OK my Passport OS has been on the fritz lately and has been getting worse and worse. I am now trying to reload the OS.

Looking for direction as it has been a while since I have done this. This can be a tutorial for anyone in the future needing to know, as I couldn't find a tutorial in the forums.

First step:
    - Delete apps that you never use (some say to restart device after deleting)
    - Backup Android APK files on SD card or computer
    - Remove SD card
    - BlackBerry Link full backup OR Ultimate Backup is suggested
    - From BlackBerry Link under Back Up & Restore click "Factory Reset" OR use an autoloader (as suggested instead of Factory Reset)
    - Waiting for device wipe to finish. It has taken 8hrs so far (sitting at 94%). The last 10% has taken about 30min for each 1%, the last bit of the wipe takes forever! Edit: It has now been another 8hrs and it has moved from 94% - 97%. Here is a VERY helpful forum for if your device gets SLOWWW during the wipe
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...sport-1032289/

Next Steps:
    - Connect to Wifi
    - Update OS to most up to date version
    - Login to BlackBerry ID
    - Open BlackBerry World and reinstall critical apps (BBM,WhatsApp, TinyCam, Banking apps, etc)
    - Reinstall APK files you backed up and open / login
    - Reinstall social media apps? and login? (Not sure if this is needed)

Final Steps:
    - Restore full backup OR restore Ultimate Backup (assuming you will need all the original apps installed prior to Ultimate Backup)
    - Insert SD card if you haven't yet

Questions:
    - What data will be lost?? BBM, Text, WhatsApp, Android settings, etc???? With the full BlackBerry Link restore I was able to get everything back including my BBM chats!
    - My contacts literally took an hour to refresh back into my phone (I have 1600 contacts). I was really worried as it said I only had 124 contacts, then a minute later 252 contacts. Slowly they all showed up and populated in the phone

Thanks in advance. I'll update this original post when I get replies.
    Last edited by brian4591; 10-03-16 at 07:09 PM.
    10-03-16 12:06 AM
    The first thing I'd do after a Security Wipe is to log in to my BlackBerry ID. After that, go to BlackBerry World and Amazon Appstore to reinstall apps. About "Update OS to most up-to-date version", well, we all know that the "up-to-date" version is nothing but a promise as of now, so you may set that aside. For "Insert SD card", you didn't have to remove your SD card in the first place. It won't be affected by Security Wipe. I've done hundreds of Sec Wipes in the past and it didn't affected my SD card whatsoever.
    brian4591 likes this.
    10-03-16 12:38 AM
    Thanks ronfc

At what point do you do the "Restore full backup"? Before BlackBerry ID, BBM, app install, etc? I thought this made a difference....?
    The remove and insert SD card was because I thought the "Full backup" does the SD card as well so this would speed up this process. Maybe I'm wrong.

Oh ya, the update to current OS is not about future OS's. I recall that the wipe will sometimes wipe down to a lower OS and then you will have to install the current OS right away.
    Last edited by brian4591; 10-03-16 at 10:21 AM.
    10-03-16 12:43 AM
    Anyone have any input into the best procedure / steps to take to get everything back to normal??? It's the restoring steps that I can't remember best procedure and I have had issues in the past with stuff not restoring properly (ex. BBM, app data, etc)
    10-03-16 12:07 PM
    1. Backup your data using Ultimate Backup, not Link. Also save a copy of exported Password Keeper and copies of all your APKs. I prefer to save these on a USB drive. You don't need to back up media files or any files on the SD card.
    2. Download to your PC an autoloader for the OS version of your choice making sure that the autoloader is for your phone.
    3. Plug phone to your PC and run the autoloader. Wait for the phone to reboot completely. Be patient. Even the boot shows 100% and it may seem stuck. You need to wait until the boot screen is gone.
    4. Follow the new phone setup procedures and lock in with your BBID.
    5. Reinstall from BlackBerry World your BB10 apps including Ultimate Backup. Use Ultimate Backup to restore your data previously saved.
    6. Setup all your emails and social media accounts.
    7. Import the saved Password Keeper file to Password Keeper.
    8. Reinstall Android apps from the saved APKs.
    9. Reset system settings and app settings.

Note: Backup and restore from Link will only bring back the issue you had in the first place. It may cause other issues if you didn't uncheck BlackBerry Runtime in the backup.
    Don't trust Link to be able to restore your Password Keeper data.
    BBM messages cannot be backed up and restored.
    If you are not selling your phone, there is no need to security wipe your phone. Autoloader will reset the entire internal storage. There only difference is that security wipe cleans the internal storage so that it is no longer electronically traceable.
    brian4591 likes this.
    10-03-16 01:10 PM
    1. Backup your data using Ultimate Backup, not Link. Also save a copy of exported Password Keeper and copies of all your APKs. I prefer to save these on a USB drive. You don't need to back up media files or any files on the SD card.
    2. Download to your PC an autoloader of your choice making sure that the autoloader is for your phone.
    3. Plug phone to your PC and run the autoloader. Wait for the phone to reboot completely. Be patient. Even the boot shows 100% and it may seem stuck. You need to wait until the boot screen is gone.
    4. Follow the new phone setup procedures and lock in with your BBID.
    5. Reinstall from BlackBerry World your BB10 apps including Ultimate Backup. Use Ultimate Backup to restore your data previously saved.
    6. Setup all your emails and social media accounts.
    7. Import the saved Password Keeper file to Password Keeper.
    8. Reinstall Android apps from the saved APKs.
    9. Reset system settings and app settings.

Note: Backup and restore from Link will only bring back the issue you had in the first place. It may cause other issues if you didn't uncheck BlackBerry Runtime in the backup.
    Don't trust Link to be able to restore your Password Keeper data.
    BBM messages cannot be backed up and restored.
    If you are not selling your phone, there is no need to security wipe your phone. Autoloader will reset the entire internal storage. There only difference is that security wipe cleans the internal storage so that it is no longer electronically traceable.
    Wow looks like I did this all wrong, lol. Why is there not a tutorial in these forum of what you just posted?

Stupid thing is, Ultimate backup is one of the apps I deleted just before the BlackBerry Link backup. As it was an app that I really hadn't used. Maybe I can still find my Ultimate backup...

Why can't BBM be backed up and restore? This is one of my biggest issues and I guess I am screwed now. I have all my work conversations with my workers and wife on BBM. I there no history or backup anywhere?

Thanks again for the post, I'll try to adjust my OP with your comments.
    10-03-16 01:19 PM