Hear me out.....

Most people would think that Blackberry making Android phones would cause BB10 sales to plummet. I don't think it will and here is why.

BB10 device sales have been slowing down, those are the simple facts. The passport has done well and the classic has done ok, sales wise, but with no future devices in the pipeline at the moment and all the talk about Blackberry moving to Android devices, it can only spell the end for good sales for BB10 devices... Wrong!

I believe lots of BB10 users may buy the Priv and sell their BB10 devices, only to realise how good of a operating system BB10 actually is and come running back. I believe this will increase sales of BB10 devices by hardcore users trying new devices and realising that they had it better with BB10.

They would then buy a new BB10 device, hence the bump in sales. This is just speculation, but I bet I'm on the right lines.

Only time will tell!

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 04:09 PM
    doubtful...I think many that like bb10 will stick with it and most people don't sell their devices before making sure they are committed to the next. Either way selling more BB10 devices isn't going to make chen decide they need another bb10 device. They will sell the current stock but aren't going to be producing more is my guess
    11-11-15 04:47 PM
    doubtful...I think many that like bb10 will stick with it and most people don't sell their devices before making sure they are committed to the next. Either way selling more BB10 devices isn't going to make chen decide they need another bb10 device. They will sell the current stock but aren't going to be producing more is my guess
    I believe you may be right. Heck, when was the last time we spotted a new leak or heard of one coming down your pipe, Summer time? Just wish Chen was more up front onto what is going on with BB10. I just wanna know where it stands so I can move on.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 05:01 PM
    I have had my Z10 for almost 3 years, still working flawlessly. I am considering the Passport SE but with the launch of the PRIV, the attention even within BlackBerry about Android, the constant BB10 is dead in these forums, I am very hesitant to pull the trigger. Most likely if there is a 40% off Black Friday offer I will snatched one, otherwise I will wait, and wait until the Z is dead.

The PRIV is hindering my desire to buy another BB10 device.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 05:21 PM
    Always good to have options. As long as the sales results contribute to the same bottom line whether you are a BBOS10 enthusiast or Android. I would like to try out the Android variation of Blackberry as well as keep my Q10 and Z10. It's all about what it takes for BlackBerry to remain a viable option. I am all for it. Keep on doing what you are doing John Chen. Just make sure that Blackberry does not become a footnote in cell phone history.

Posted via Q10 SQN100-2/Z10 STL 100-3
    11-11-15 06:53 PM
    Even if you are right, the number of hardcore users is insignificant and would not save the BlackBerry handset division.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-11-15 06:56 PM
    They would then buy a new BB10 device, hence the bump in sales. This is just speculation, but I bet I'm on the right lines.
    I will gladly take that bet. For any amount of $ you would like to bet.
    11-11-15 06:56 PM
    BB10's app problem isn't going away. Yes, back door Snap and Cobalt may work for a some, but it's no option for the masses, and it can't be marketed. Unless BlackBerry can come up w/ an app remedy, BB10 will remain on the sidelines.

Posted via CB app on my BlackBerry Classic
    11-11-15 07:01 PM
    OP, there are no more BB10 developers left - just enough to issue minor patches and keep some lights on. And without the permission to update or include the Android Runtime on any new devices, the ecosystem is essentially dead.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    11-11-15 07:04 PM
    sad sad times in waterloo.

Posted via CBX
    11-11-15 07:13 PM
    OP, there are no more BB10 developers left - just enough to issue minor patches and keep some lights on. And without the permission to update or include the Android Runtime on any new devices, the ecosystem is essentially dead.

I'd personally select good developers to develop key native apps like fb, Twitter, instagram, LinkedIn... And usual wa and viber...
    11-11-15 07:16 PM
    I'd personally select good developers to develop key native apps like fb, Twitter, instagram, LinkedIn... And usual wa and viber...
    Using what APIs?
    11-11-15 07:20 PM
    What's the incentive? They already tried that when BlackBerry 10 first came out.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 07:50 PM
    What's the incentive? They already tried that when BlackBerry 10 first came out.

Posted via CB10
    They have not tried enough I feel. Seriously, hardly any updates? If they had at least half of the effort they spent building the Priv...
    11-11-15 09:36 PM
    I can't see BlackBerry producing BB10 devices from here on in. It just doesn't make sense to beat a dead horse. From the Z10 to the Silver Passport, the press and consumers think of one thing. BlackBerry has no apps. BlackBerry could have thrown in the best advertising and it wouldn't have mattered. No developers, no confidence and a lack of Interest sadly spells the end to BB10 devices.

I love BB10. Always will. On the other hand, who's to say that the talented BlackBerry crew couldn't do wonders with Android in time? From the looks of it, they're off to a great start. Remember BB10'S first build? Now look at it. Amazing.

I realize many can't comprehend this, but the move to Android is not only logical, it may blow expectations in the near future. I'm fortunate to have a bunch of BB10's on hand, but I will be trying the Priv with open eyes soon.

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    11-11-15 10:07 PM
    I think the Passport SE was a swan song to fans, very glad I got one. Expect a good year or two more and then it will be off to something else for me, unless something incredible happens. If BlackBerry builds a good android like the solid build of the SE then I will probably follow. Slider is interesting to me.

 Passport SE 
    11-12-15 12:57 AM
    I think the Passport SE was a swan song to fans, very glad I got one. Expect a good year or two more and then it will be off to something else for me, unless something incredible happens. If BlackBerry builds a good android like the solid build of the SE then I will probably follow. Slider is interesting to me.

 Passport SE 
    It is an amazing phone, but I think it happened by accident.

Were parts ordered for a Porsche phone before it got canned? Was there supposed to be an Oslo Android Passport release that got shelved? There is more to this story I think.

11-12-15 05:41 AM

Were parts ordered for a Porsche phone before it got canned? Was there supposed to be an Oslo Android Passport release that got shelved? There is more to this story I think.

You got your SE recently, and I see you're quite active here. Are you not interested by the Priv ?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 05:51 AM
    You got your SE recently, and I see you're quite active here. Are you not interested by the Priv ?

Posted via CB10
    I am still waiting for my Priv from ShopBlackberry.

Ideally I would want an updated Android Runtime that is OHA-certified, on modern hardware running BB10. Since that is impossible, we have to move on - if not now, then soon.

11-12-15 06:50 AM

Interesting. Would like Chen to clarify after the dust settles.

 Passport SE 
    11-12-15 09:33 AM