I'm really pissed seriously i usually have a custom profile for when my boss wants me to come in an work overtime. Her text come in super loud and so do her phone calls. This is something i really need smh RIM yes i said it new company same bs!
    I just had a few brief moments with a Z10 and if you go into a contact's profile you can set individual notification settings. I wish I could share a screenshot and more details but I had read this thread last night and asked a colleauge about it this morning and they showed me the contact-specific notifications. Perhaps someone with a Z10 can fill in more details but I thought this looked promising for at least some of the gaps users have identified on this thread.

EDIT - I've since had a chance to test and at this point it doesn't look like a contact's notification settings over-ride the overall phone notification mode (silent, etc) . I'll post more info if I find anything else out. Sorry for any confusion.
    Last edited by tpmbb10; 02-01-13 at 12:08 PM.
    02-01-13 11:07 AM
    Just did a survey in Beta Zone regarding quick settings. It also had a lot of questions about Notifications, Profiles etc. Just FYI
    parabola likes this.
    02-01-13 01:55 PM
    Hang on, let me make sure I understand.

With the 'new' profiles are you, You and YOU saying I can't set a particular ringtone for when my wife calls or text me? (I've not re-read the entire thread).

If yes, then yes, I'd be disappointed, too.
    02-01-13 04:12 PM
    I was just poking around the BlackBerry website regardingthe Z10 and i found this bit about notifactions.
    Change your ring tone, sounds, or alerts - How To - BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - 10.0.0
    could someone try this out so i know exactually what this means? mainly the 2nd part where it says to change the notifaction on a perticular app.
    and yes you can still give people their own ring tones:
    Set a custom ring tone for a contact - How To - BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - 10.0.0
    anon(153966) likes this.
    02-01-13 04:18 PM
    The issue regarding not being able to set volume levels for each individual notification is a feature that will be missed, but not HUGELY devastating to me... One should be able to set the volume of the sound files in processing, save them to mp3 and then upload them to the phone.. so while cumbersome, it's something that need only be done once for most of us, and will do the job.

However... the issue of not being able to switch to "phone calls only" while in bedside mode is HUGE for me.. For years now I've sat my BB next to my bed in it's charging cradle and used it as my alarm. I certainly do not want to be woken up by spam emails at 12:01am but I do need the phone to ring if someone turns up in the hospital..

Hopefully this is fixed in days.. not weeks and certainly not months. Can anyone confirm Blackberry has been directly informed of the oversight and quote a response? Love them as I do, one complaint is the lack direct communication with he company.. Ie, end users can't email them, can't call them etc.
    parabola, Barljo and mount.zed like this.
    02-01-13 06:45 PM
    The lights and the profiles was what kept me coming back to BB. This and the hopelessly complicated message navigation reported by Kevin's review means that I'm staying away.

My S3 can do all of this now. There are predictions in the tech world that BlackBerry is finished. I have to say I agree. I fear in 18 months they'll be gone - bought by someone who'll continue to develop the software platform for enterprise use with iOS and Android and perhaps Windows Phone.

Pity.
    02-02-13 05:28 AM
    Hopefully this is fixed in days.. not weeks and certainly not months. Can anyone confirm Blackberry has been directly informed of the oversight and quote a response? Love them as I do, one complaint is the lack direct communication with he company.. Ie, end users can't email them, can't call them etc.
    I'm pretty sure that in CBK's review he said they have informed RIM and will be fixed in a maintance update soon...I could be wrong ill go through the article again and find it to confirm.

**UPDATE**
    Yes CBK does say in his Z10 review that they have talked to BBRY about the bedside mode issue andthey will be adding more settings in future maintenance updates
    Last edited by JAGWIRE; 02-02-13 at 07:34 AM.
    just_luc and study_lady like this.
    02-02-13 07:17 AM
    People just want something to complain about. This phone does everything the iphone does and more while still retaining all the still that makes one like a blackberry over an iphone. It's the total package as it seems. This is the first model, first time with OS and first software release. The iphone couldn't even send picture messages, had no apps and couldn't copy and paste when it first came out. Jesus. The phone looks amazing and i'm excited to give it a try. I'm sure there is lots of things to tweak and improve in coming updates and I think I'll be happy as *I* don't except it to cure cancer.
    02-02-13 07:18 AM
    People just want something to complain about. This phone does everything the iphone does and more while still retaining all the still that makes one like a blackberry over an iphone. It's the total package as it seems. This is the first model, first time with OS and first software release. The iphone couldn't even send picture messages, had no apps and couldn't copy and paste when it first came out. Jesus. The phone looks amazing and i'm excited to give it a try. I'm sure there is lots of things to tweak and improve in coming updates and I think I'll be happy as *I* don't except it to cure cancer.
    Shane, no one is saying the phone isn't great.. I'm first in line to buy one Tuesday morning. But your line "while still retaining all the still that makes one like a blackberry over an iphone." is what we're talking about.. because actually, in this case it doesn't.. the ability to set custom sound profiles, and the ability to automatically have the phone going into bedside mode with phone calls only are thing we have used on or old Blackberry's for years, and for many of us.. are a big part of the reason we chose a blackberry over other phone.. as of Tuesday those features will be gone. It's not about curing cancer.. it's about not loosing things we use every day and have used for years. I'm right up there as a fan boy.. I want one, I'm getting one.. but this does have to be addressed as an issue.
    02-02-13 07:34 AM
    Yes there people who are complaining just to complain but this bedside mode issue is a big one as it is a step backwards from previous OS'. The reason for bedside more is so that your phone doesn't wake you up unless it's an emergency. This is not a big changer for me, still getting mine next week, but it will be missed.
    just_luc likes this.
    02-02-13 07:37 AM
    I am a blackberry fan. I really have stayed due to the notifications and Bebuzz. I am sure there are more of us out there. I hope Blackberry does address this and soon. I am very busy person I have to be able to customize my notifications to the appropriate setting which includes unique settings for the type of notification. THIS IS A Gotta Have! Please Blackberry put this in. It is for the serious communicatiors. This is what you are marking to, your niche!!!
    02-02-13 10:40 AM
    This is like the PlayBook launch all over again.

Features BB users took for granted were either crippled or missing completely.

I really like having different sound profiles based on the message type - I know when I have an SMS message by the sound. I know when I have a BBM message by the sound. Emails? Too many of those so I don't bother with sounds or the notification LED. For me, the LED is reserved for a real-time conversation like SMS or BBM. It's an alert letting me know someone is talking. Emails can wait until I check the device. It's all about personalization.

Bedside mode is another let down. I don't want to hear emails and IM's coming in at 2AM, but if someone is calling me at 2AM it's probably important enough to wake me up.

RIM (Sorry, BlackBerry) has looked at iOS and Android and thought "How can we capture that audience? ... ... ... I know, we'll dumb it down to the same level! Brilliant!"

I bet the more you look throughout the OS the more you'll find that the classic "BlackBerry" features have been removed. Woo and wow the public with the new camera app all you want, but I'll hold onto my Torch 9800.
    I hate to break it to you, but even iOS has a more robust "bedside mode" than the new BB10. You can receive calls from your favorites or not at all. FYI, I do have a Z10 on order. I have to say I'm having a lot of second thoughts. I never thought some of the most basic features of iOS aren't even on the new BB10.
    02-02-13 11:03 AM
    Apparently, BeBuzz is coming soon to BB10 so we can change LED colors and whatever else the app can do. All I want to know is if I can download new text/ring/e-mail tones. I just downloaded OS5 sounds from BlackBerry World on my 9900 because I was sick of some of the lame-ish OS7 sounds. I really hope it isn't like the first few generations of iPhones with ring tones!
    JAGWIRE and study_lady like this.
    02-02-13 11:20 AM
    did you hear from the developer that BeBuzz in coming?
    ive been talking to the DEV for advance OS and LED and as it stands he is not making it for OS10
    02-02-13 12:04 PM
    Did I miss it? I was under the impression there will be no BeBuzz for 10
    02-02-13 12:56 PM
    No OS and LED. Strange as it sound that could be a deal breaker given the other limitations.
    02-02-13 07:24 PM
    for those that dis approve of that single red LED here is your fix

BlackBerry World - Color ID

hope the link works
    02-02-13 10:43 PM
    for those that dis approve of that single red LED here is your fix

BlackBerry World - Color ID

hope the link works
    For BB10?

I don't think so.
    02-03-13 12:10 AM
    if you look under devices it saids BB10 or did you even look.?
    02-03-13 12:47 AM
    if you look under devices it saids BB10 or did you even look.?
    Yup, but I'm 99% certain that isn't for BB10 devices.
    It's some sort of error in listing compatibility.
    The screenshots all look legacy.
    No free trial mode.
    I'm not dropping 2 quid to be a guinea pig.
    02-03-13 02:09 AM
    Yet they chose to eliminate these options on their newest OS. WHY?
    My guess it was one or more of the following:

• Simplicity - figured the complex settings would intimidate new BB users.
    • Time - needed to finalize the BB10 API so app developers could start releasing apps.
    • Time - just needed to ship it and move on to other critical components.

Notifications are really a key differentiator for Blackberry though - one of the most unique and valuable features that goes right to the heart of "Keep Moving", and "people who get things done".

The only thing that worries me about updating that down the road is that it would seem to require a change in the app API, because those functions need to be accessible to any app that uses notifications. That might complicate making any changes right away.

FWIW: I really really need custom profiles. I need to be able to switch a group of settings together. IE when I'm in bedside mode, I need to mute things like email and IM alerts, but keep phone ringers and SMS alerts either at the same level or louder than during the day because I support I.T. operations that run 24/7. I often can't use "all or nothing" profiles like "all notifications off" or "vibrate only" because those are often too simplistic for what I need to accomplish.
    sclift likes this.
    02-03-13 02:29 AM
    Oh well. You lose some and you don't.
    02-03-13 02:43 AM
    this to me is just totally unacceptable . I just cant believe they seemed to miss the basic things that we love about BB and keeping it simple. I think this Z10 is to complicated even after almost a week I still want to put my sim card back into my bold and am tired of fighting the disappointed feeling I have with this new phone.. I did something I thought I would never do last night I stuck my sim into a iphone 4 I grabbed from work to try and was totally amazed how simple and quick set up was... In contrast my supposed simple transfer from Bold to Z10 took hours to do as I had to do transfer on desktop twice and am still missing stuff(contacts) how is that possible. I am beyond frustrated and if it wasn't for the fact that iphone doesn't have the hdmi hookup I want for at the lake where I will use the BB to watch tv on, I think I would jump to iphone 5 TODAY also ring tones and alerts on iphone are much more customizable than the Z10. IT IS NUTS how bad the new z10 ring tones and alerts are. PLEASE help I am so close to going apple it makes me nervous
    02-12-13 09:44 AM
    Trying to find how to keep my wifes profile to always on even when I have my phone on silent. Can't seem to find this feature. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance
    03-24-13 07:40 PM
    I too miss the sound profiles, quite a lot actually.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 10:31 PM
137 ... 3456