My sensor stopped after the update and i was managing it but not its getting on my nerve. Using a Q10 and when ever i call someone, due to screen not shutting due to sensor, either i press end call, mute or speaker. On bbm calls often it presses mute.
    No one at blackberry knows why this is happening.
    How can an OS update screw up a mobile sensor. Will wait for bb passport. If it has issues, most probably i will end my loyalty with bb. Enough is enough with such issues.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 02:22 PM
    There is a thread on this already. I think it's just coincidence because if you replace the sensor it'll work fine again.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 02:26 PM
    Coincidence? it happened when 10.2.1.2947 update came. Was okay when i had 10.2.1. Funny fact, its happening to alot when updating. And above all no warranty so getting it changed will cost me.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 02:49 PM
    The same thing happened to me but on the previous OS update.

I spent a while online with @BlackberryHelp but all they came up with ultimately was send phone in for repair

I suggested they check the Crackberry forums as there is indeed a bunch of people reporting this, but it seems that they never did.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 05:02 PM
    The same thing happened to me but on the previous OS update.

I spent a while online with @BlackberryHelp but all they came up with ultimately was send phone in for repair

I suggested they check the Crackberry forums as there is indeed a bunch of people reporting this, but it seems that they never did.

Posted via CB10
    Is it fixed or the same?
    And yes in end, as i said, bb people cant help. Sad to see such things. Bought a Q10 selling my excellent Z10 not for such issues.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 05:39 PM
    Hi

I haven't sent it in for repair. I'm going to wait to see whether 10.3 resolves it. Given the number of people experiencing problems right after an OS update, seems it could well be software related.

Or I might move to a Z30....

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 02:02 AM
    I had set up the Android proximity detector test program when I was having trouble with mine. That program showed it worked fine, but when doing diagnostics with BlackBerry, they insisted the phone was defective.

I begrudgingly got a "new" phone and haven't had a problem since. With any of these replacement phones from any manufacturer, even Apple, the new phone is always considered a refurb. It might be new, and it might not be new.

I take that back. There was a recent Apple screw up that was so bad, everyone in a certain batch of serial numbers got new phones. But that is rare.

I was never convinced it was the sensor, but who knows.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 02:32 AM
    I had this as well, and tried to load different versions of BlackBerry 10 on it to see if it was a software issue. After loading about 4 different versions and still no working sensor, I just brought it in for a repair.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 02:42 AM
    I had this as well, and tried to load different versions of BlackBerry 10 on it to see if it was a software issue. After loading about 4 different versions and still no working sensor, I just brought it in for a repair.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, loading the OS is what BlackBerry makes you do before they will consider the phone irreparable. I had to do that before getting the phone swapped.

But it worked just fine on the Android app, so really don't understand what was wrong with the hardware, unless there was incorrect firmware in proximity sensor. That is, it would work with the Android app, but BlackBerry bb10 needed something different.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 05:03 AM
    See my hardware is okay. Its says cant obtain sensor data. Does not say hardware missing.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 10:09 AM
    See my hardware is okay. Its says cant obtain sensor data. Does not say hardware missing.

Posted via CB10
    4 different versions of the OS have nog worked. Are you saying that it didn't work with the four preceding versions of bb10? That seems a bit harsh.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 11:42 AM
    It was working perfectly until i updated it to .2947. Right now its 2977 and didnt help.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 12:37 PM
    It was working perfectly until i updated it to .2947. Right now its 2977 and didnt help.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe downgrade?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 03:13 PM
    Did. Didnt help. Downgraded, wiped. Nothing was of any help. Maybe the OS update fried the sensor.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 03:39 PM
    Mine stopped after upgrade too

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 09:34 AM
    Did you try to turn off ur cellphone without charging it, And leave it for one night?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 11:04 AM
    Nope. Will do that if it helps.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 03:06 PM
    Have you tried running sensor tests on BBVE?

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    07-06-14 03:10 PM
    Have you tried running sensor tests on BBVE?

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    Yup. Says 'cannot obtain sensor data'

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 04:51 PM
    It is really funny how many people have had issues with the proximity sensor. BlackBerry doesn't even make it.

These sensors have been around for years. You would think by the time BlackBerry got around to touch screen phones, the sensor would be old news.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 07:05 PM
    Happening for the second time! And each time happened after I installed an update OTA.
    Can't believe I have to send my z10 to get repaired again :'(

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 07:17 PM
    I did my update over Wifi, but it seems to me you should always do updates via bblink. At the very least, if BlackBerry asks you to wipe and reinstall the operating system, you have the file on your PC.

Here again, we have a problem that shouldn't exist, and it is not unique to BlackBerry. Updates on linux are old hat. You have a hash code to insure integrity of what you download and a crypto key to assure it is authentic. I don't know about windows phone, but Apple IOS and Android have update problems. (I have had windows PCs get so tangled in knots regarding updates that I had to reload the OS.)

Bblink is a step down from the old desktop software, but I have begrudgingly learned to live with it.

I forget if it was mentioned in this thread, but you can see the proximity detector in a very dark room. If you have another phone or basically anything with a CCD camera, you can watch the proximity detector flash. It is on all the time, not just when you are making phone calls, unless the OS upgrades changed that.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 07:41 PM
    Oh well, my sensor doesn't work anymore.
    :/

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 09:40 AM
    Oh well, my sensor doesn't work anymore.
    :/

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry needs to give us answers!!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 10:47 AM
    Enough people have had issues with the proximity detector that they should fess up to the problem.

I still don't believe the upgrades permanently break the sensor. Rather I suspect like many peripherals, they have no on-board memory. On your desktop PC, the drivers upload to the peripherals settings every time you boot. I suspect the firmware isn't being uploaded to the detector.

As a side note, the "rats" that turn on webcam of unsuspecting victims do a hack that changes the firmware uploaded to the webcam. That is, their firmware turns on the webcam but doesn't turn on the warning light.

When I was using the Android proximity test on my z10, I wonder if it uses a different driver.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 02:44 PM
37 12