These problems are driving me insane and I'm tired of fixing these every single day since I got my Z10. For the record, I'm happy with the device despite the various missing features and apps which are sure to come. I can live with these (temporary) shortcommings. But I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong adding my contacts and these pronlems are frustrating me.

The first problem, which happens often, is that contacts that I have linked together seem to unlink themselves. Seems to happen with random contacts and some of them repeatedly. This results in double entries and I have to re-merge them, some of which unlink again. I did notice a lot of them are local and sim contacts.

Secondly, when I add a local contact it also adds it to my corporate outlook account. I don't want this and wish to keep the two separate. It will also add it to my sim contacts, which I don't mind, but curious if this is normal behavior.

Lastly, more of a question: what is the difference between local and sim contacts? Do added contacts get put on local and automatically sync to the sim card? And is it possible to prevent these local contacts from being automatically added to my corporate account?

Thanks for any advice...

EDIT: Forgot to mention that sometimes my local contacts get doubled up in the links screen. So selecting the links option the contact appears twice as a local contact which are linked. I have to unlink one of them and delete it.
    02-24-13 04:15 PM
    Is it possible I'm the only one who's contacts lose their links?
    02-24-13 07:58 PM
    I'm having this same problem with contacts unlinking themselves. I notice, however, they stay linked until I turn my phone off. When it's restarted they're unlinked again.
    I have tried posting on BlackBerry Support forums, tweeting Black Berry Support and no help. Any help would be much appreciated.
    02-25-13 01:45 AM
    I'm having this same problem with contacts unlinking themselves. I notice, however, they stay linked until I turn my phone off. When it's restarted they're unlinked again.
    I have tried posting on BlackBerry Support forums, tweeting Black Berry Support and no help. Any help would be much appreciated.
    I'll have to test that out myself. Let me know if you hear anything back.

I'm surprised no one else here has this problem. Either that or no one wants to help!

Thanks.
    02-25-13 12:00 PM
    The only reason contacts would unlink is if there's drastic changes to them from an outside source. In your case, I'm going to assume that your contacts are syncing with gmail? If so, that's something you're going to have to figure out, because before I got the Z10, I had a Nexus 4 which did the same thing. The problem in my case, turned out to be my Mac changing enough things in the contact for the phone to unlink them. It was extremely frustrating to figure out, so good luck to you. If you want my advice, make a set of "offline" contacts on your phone and don't sync them with google, because this will keep happening if you have more than one device syncing to your google contacts at once.

Anyways, since I resolved my issue, my Z10 is synced to my gmail contacts right now, and they have never unlinked even after a restart.
    dynot likes this.
    02-25-13 01:34 PM
    None of my contacts sync to Google as I don't have any saved there. All those that unlink are local and sim contacts.

Thanks for the suggestion though. That's something I should double check.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 03:01 PM
    Just an update on what I've found on this issue.

As Ian8206 states in his post, I avoided restarting the phone and it looked like for a while there that seemed to keep all my links intact. However, after a couple of days it happened again.

This time I checked every contact that unlinked and the only common factor I could see is that all the unlinked contacts are stored on my SIM. All are also stored locally and some are also in my corporate list. But all are definitely on my SIM and only those lose the link.

I'm going to delete all SIM contacts and see if this happens again. If not, looks like there's a bug with storing contacts on your SIM.
    02-27-13 07:41 PM
    I'm having exactly the same issues and have the same concerns/questions! Contacts not remaining linked, changes only saving for a short time. Don't know the difference between sim and local contacts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    prchrlady likes this.
    03-05-13 09:47 AM
    Same here since day one, its so annoying that I don't bother linking them again anymore. I am hopeful and positive that this will be addressed via an update eventually, until then, it is what it is...
    03-05-13 11:05 AM
    Hey Everyone, I've managed to find a fix for this. I fixed it a week ago, sorry that I haven't responded sooner, I wrote in so many threads I can't believe I forgot I posted on CB. I hope this gets stickied because I've seen a number of people who have had this issue. I have a feeling dynot has found a way around it by now, he was on the right track.
    This is what I had to do I feel dumb for not figuring this out right away:

I had to go to my contacts and stop having contacts from my SIM card be displayed. You do that buy swiping from the top > settings and turn SIM Card Contacts to off. Then in that same screen go to the bottom and do import contacts from SIM. This saves those contacts to the device, so all your contacts are saved on the same hard drive.

I thought just keeping the SIM card in there and linking them would do the trick at first. Not the case, since whenever you restart the phone, I guess the device re recognizes the sim card, and so the contacts will unlink and SIM contacts will be displayed under a separate portrait than those saved on the device. Let me know if this works.
    03-06-13 04:46 PM
    i think just do a factory reset and then problem solves.
    03-07-13 09:28 PM
    Having suffered two weeks of pain and suffering sychronising my contacts on a new Z10, here is a possible solution. The root of the problem is that the Z10, a brilliant device in every other way, it is ahead of its time and uses cloud like technology to synchronise contacts - it works fine if you enter a Gmail of Hotmail account as your email account address but will create total chaos if you use an AOL or other "dinasaur" internet providers

This exercise is designed to copy Contacts from an old Blackberry to a new Z10 after a previous attempt to synch via Blackberry Link software. It worked for me and it should work for you, but no guarantees:

1. If you have already tried to synchronise your Z10 via Blackberry Link, save any key photos or documents that are NOT already backed up on your PC this can be done from Blackberry Link by copying and pasting items from Blackberry Link on your PC to My Pictures or My Documents on your PC. Be sure to check that there isnt any other data on your Z10 that isnt on your PC, as otherwise this will need to be backed up
    2. Uninstall Blackberry Link on your PC via the Control Panel of your PC
    3. In My Documents or My Pictures delete all contents of any Blackberry files ( these will contain garbled lists of Contents and maybe re-entered again into your Z10 unless deleted)
    4. Reset your Z10 to factory settings by tapping on Settings and then Security and Privacy and wipe your Z10 clean of all existing data (this will delete everything on the Z10, but is easy to restore provided you have first backed up any data that is not already in either your old Blackberry or your PC - once you start the deleting process, it takes around 10 minutes to wipe the data)
    5. If you do not already have a Hotmail or Gmail account, set one up and remember your username and password (this takes no time at all)
    6. Log into a PC that is not your own PC and install Blackberry Link. Connect your old Blackberry to this PC or laptop and download all of your Contacts from your old Blackberry into Blackberry Link
    7. Open your Gmail or Hotmail account and import the Contacts from Blackberry Link all of your contacts from your old Blackberry will now be backed up in your Gmail or Hotmail account
    8. Turn on your Z10 and tap on Accounts and then Add Account (at the bottom of the screen) and enter the information ( username and password are all that should be necessary) of either your existing or newly created Gmail or Hotmail account make sure you check the boxes that refer to Email, Contacts and Calendar this is now the account that will drive your Contacts
    9. Gmail and Hotmail effectively have a cloud like system, so once you enter your account in your Z10, it will automatically copy all of your contacts from your Gmail or Hotmail account into your Z10. Also all new entries on the Z 10 or your Gmail/Hotmail account will continuously synchronise
    10. You can then add all your other email accounts, but only Gmail or Hotmail will be used for Contacts. You can still have multiple email addresses which will all feed into your Hub.
    03-13-13 04:58 PM
    My problem is that after merging contacts, sometimes I cannot rename them. Or BB renames it on its own by picking parts of names from merged contacts. Another problem that I have is that after renaming the contact some part of the contact info disappears! I have always been a fan of BB for excellent contact management, so this makes me feel worried.
    04-12-13 01:20 PM
    After upgrading, I restored the backup, but contacts are no longer link together.
    I have to do it one by one again and again.
    BB must improve this. I am so tired of doing it.
    04-12-13 01:43 PM
    Secondly, when I add a local contact it also adds it to my corporate outlook account. I don't want this and wish to keep the two separate. It will also add it to my sim contacts, which I don't mind, but curious if this is normal behavior.
    Is your corporate outlook added as a standard active sync? Or is it a BlackBerry Balance account?
    If it's a balance account, creating a personal contact should not create it in your corporate account.

Otherwise it treats the exchange account as yet another active sync service (engine. Hotmail) any contact created on the device will sync to all accounts, as long as it's within the personal side of your device.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 02:21 PM
    I have those same issues and trying to fix it made me almost throw it against the wall, because there is no rhyme or reason as to why it is doing that.
    I have outlook.com contacts sync enabled.
    So I enter a new contact. This creates it consisting of three links. SIM, Local and Outlook. Then let's say I noticed that there was a typo in either name or number or email, or I just want to add a ringtone. I make the changes, but then the SIM link disappears, or changes the namd by adding the last name to the first name line and doubling the last name in the entry. So I go back in and remove the lastname from the first name line and save it. The SIM link vanishes!
    So I pull up the contact again and select add to SIM.
    This creates a single SIM contact with the same info as the other entry that consists of the Outlook and Local links.
    So I merge them via add a link.
    Looks fine now. Now reboot the phone a little while later and what you will find is that the SIM contact entry is unlinked again. The only way to fix it is to reenter the contact from scratch!
    What a stupid, stupid thing! The developers have never seen this before???
    04-14-13 08:07 PM
    I have duplicate contacts as well. I have linked them together and they came back. I have removed all contacts from my sim card, and I still have duplicates. I only use yahoo. Very annoying.
    prchrlady likes this.
    04-15-13 07:17 AM
    Hi everyday my contacts get linked to other contacts links so i have two people merged together this is a real pain in the ***
    I have to go through my contacts everyday to check to see if this is happening. I dont know why they are merging. I dont have a unlink problem I have a linking problem..helpppp.
    prchrlady likes this.
    04-17-13 03:46 PM
    Some of contacts unlink. But not all of them. It's weird. I'm just waiting for next update before going to BlackBerry for an answer

Loves the Z10
    04-17-13 06:57 PM
    My simple solution is that
    1- I turn off Sim contact service,
    2- whenever I have a new number, after setting the new number on the phone, I will go to Setting/Account/ and then press More to delete local contact by selecting Clear Local Contact
    After this way, the contact number will link to its destination correctly. I normally use corporate outlook only so it would be simple at this time, because BB10 still has problem with linking .....

hope this help
    11-10-13 11:36 AM
    My simple solution is that
    1- I turn off Sim contact service,
    2- whenever I have a new number, after setting the new number on the phone, I will go to Setting/Account/ and then press More to delete local contact by selecting Clear Local Contact
    After this way, the contact number will link to its destination correctly. I normally use corporate outlook only so it would be simple at this time, because BB10 still has problem with linking .....

hope this help
    I don't have an exchange server. I use Google contact sync.

I'm wondering if I remove my local contacts if it will then go and remove them all from Google.

I need to look into this.

Posted by CB10 on Z10.2.0.1372
    11-10-13 12:25 PM