how do i turn off wifi for my android apps on my z10? none of the other answers on this thread seem to reduce my high PIM usage and increase my now only TWO hour battery life!

In theory you should be able to do that by running the Android settings utility and turning off WiFi in the Android runtime.

Sometimes that kind of thing works for me, sometimes it doesn't. (Not talking about WiFi specifically, just the whole concept of using the Android settings app to set Android runtime parameters in BB10)

You can launch the settings app via Ghost Commander (which is an Android app - there is a free port in BlackBerry World or you can install it via Snap etc) and some other Android utilities.
    04-25-14 04:16 AM
    Corrected the thread title from "Probable PIM battery drain soluton" to "Probable PIM battery drain solution".

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    Akshay Borkar likes this.
    04-25-14 04:22 AM
    You can also install an android launcher and access android settings from there. It's worked for me.
    04-25-14 06:02 PM
    Hi
    I had the same problem with BlackBerry ad the PIM was always on 40% plus and battery always gone in no time.

I set the phone to air plain mod and notice the issue still remains with the same 40% PIM.

I went to the file manager and checked the download section, deleted the 3 apk android related app that I had to download for installation.

Bang, worked out the files there been interfering with the PIM. Straight away PIM went to idle.

Hope this help.

Sam

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 09:51 AM
    on total airplane mode my battery still only shows a 3 hour life, with PIM services still taking up >50% of the CPU! what to do?! woe is me! and i DID read this entire thread and try everything. when i turned off the "synchronize contacts, calendars and e-mail", the PIM services % still didn't go down! anyt suggestions? thanks!
    total airplane mode of android and not BB10..!! they are totally different..plus android WIFI is the main culprit..!!
    04-28-14 12:35 PM
    Errm. So how do you activate the Android flight mode?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 01:40 PM
    A couple days ago I noticed my Z10 getting warm, caught an Android calendar component running via Taskmanager - com.calendar.something-or-other. Killing that evened things out; I no longer have an Android launcher installed to check out your WiFi suggestion though. I suspected the launcher (KitKat) or ES file manager contained the calendar component so I deleted them, I haven't had it show up again so I believe them to be the problem.
    Very similar to my post 2.1 update where I downloaded some android apps and battery life all went to hell. Taskmanager kept showing all sorts of android mayhem so I just purged the phone of all non BB world apps then all was good again. I'll see if I can do the android Airplane mode trick through Ghost Commander, that's how I killed a lot of those pesky android apps that Taskmanager couldn't hold down but it's a convoluted route.
    04-28-14 06:54 PM
    Awesome!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 06:57 PM
    For those with Ghost Commander, here is the path:
    home/Applications/Settings/Shortcuts/Settings-MAIN / WIRELESS & NETWORKS / More .../ Airplane Mode [check]
    04-28-14 07:30 PM
    Errm. So how do you activate the Android flight mode?

Posted via CB10
    by installing a launcher or ghost commander.. read the comment above this..!!
    05-05-14 07:13 AM
    Corrected the thread title from "Probable PIM battery drain soluton" to "Probable PIM battery drain solution".

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    thanks mod... i had tried to edit it when i made the op..but i was not getting the option to edit...so i left it on mods..
    KenFletch likes this.
    05-05-14 07:16 AM
    Hi all. Previous tips doesn't work for me, but recently I tried changing my contacts sync account from Google.com to Live.com and surprisingly PIM service doesn't run as mad as before.

Please note I only change the contacts sync account, email and calendar still using google's

My current account:
    - Google : email and calendar
    - Google : email
    - Live : contacts
    - Facebook

Try it out for 1-2 days and see if it also make a diff for u guys

Thanks
    Probable PIM battery drain solution-img_20140512_090916.png

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 09:10 PM
    Hi all. Previous tips doesn't work for me, but recently I tried changing my contacts sync account from Google.com to Live.com and surprisingly PIM service doesn't run as mad as before.

Please note I only change the contacts sync account, email and calendar still using google's

My current account:
    - Google : email and calendar
    - Google : email
    - Live : contacts
    - Facebook

Try it out for 1-2 days and see if it also make a diff for u guys

Thanks

Thanks.

It's known that the "PIM Services" issue is usually related to one or more of email, contacts syncing, calendar syncing, social media accounts of various kinds, notes syncing ie Evernote, etc. Including any Android apps (ie Skype etc) that perform any of those functions.

My usual suggestion is to remove any accounts on the device of any of those types, then add them back one-by-one until the culprit is identified.
    05-12-14 12:14 AM
    A couple of weeks ago I also ran into the issue of excessive battery drainage by the PIM Services. Did not really pay too much attention to it until I was exposed to a more frequent need to charge my Q10. Instead of every 1.5-2 days I now have to charge it every 1-1.5 days. Task Manager was a helpful tool to find out that this is due to the PIM Services which drain somewhere between 30 and 40% during a full cycle. That far I have tried deleting synchronised Gmail e-Mail and calender, as well as the Evernote account. I have also set Gmail contacts synchronisation to manual and deleted all of the local contacts and calendars as it was suggested above. It did not have a positive impact on PIM Services. I am still struggling with deleting Facebook and Gmail contacts account to see if this is a reason to cause excessive battery consumption due to a faulty loop or any other king of bug, but I might be giving it a try if the next Facebook update is not going to bring things back to normal. Reason to struggle is my unwillingness to go through a lengthy relink procedure of some of my Gmail and Facebook contacts which names differ. It is also worth noticing that I do not use any Android applications.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    05-18-14 03:36 PM
    Hi mihal, I am not sure if you use Enterprise Server. If you use active sync you can switch off the sync individual. Also the calender.

For me this was the solution.
    By stitching off calender the CPU usage went low. At the end there was a single record making the problems.

Succes

Posted via CB10
    Mihal Shopofolives likes this.
    05-27-14 01:10 AM
    Thank you for some hints!

To start with, I am not using the Enterprise Server and in addition to that wasn't it the case that the Active Sync function is not available to free users of Gmail services? However, if I am mistaken, I would be thankful if you'd let me know whether there is a chance to switch it off without deleting and reconfiguring Gmail and Calendar accounts anew. I wasn't successful in finding these features within the setting for my accounts up to now.

I find it quite strange that the issue popped up out of nowhere, it wasn't the case a couple of months ago and then suddenly PIM Services battery drainage rockets into the blue. I can also observe a significant increase in CPU workload dedicated to PIM when creating new entries in the Calendar.
    05-27-14 07:09 PM
    This issue is now suddenly effecting my Q10

PIM services have massive drain on my battery performance

Did anyone find a solution?

Q10 - 10.2.1.3175
    05-30-14 07:00 AM
    I am sorry I am not using Gmail. I suggest to check the calender items which are repeating. Remove them. Possible your Friendly are getting too old. :-)

Posted via CB10
    Mihal Shopofolives likes this.
    06-01-14 04:42 PM
    What I figured out after doing a factory reset is that apparently it is normal for PIM-Services to eat up to 30%+ of my battery during a cycle when synchronisation of my Gmail E-Mail, Calendar and Contacts is happening every 30 minutes. Increasing the synchronisation intervals for the latter two to 4 and 24 hours respectively had a positive impact on CPU workload and, consequently, battery consumption.

However, what still seems somewhat mysterious to me is the data volume which PIM Services transmit. For any given interval of two days it is approximately 25 mb of outbound traffic and 5 mb of inbound. I am quite sure that I am not writing/composing/creating so many new E-Mails/calendar entries/contacts. Therefore, I will give it a try and tweak various accounts, starting with my calendar.

I will write back with more details in the upcoming days.

Last edited by Mihal Shopofolives; 06-01-14 at 05:20 PM.
    06-01-14 05:04 PM
    After a little bit of playing around and tweaking the synchronisation times of my Gmail accounts, I was able to confirm your theory. My calendar is responsible for an unusual PIM-Services CPU usage and, as a consequence, increased battery consumption pattern. However, I suspect exceptions to repeating items, rather than repeating items on its own to attribute to this issue the most. Reasoning is fairly simple. In the past I also used to have repeating items, however, only recently I started applying exceptions to them and around the same time my battery consumption pattern has changed. As an optimal solution I decided to decrease the synchronisation time to every four hours and everything is back to normal since then.

Chris Tau likes this.
    06-05-14 01:14 PM
    I had the problem with the PIM service battery drainage, this helped me allot! I was thinking to request a new phone or buy another battery, but after i removed and re entered my emails the battery went from 10 hours to 3 Days at 50%. Than you for your advice!
    07-21-14 09:08 AM

1. Deleted the email accounts access to contacts and calender (email part was untouched, Sync interval: 24hrs)
    2. Removed accounts of Twitter, Linkedin, etc
    3. Facebook: Disabled Find Friends, Sync Events. (Notifications and Messages enabled)
    4. Went to Android Settings (via a launcher[Go launcher Ex Pro to be specific]) and enabled airplane mode. (Sometimes android wifi remains on.. turn it off manually, also it wont turn off your BB wifi.. but when you turn on BB wifi.. androids wifi gets enabled too.. so make sure you keep on disabling it for controlling PIM)
    (NOTE: Certain android apps need android wifi to be ON to work properly)

The moment I did this...PIM which was currently at peak in CPU usage went IDLE..

Great hint Akshay !
    i'm on SW release 10.21.2977 on Q10 SQN100-3 and in the last week my battery was draining so fast, for instance I lost 30% in one hour once.
    My PIM services were always >55% battery. Crazy.

After reading your post i noticed that my hotmail account was disconnected, that could be one of the causes.
    I kept all my other accounts (pro email, hotmail, facebook, linkedin, evernote) without changing settings though.

Then I installed Go Launcher Ex Free through SNAP and accessed settings and activated flight mode in android runtime.

I completed my charge 15mn after that, PIM services are back to <5% and my battery isn't draining anymore.
    In the past 14hours I lost 25% battery only, but it was between 6pm and 10:40am.

so your advices worked out for me! thanks!
    08-28-14 04:46 AM
    Read all this and hard to know what to think. Advice has too many changes at once to be able to isolate the problem.

I decided to try different suggestions one at a time starting from to least destructive started with to concept that PIM is struggling to reconcile something in contacts and/or calendar.

step one clear caches for both of those and the a regular top button restart

Result :Z30 was running down in 4-6 hours, since then after 1 regular use hrs more than 50% left. Hoping this is it. Will report back

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    09-01-14 11:58 PM
    My experiences on PIM issues on BB10:

- the tips on accounts/contact/calendar works.
    - disable location services
    - when roaming, manual select the mobile network

I never figured out Android launcher, (android) quick setting, etc. And so far I don't have to.
    09-04-14 06:31 PM
    Thanks.

It's known that the "PIM Services" issue is usually related to one or more of email, contacts syncing, calendar syncing, social media accounts of various kinds, notes syncing ie Evernote, etc. Including any Android apps (ie Skype etc) that perform any of those functions.

My usual suggestion is to remove any accounts on the device of any of those types, then add them back one-by-one until the culprit is identified.
    It didn't work that way for me. It was still draining even when I have no account on my Z10. When I was moving to Z30, I decided to remove all of my account while the PIM service battery drain is happening. And guess what? It was still draining.
    09-04-14 07:19 PM
77 1234