13 12:18 AM
    Just to confirm, my Rogers Z10 has had no SIM card in it all week since I'm still testing it out and am not willing to use it on a full-time basis yet. I just popped my SIM card out of my GS3 and put it into my Z10 and the update notification appeared.
    03-01-13 12:53 AM
    Kevin, thanks for the clarification. However, I'm going to throw a spanner in the works... Sorry.
    I bought a factory unlocked STL100-2 from Phones4U, my carrier is a 'community run' one who's parent company are ultimately Telefonica.
    Now, my carrier (GiffGaff) have told me on several occasions that BlackBerry will push out updates for factory unlocked Z10's much like Google do for their Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 phones bought from The PlayStore.

Personally, I think the carrier will push the update because all of the networks owned by Telefonica (who supply on-contract and PAYG Z10's) are carrier partners of BB.

I shall wait patiently.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CJH_; 03-01-13 at 01:55 PM.
    03-01-13 01:43 AM
    This is going to be an issue for me.
    I am on what is pretty much the smallest carrier in the world i think ... it only operates in my city in India. (Loop Mobile)
    They will never ever ever ever update
    I was planning on getting a Z10 but this could really stop me from doing so.
    Why in the world is BB preventing all its users from having access to upgrades?
    It should be the reverse: IF you have carrier locked phone, you should have to get a carrier upgrade. If you dont, you should get it straight from Blackberry
    See my post.

Posted via CB10
    j1m0h likes this.
    03-01-13 01:44 AM
    Welcome to the wild and wacky world of OTA carrier updates.... more "fun" to come.,,, I am sure....
    Google push their updates directly for the Nexus phones, regardless of whether you bought from Google or a carrier.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 01:46 AM
    Nearly forgot, thanks for replying on twitter Kevin.
    Hope I haven't upset anyone with my spanner...

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 01:51 AM
    I wonder what will happen for all people in like wise situations as my own:
    Got my hands on an unlocked BB Z10 and using it with a small sim-only provider that uses a larger provider's network.
    My provider does not do anything with mobile phones, they only supply simcards.

So we need Blackberry to be pushing updates throughout link or just OTA to all devices, just like BB-World content & updates.

Or we need to pray that the (all smaller / local ) netwerkprovider(s) some day, if ever will bring out new updates
    (and looking at BB 6 / 7, some like my previous provider, never pushed ANY update).

Or we are appointed to downloadable leaks on the internet from random providers, but in this case,
    what will happen with the radio-files and service books sort of speak?
    I don't feel like getting an update and afterwards have to try and restore everything before I can do anything.
    03-01-13 02:34 AM
    Blackberry should really do the update push by them self, with our carrier we are doomed man

Posted via CB10
    I think the idea was that BlackBerry can now update the OS independently from the radio software which would allow them to push out updates without carrier testing. But this update does require changes to the radio software (probably as part of the battery improvements) so it does need testing.

Other updates in future which do not require messing with the radio software should be out quickly independent of carriers.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 03:05 AM
    Agree. Imagine what could have happened when BB sending OTA updates independent of carriers, then complications occurred between radio and OS, chaos abound. It's common on Android where people flashing ROMs. Been there done that.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 04:10 AM
    There's no autoloader yet ? (update not showing in FR/ SFR and so far I know neither for Orange)
    03-01-13 04:37 AM
    There's no autoloader yet ? (update not showing in FR/ SFR and so far I know neither for Orange)
    Neither Bouygues
    03-01-13 04:40 AM
    You're right. My phone is Rogers and I unlocked to use it down here in Brazil VIVO. I went to Settings -> Software update and nothing appeared, but when I put back the Rogers Micro SIM, the OTA is there available for download and update even I'm abroad. The fact is this OTA is really SIM based.

I thought it would be useful for anyone.
    tw_ likes this.
    03-01-13 05:46 AM
    I think I mentioned this in another thread. BBRY may still push updates without carrier approval if they are not touching the radio module in the OS. But with the phone JUST being released I'm pretty sure there are going to be all kinds of tweaks to the radio and such. So the first handful of updates will probably depend on the carrier. Afterwards though, I'm sure we will see just normal updates pushed by BBRY.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-01-13 07:44 AM
    Afterwards though, I'm sure we will see just normal updates pushed by BBRY.
    Hopeful thinking, I hope so also, however that is not what RIM personnel are telling folks. Carrier-pushed updates only.
    03-01-13 07:49 AM
    +1 on the question regarding autoloader ... that's what I am looking for!
    03-01-13 08:20 AM
    I just got the information coming from the French marketing manager that this update will be pushed in .... 3 monthes in France :s !!!!!!
    j1m0h likes this.
    03-01-13 08:24 AM
    Perfect, I'm looking for a Rogers SIM card to get update faster...
    I can exchange it for a Swiss or French or Luxembourgish or German SIM card...

Interested? ;-)
    WTF.
    03-01-13 10:42 AM
    Kevin, thanks for the clarification. However, I'm going to throw a spanner on the works... Sorry.
    I bought a factory unlocked STL100-2 from Phones4U, my carrier is a 'community run' one who's parent company are ultimately Telefonica.
    Now, my carrier (GiffGaff) have told me on several occasions that BlackBerry will push out updates for factory unlocked Z10's much like Google do for their Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 phones bought from The PlayStore.

Personality, I think the carrier will push the update because all of the networks owned by Telefonica (who supply on-contract and PAYG Z10's) are carrier partners of BB.

I shall wait patiently.

Posted via CB10
    I have already a factory unlocked device but still haven't received any updates. You sure BlackBerry will be sending those updates to those who are unlocked?
    03-01-13 11:02 AM
    I do not believe updates are tied directly to the sim card. I have a device with 10.0.9.2372 with no sim card that is unlocked and when I plug it to link I can get the 10.0.10.261 OS. I am updating it right now through link with no sim.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 01:07 PM
    Updated but phone still shows 2372..anyway the phone feels colder somewhat...

Posted via CB10
    Oh you must have received a weather update from Canada instead of a BBOS10 update.
    03-01-13 01:09 PM
    I have already a factory unlocked device but still haven't received any updates. You sure BlackBerry will be sending those updates to those who are unlocked?
    This update is tied to your microSIM card.
    03-01-13 01:15 PM
117 1234 ...