Hello BB Passport fans,

My phone is still serving me well. A recent problem necessitates to ask for your advice and recommendations.

The Passport was doing rather well until last year in July when it started refusing to switch keyboard layouts. As this seemed too odd and specific, I decided it was an OS glitch and went for a security wipe. Then I got Error15 and and as you can probably guess, an OS reload via BB Link followed. Everything worked perfectly well after reloading the OS with Link… until a couple of days ago, when I noticed that DocsToGo refuses to open any documents, both when opening the app and browsing documents via the file manager.

When I try opening the app it just displays an attempt to launch in a window for less than half a second (the size of a minimised app window on the homescreen) and then switches back to the home screen with the app shortcuts. Nothing happens. When I try browsing with the file manager, the screen is dimmed twice quickly as an attempt to preview the document and then returns “Unable to open”.

My impression is that the app got broken. This is odd, because I used it post-shutdown and it worked perfectly. I am not convinced that the 4 Jan 2022 shutdown triggered this, because as far as I know, this is a stand-alone app that, although being a part of the native BB10 OS stock apps, is not connected to the internet and does not require any connection with the BB10 infrastructure that has been already suspended. I do not sideload anything on the phone, it has not been security-wiped post-shutdown, it was disconnected from BBID many months pre-shutdown. Also no attempts to convert the phone for the purpose of any Android functionality, always been used as is, with the native BB10 apps. No other native stock app behaves this way, already verified this. Attempted a reboot, soft, hard reset, to no avail. The phone runs smoothly as it normally does, except DocsToGo. I bought the pone brand new in 2018, sealed box, no hardware faults, the battery is still brilliant (day and overnight after heavy use, otherwise 48-72hrs under moderate use). This is why I cannot completely exclude this might be a fault due to post-shutdown (but it looks weird!).

I find the app useful enough to keep it. However, as Link is no longer functional (am I correct?), is reloading the OS via an autoloader the only option?

If yes:

- Would an autoloader permanently obliterate DocsToGo or it will show up again as one of the native apps after the OS reload?;

- What are the potential risks to brick the phone after running an autoloader and is there any known working solution to such unfortunate scenario?;

- Which option is more invasive, the autoloader or reloading via Link? I am asking because after the reload with link last year, this might be something that the reload with Link didn’t fully resolved. I was not surprised that when attempting to security-wipe the phone, it returned Error15, because the phone camera is used very much for nature and wildlife photos and there had been a substantial amount of I/O directly on the phone’s internal storage, so its file system might have suffered a bit.

Note: phone is SQW100-1, software release is 10.3.3.2137 (updated from 10.3.1).

I need to know what I should do in case the autoloader is the only choice and be well-prepared in advance, just in case. But if reloading via autloader has a destructive effect on DocsToGo, I wouldn’t be happy to do it right now, only in case something else begins to deteriorate; if there is any added risk to make the phone unusable, I am not ready for that now, if DocsToGo is lost, it is lost, I can live with that in case its restoration induces significant risk to the phone.

Thanks is advance for the useful responses, I will be very much grateful if jokes on the obsolescence of the device and its OS are politely left aside.
    01-18-22 11:34 AM
    Wiping or reloading your OS at this point is a crap shoot... my be lucky and get past the setup, and might not. But you would lose all your other BBW Apps and the ablity to sideload any other BAR files.

Is DocsToGo that important? I used the Android version from the Amazon store as they had the premium version free at one time. MS Office also worked well back then...
    Radoslav Valkov likes this.
    01-18-22 11:52 AM
    Blackberry Link does work. If you have a BBID on your phone, simply plug it in to your PC. They go to Backup/Restore. Select Restore your device and allow it to search for your backup files (.bbb). I am not sure if you can select the individual file as I have moved all my backup filed onto an external HDD. But if you see the .BBB backup file, check if it allows individual app restore. If so, simply restore Docs to Go.
    01-18-22 12:04 PM
    I just find DocsToGo convenient. But if it is very likely to get into the Wi-Fi setup annoyance, I could probably just leave the phone alone. As far as I can see, whether the phone had been post- or pre- shutdown security wiped, this setup problem may well occur? And by losing all your other BBW Apps you mean all other stock ones, as Calendar, Remember, Adobe Reader?
    01-18-22 12:13 PM
    I won't be lucky, because I have no backup. But how can I be able to do that, even with a BBID on a BB10? The infrastructure is gone and, as expected, the logo that indicates this connection next to the cellular signal disappeared on the 4th.
    01-18-22 12:17 PM
    I never wiped my any of my phones. I use DocsToGo also. If you simply try to restore the single app this is not a full system restore, so no issue with Wifi or any of the other issues people are having.
    01-18-22 12:17 PM
    I never wiped my any of my phones. I use DocsToGo also. If you simply try to restore the single app this is not a full system restore, so no issue with Wifi or any of the other issues people are having.
    I am not very up-to-date what can be done with Link, last year I reloaded the OS fully with it without being familiar with Link, but on another person's computer, as my desktop OS would not allow installing BB Link. So, it is possible to selectively restore DocsToGo without touching anything else? I inevitably wiped the phone last year (thought this would be he easier route to resolve the problem), because the fault it suffered made the phone totally useless, and the wipe led to Error15, then Link came to save the day.
    01-18-22 12:50 PM
    I am not very up-to-date what can be done with Link, last year I reloaded the OS fully with it without being familiar with Link, but on another person's computer, as my desktop OS would not allow installing BB Link. So, it is possible to selectively restore DocsToGo without touching anything else? I inevitably wiped the phone last year (thought this would be he easier route to resolve the problem), because the fault it suffered made the phone totally useless, and the wipe led to Error15, then Link came to save the day.
    Yes, you can selectively restore DTG without anything else. But if your backup was recent you may just restore the problems with the app again. Hopefully you have an older .bbb from which to choose when it asks for a backup location. I had several backups saved and could pick and choose.
    01-18-22 01:12 PM
    Did you make a backup of your phone before or after you wiped it, using Link? If you have a backup file, you can try to restore it from that file. If you do not have a backup file, then we are out or luck. I don't see any DocsToGo download file anywhere while searching the internet.

I checked my DBBT updates also, but no DocToGo file listed
    01-18-22 01:23 PM
    As Docstogo is a stock app I guess it can be extracted from the latest autoloader with DBBT. Then it could be sideloaded on your passport. I have never tried it, so I can't be of further help.
    Just don't wipe or reset your phone, there is a great risk it will become a brick!

Posted via CB10
    01-18-22 01:30 PM
    Could it be that DTG somehow relied on BB servers for validation or BBID for proper activation?
    01-18-22 01:36 PM
    Could it be that DTG somehow relied on BB servers for validation or BBID for proper activation?
    Mine works fine - just used it earlier today. I've got a suspicion he has some file associated with DTG that is corrupted in some way.
    01-18-22 01:47 PM
    I have the DocsToGo bar file. Send me a PM and I will get it to you.
    01-18-22 03:05 PM
    I am grateful for the useful responses and offered help to all of you, who took their time to reply! What I think would be the best, is to leave the phone as is. Sadly, I need it much more than I am tempted to tinker with the device, even sideloading.

I just accept it - let's use what's left of it! Think I have the same suspicion as brookie229, which, in my own view, indicates that for such a trouble-free phone operating for almost 4 years, this DTG problem might be a recurring I/O error, as it happened last year. If internal storage is prone to this, I better leave the device alone and use it until I can. If more trouble, then I will join the post-shutdown test group here!
    01-18-22 04:14 PM
    Could be! Although my BBID has been detached from the phone since July 2021 (and I have the recurring BBID login prompt), it may have impacted DTG. However, this should've happened earlier, on the 4th when the BB infrastructure connectivity status logo disappeared.
    01-18-22 04:20 PM