Does anyone know if the ability to print from the phone will be in future os updates?

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 07:38 PM
    Does anyone know if the ability to print from the phone will be in future os updates?

Posted via CB10
    Since we'd need the drivers for every printer under the sky to be baked into the OS, I find it unlikely that it will be baked.

We may get a general service and hope companies build apps, but that's as hopeful as I can get.

There are a few apps already though, you should check BlackBerry World.
    11-21-13 07:41 PM
    Well I just noticed that the iPhone now has that baked into the OS and most printer companies now make universal drivers, so no I don't think every driver will be required.

Should be some light coding and have a share to printer option. Not saying that this is a deal breaker but I like to see blackberry keep up with the Jones lol

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 08:04 PM
    Well I just noticed that the iPhone now has that baked into the OS and most printer companies now make universal drivers, so no I don't think every driver will be required.

Should be some light coding and have a share to printer option. Not saying that this is a deal breaker but I like to see blackberry keep up with the Jones lol

Posted via CB10
    I suggested two different approaches. Either a generic service and then each one builds an app (iPhone's got it) or bake every driver into the OS.

But you know what? Apple has enough marketshare to get both if they want. And that's the same reason BlackBerry10 has no such apps.
    11-21-13 08:38 PM
    I use PrintHand app and it's pretty good.

I would love it if I could send the files to print through the share menu, but it is what it is and it does the job for me.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 09:50 PM
    Why doesn't BlackBerry make a "reverse" Print to Go app?

Basically, it would allow me to send files that I want to print to an application I would have installed on my desktop (or a Web based client).

Then when I am at my desktop, I could select to print all those documents I selected.

Really, this should be baked into BlackBerry Link. It already has the ability to communicate with the device wirelessly. How much more difficult would it be to add a print client to Link and some basic options that would allow us to dictate if the document is printed immediately or when we select print from the desktop client.

This is the stuff that frustrates me to no end about BlackBerry. We all know they can do this stuff. Why the heck don't they do it?

Posted via CB10
    diegonei and SDTRMG like this.
    11-21-13 10:34 PM
    Not a bad idea. That's how most apps work right now anyway.

But leveraging Link is where your idea gets its icing.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    11-21-13 11:15 PM
    If you have a gmail app installed, you can Google cloud print from there.

Play cloud has it on the road map for someday. Play cloud is worth it for cloud access that might be handy as well.

Posted via CB10
    nicklas79 likes this.
    11-22-13 01:18 AM
    To print you have 2 ways :

- a standalone application : the application is able to communicate directly with the printer. So to avoid specific drivers, need to use a common language.
    PlayCloud works as it. IPP network protocol for the transport. And native document format for data (jpeg, pdf...)

- a client / server. The mobile application sends the file to server. And server converts and uses the printer driver.

I prefer the first way, most of first permits to do the second too. Indeed just install a printer server as CUPS and works perfectly.

AirPrint is just a way to discover automatically the printers on a local network. PlayCloud can do it. (you can check in using mDNS Service Discovery Application too - in the BlackBerry World)

Then AirPrint uses IPP to transport data as PlayCloud.

Finally AirPrint sends PDF, JPEG or an Apple file. PlayCloud doesn't support this apple format. But I'd like to be able to convert JPEG/PNG in this apple format.

To sum up if the BlackBerry Web browser, doc to go, hub... were able to convert their document to a jpeg/pdf files we could print them.

In using Google drive you can convert your documents (supported by PlayCloud)
    I will add soon google cloud print support.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 02:27 AM
    Why doesn't BlackBerry make a "reverse" Print to Go app?

Basically, it would allow me to send files that I want to print to an application I would have installed on my desktop (or a Web based client).

Then when I am at my desktop, I could select to print all those documents I selected.

Really, this should be baked into BlackBerry Link. It already has the ability to communicate with the device wirelessly. How much more difficult would it be to add a print client to Link and some basic options that would allow us to dictate if the document is printed immediately or when we select print from the desktop client.

This is the stuff that frustrates me to no end about BlackBerry. We all know they can do this stuff. Why the heck don't they do it?

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry needs ideas like this and people who can think as you do, perfect yet simple way to add wireless charging. I mean it's obviously not ad simple as it sounds but it'd easier then releasing a airprint (apple) protocol an hoping companies code it to there printers

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Tobacconist|Tattoos - C00016D82
    11-22-13 02:30 AM
    PrintHand here, does what is says it does.. and does it well. Connects to almost all wi fi printers, prints files, web pages, email, docs, and more
    11-22-13 02:39 AM
    I'm so jealous of my dad's ability to just print stuff straight from his iPhone.

What the **** is this "Print To Go" crap we have on BB?

So I have to send a document from that to my computer and then print it? What in earth is the point in that?

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 06:08 AM
    I'm so jealous of my dad's ability to just print stuff straight from his iPhone.

What the **** is this "Print To Go" crap we have on BB?

So I have to send a document from that to my computer and then print it? What in earth is the point in that?

Posted via CB10
    Don't worry :

PrintToGo is a tool just to send easily document from a computer to your BlackBerry.
    PrintToGo makes that your computer sees your BlackBerry as a printer.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    11-22-13 06:39 AM
    Since we'd need the drivers for every printer under the sky to be baked into the OS, I find it unlikely that it will be baked.

We may get a general service and hope companies build apps, but that's as hopeful as I can get.

There are a few apps already though, you should check BlackBerry World.
    I know that linux doesn't have drivers for every printer baked into the OS seeing as they are pretty light weight installs and when I installed Mint 15 it took 5 seconds to connect it to my kodak ESP 7 and print wirelessly. In fact I did it by accident when digging around print properties. It was just a matter of telling it to print wirelessly.
    11-22-13 10:47 AM
    I know that linux doesn't have drivers for every printer baked into the OS seeing as they are pretty light weight installs and when I installed Mint 15 it took 5 seconds to connect it to my kodak ESP 7 and print wirelessly. In fact I did it by accident when digging around print properties. It was just a matter of telling it to print wirelessly.
    Can you return me the output of "mDNS Service Discovery" with your Kodak printer?

The printer should be found by this tool.

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 11:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Don't worry it is already available for you. Just go to this link to download the application today

http://m.printhand.com/?c=m or you can go to BlackBerry App World & look for Printhand.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 12:24 PM
    Don't worry it is already available for you. Just go to this link to download the application today

http://m.printhand.com/?c=m or you can go to BlackBerry App World & look for Printhand.

Posted via CB10
    The free version is not available for the BlackBerry 10 smartphone. The application doesn't support specifying an IP address for a printer.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    11-28-13 08:04 AM
    If the goal is direct printing from your handset to a printer without any other intermediary, there are a few issues:

1. Consumer grade printers: inkjets and really cheap laser printers that most people have at home generally use either a proprietary driver or use the computer itself to create an image of the document that gets converted through software (acting as a print driver) to send the job to the machine already formatted and set for the exact specifications that the printer can take. These are great systems for the average person, when they work. Since they require a specific interface you're not really able to do much without the exact software from the manufacturer. In this case, you'd need an app to get the job done.

2. PCL printers: most business class, and midgrade and up laser printers use some form of HP's PCL language to change the format of your document into commands that the printer's onboard controller can understand and then interpret into printed output. The good thing is that for the most part, PCL is PCL: this is why you can generally use something simple like a LaserJet III driver with any PCL printer and get at least get a reasonably good print. The resolution or finishing options may not all be available, but for a quick and easy print job it works. Since we've already covered that we have a good amount of people printing from lower grade (i.e. disposable) printers, using a generic configurable PCL driver on your device is going to leave out a good chunk of home users. It's also going to be a bit of a crap shoot as to what options to be able to configure: yes there's always the basics of duplexing and colour, but do you allow for more advanced finishing features like collating, stapling, hole punching, etc? Let's say we strip those out and just leave black and white or colour and duplexing as your options, PCL is going to give us about 60 % of the market and would be a good solution for most business users.

PostScript: Adobe helped to develop PostScript as a cleaner language for printing, and for a lot of applications and platforms (Unix and its variants) it's the best bet. CUPS is based off of PostScript for one, but since we have the red flag of Adobe involved there's the rather nasty issue of licensing. Most of your really big name vendors (Ricoh, Canon, Xerox, etc) actually license PostScript components from Adobe. As a cost cutting move this is often an add-on feature, which saves about $300 USD off the price of a MFP or large copier. Without a PS add-on, these machines will just print pages and pages of gibberish when something is sent to them. So we've excluded those without the budget for PS with this as our solution, and we've also left out everyone with an inkjet or proprietary driver as well. There's also the risk of a company using their own PostScript implementation, like HP does. While most of the time files print just fine, often PDF's or other file formats that use PostScript can cause issues since the onboard emulation doesn't always account for newer features so you get partially printed pages or just more gibberish.

Cloud printing can be a handy method of printing as well, except that often the file has to be sent from your device out to a server somewhere to be converted for your printer and then sent to it (Depending on the implementation that the cloud printing vendor uses obviously). We're also looking at our goal being a direct print from handheld to printer so this is an intermediary step. It's also one that a lot of printers don't support directly, and one that no business in its right mind would want to implement as it works right now.

That's a really quick and dirty look at the issue so our options for reaching as many people at one time as possible comes down to a printing app with a generic PCL driver. The only real way to reach every possible printer though is through an OEM application for their printers: BlackBerry could do this, and with the number of companies using BES that are also printer manufacturers it should be an easy step, and it gets the developer folks out of the office.

From my years in both IT and printing service that's my take on the issue. Unless I can print from my device to my printer while on my network without any additional workarounds like cloud printing, print to email, or server software on a PC, then we shouldn't accept the solution. Maybe we've got a clever developer here who could build a universal driver for us???
    BCITMike likes this.
    11-29-13 11:47 AM
    PrintHand, you can find it at BlackBerry World.
    It prints direct from yours OS10, if the printer and the phone are at the same WiFi network.
    PrintHand find the printer and configure the connection.
    Works very well with the HP2025dn.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 01:54 PM
    PrintHand, you can find it at BlackBerry World.
    It prints direct from yours OS10, if the printer and the phone are at the same WiFi network.
    PrintHand find the printer and configure the connection.
    Works very well with the HP2025dn.

Posted via CB10
    What I want is the ability to print outside of the same Wifi network. I want to receive a pdf or word document on my device when I'm 100 miles away, hit print on my Z10, and have it print on whatever printer I have selected.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 09:17 PM
    What I want is the ability to print outside of the same Wifi network. I want to receive a pdf or word document on my device when I'm 100 miles away, hit print on my Z10, and have it print on whatever printer I have selected.

Posted via CB10
    If that's what you're looking for you can't print directly to the printer. It will require a PC in the middle no matter what. Printers just don't have access to the Internet like that. At least, I've never heard of one.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 06:56 AM
    If that's what you're looking for you can't print directly to the printer. It will require a PC in the middle no matter what. Printers just don't have access to the Internet like that. At least, I've never heard of one.

Posted via CB10
    The only printers I've seen with that kind of internet access have been configured incorrectly. Giving a device like that full access to the Internet is just asking for bad things to happen. Most machines only use HTTP so credentials are passed in plain text and anyone who can get into the web interface could do a bit of harm or annoyance.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 07:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    If you see my original comment, I asked why BlackBerry Link couldn't be configured to allow this. Link already connects with my device for the purpose of file sharing.
    This is the type of feature I think BlackBerry people would really value having built in to the product out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    11-30-13 07:39 AM
    It's a shame that a 'tool not toy' device hasn't the ability to print directly from email menu.
    Printhand may be a good app but 4.50 euro for something basic like printing is really too much!
    Is there any good news for printing options on 10.2.1 ?
    This is a detail that should be corrected asap if M.Chen really means business: you can't sell an OS in 2013 without an easy printing option from emails' menu and share options!
    I had to print from my mac, when i was sure to be able to do it in a few secs from my Q10... disappointed...

Posted via CB10
    Homesmontreal likes this.
    11-30-13 09:14 AM
    I use Print which I purchased for my PlayBook some time ago, and which showed up as an already paid App in BBWorld for my Z10.

Print pairs with a free server program called Sync which you install on your PC. You use Print to select and send a file to your PC. Sync receives the file and loads and prints the file (if you have the appropriate program on your PC).

Print actually works better on BB10 because the file manager is superior to the one on the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 12:55 PM
40 12