12-03-17 10:55 AM
65 123
tools
    Virtually all of what your first link alludes to can be done with 2 bb10 devices.
    Could you expand a little bit and explain in more detail how could this be possible?
    Thanks
    10-05-17 07:12 AM
    Could you expand a little bit and explain in more detail how could this be possible?
    Thanks
    Yea I would be happy to. I'll leave a link later to something more thorough, your web browser can intrepret html 5 so thats hyper text markup language (same as email) Cascading Style Sheets,(Motion and color) and Javascript for dynamic content. Not something I would expect everyone to be familiar with right off the bat but its pretty straight forward. You can start in the url of your browser but it's easier with some zipped templates. Word substitution is great for this also. Say you type "!html " into anything that is formatted for plain text, (hub with plain text formatting, tasks in remember, evernote folder in remember, documents to go..) It can spit out a full page or single opening and closing tags to specific functions you need with JS. For getting online I would recommend Zoho and Box. Browsers URL doesnt let you use the word substitution feature, but you can save a bookmark.

The BG Shell plus app can change directory to Box and OneDrive so thats pretty useful. Smart tags has lots of ways to speed things up aswell.
    Posted via CB10
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    10-05-17 08:29 PM
    Yea I would be happy to. I'll leave a link later to something more thorough, your web browser can intrepret html 5 so thats hyper text markup language (same as email) Cascading Style Sheets,(Motion and color) and Javascript for dynamic content. Not something I would expect everyone to be familiar with right off the bat but its pretty straight forward. You can start in the url of your browser but it's easier with some zipped templates. Word substitution is great for this also. Say you type "!html " into anything that is formatted for plain text, (hub with plain text formatting, tasks in remember, evernote folder in remember, documents to go..) It can spit out a full page or single opening and closing tags to specific functions you need with JS. For getting online I would recommend Zoho and Box. Browsers URL doesnt let you use the word substitution feature, but you can save a bookmark.

The BG Shell plus app can change directory to Box and OneDrive so thats pretty useful. Smart tags has lots of ways to speed things up aswell.
    With a second device and the proper cable you can set dev mode on one and use the webkit.
    Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    10-05-17 08:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    The next thing I was looking into was the email address of your sim card. ex 5555550123@msg.phonecompany.net
    If this is physical access to where the plain text mms goes it could be very useful.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-17 08:50 PM
    Thanks
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s470/...03bc7fa419be6c

Posted via CB10
    10-06-17 03:44 AM
    Very interesting! Thank you for taking the time to explain that.
    10-06-17 07:31 AM
    One senior developer from blackberry = $100k which would manage two outsourced programmers = 2 x $45k

Or if that doesn't work, just two BB developers = $200k
    Do you have a background in software development?
    I think the complexity of what you're proposing is too much for 3 developers - even if you could attract back people with BB10 experience.

This is NOT something where you can hire 2 guys from Russia and expect them to pick it up in a few months. I've worked in software support for 36 years and I wouldn't touch something like that with a 10 foot pole.
    10-06-17 05:02 PM
    Actually software maintenance and incremental change, additional feature stuffing etc is the specialty of the "C" level developer. They tend not to wander too often (reducing costly churn), and are perfectly happy on maintenance projects...and they usually cost less, not more (definitely in salary). They aren't rewriting the system. A-level talent would actually likely be more expensive because retraining when they fly the coup to find their next dream-job is pricey. You don't need the engineer when you are fixing the plumbing in the house....and older workers with established families and residences in a place like waterloo, are the ideal type of c-level talent and possibly new graduates of modest talent as well.
    Wow. Just freaking wow.

Ok, I'm a "C" level developer - in 36 years of full-time programming and system design I've only ever developed ONE system from scratch - the rest of my time has been in maintenance, mostly on payrolls, HR systems and timekeeping system.

The numbers and effort that people are fantasizing about are precisely that - FANTASY.

The costs - $100k for project lead and $45k each for out-sourced programmers is nonesense. Even if those could be accurate - and lets assume Canadian funds.

This means that the crowd-funding has to raise $200k / year on an on-going basis - this is a MULTI-YEAR project.
    Plus which, as others have pointed out, you need PERMISSION from BB to work on BB10 in the first place.

Then, when you DO get an update ready, there are almost certainly costs associated with certifying the new update. (I'm guessing here).

Additionally, these "C" level people that you're going to employ - you have to RECRUIT people who are WILLING TO WORK ON AN OUT-DATED PLATFORM! My employer actually spent a LOT of money to move away from a couple of in-house developed systems that had only ONE analyst left (me).
    You mention recruiting them from Waterloo - ok, why don't you pitch this to me - you're going to ask me to leave a job where I'm earning 80+k a year, with 5 weeks of paid vacation and a pension and great benefits - to work on a DEAD system that's being funded by CROWDSOURCING? Do I really look that stupid?

Sorry, dude, I just don't see it working. Not at all.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-06-17 05:17 PM
    You have plenty of examples of open source software without this huge costs. Sometimes people does what they like for a symbolic price and recognition. Community and collaboration is the key

Posted via CB10
    10-13-17 11:38 AM
    You have plenty of examples of open source software without this huge costs. Sometimes people does what they like for a symbolic price and recognition. Community and collaboration is the key

Posted via CB10
    When do you expect to get started and when is your first target completion date for your new company/project Mr./Ms. CEO/President/General Project Manager?

Let's get this going for phase 1 of your crowdsourcing?
    10-13-17 11:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    What examples of open source software are you talking about? Every significant project of this size has paid developers working on it, even if it is open source.
    10-13-17 12:11 PM
    When do you expect to get started and when is your first target completion date for your new company/project Mr./Ms. CEO/President/General Project Manager?

Let's get this going for phase 1 of your crowdsourcing?
    It always comes back to charity work, doesn't it?
    10-13-17 03:16 PM
    BTW I don't see this so huge size project, in linux you can see many projects, which are bigger and are not paid by companies, some are open to donations and other even not.
    It is not about redoing th wheel, and create st from the scratch but just reuse code with open licenses, integrate etc. I am sure that donations will be received.

For a real and near example, fortunatly we have Cobalt's works and researching, I am sure that he spent many hours to do what he do.
    AFAIK Cobalt has not a big company supporting his work for BB10. So how is possible that during last years he did much more work for BB10 that the whole Blackberry company

Posted via CB10
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    12-03-17 05:52 AM
    BTW I don't see this so huge size project, in linux you can see many projects, which are bigger and are not paid by companies, some are open to donations and other even not.
    It is not about redoing th wheel, and create st from the scratch but just reuse code with open licenses, integrate etc. I am sure that donations will be received.

For a real and near example, fortunatly we have Cobalt's works and researching, I am sure that he spent many hours to do what he do.
    AFAIK Cobalt has not a big company supporting his work for BB10. So how is possible that during last years he did much more work for BB10 that the whole Blackberry company

Posted via CB10
    You know that Cobalt could get shut down at any given time for reverse engineering other people's software, right? Not that I want that to happen (it's nice that people have options), but there's a difference between a personal project and a large corporation doing such things. Android might be open source, but the Play Store is NOT. Blackberry would have gotten sued out of their pants if they had done half of what he's done.
    12-03-17 08:07 AM
    No BB 10 browser is fully outdated today it is not: capable to sun many websites.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-17 10:55 AM
65 123