12-11-14 10:04 PM
67 123
tools
    One thing I noticed is that if you press the green Call button before you type a number your own telephone number will show in the box, which seems pretty useless to me.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443.
    09-16-13 05:48 PM
    Mannn, there is no "action" or "call"

Just click on the god damn number.

You want me to make of video of it working?

Posted via CB10
    Please make one.

The issue here is in trying to add a country prefix to that number.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    09-16-13 05:52 PM
    One thing I noticed is that if you press the green Call button before you type a number your own telephone number will show in the box, which seems pretty useless to me.

In my phone app, clicking on Call brings up the previously dialed number. Double-tap acts as redial.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    09-16-13 05:52 PM
    Please make one.

The issue here is in trying to add a country prefix to that number.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    I think he was being sarcastic.

09-16-13 06:45 PM
    It shouldn't be that hard to just type the number from memory, can it? Remembering nine numbers for ten seconds is not difficult.

09-16-13 06:47 PM
    djvetijo: There really isn't any need for harsh language. What you suggest does not work for me.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 06:54 PM
    Remembering the number is not a solution to this problem.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 06:55 PM
    Benjamin_NYC,
    I partially apologies, I overlooked the problem. The problem is with '+' sign.

So do this know:
    Go to the phone app, middle tap, paste the number in the search field and then instead of '+44' (for UK for example) add '0044'. Two zeros equals + for all phone operators.

If that doesn't work for you I will really have to make a video cause I just called someone overseas like that.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 07:33 PM
    Thank you for the apology. I followed your directions step by step:

1. I copied a local-format number from an email - in this case 2125551212

2. I went to Phone

3. I went to the middle tab

4. I pasted the number in the input field

5. I went to the beginning of the number and added "001" (this would work for calling back to the US from outside the US in most countries, so like you say, the equivalent of "+1")

6. Now what? There is no way to dial this number. I can't "click on the god damned number" like you said. That just moves the cursor around. I don't see how to dial now.

See below:

Post Part of Phone Number into Dial Pad in Phone-img_00001064.png

(By the way, replacing the "+" with "00" makes no difference with this problem; there is no way to dial the number once pasted and prefix added.)

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 07:56 PM
    Benjamin_NYC,
    I partially apologies, I overlooked the problem. The problem is with '+' sign.

So do this know:
    Go to the phone app, middle tap, paste the number in the search field and then instead of '+44' (for UK for example) add '0044'. Two zeros equals + for all phone operators.

If that doesn't work for you I will really have to make a video cause I just called someone overseas like that.

Posted via CB10
    The whole point of this is that there's no way to add the numbers to the front without removing the rest of the numbers. There is no cursor that you can place, and if you type the country code first and then paste the number, the country code gets erased.

As for the + sign, you just have to hold the zero key.

09-16-13 07:56 PM
    chaz95: Thank you. You summarized the problem correctly, and there is no direct solution.

I know pushing and holding 0 creates the +, but don't confuse people here -- that is in no way any aspect of a solution to this problem

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 08:04 PM
    Post Part of Phone Number into Dial Pad in Phone-img_00000011.png
    Video coming soon...
    Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 08:16 PM
    Look at my picture! I don't have the option to dial the number I pasted. You claim there is no action to dial, but there is! You have it. I do not. Again, look at my picture:

Post Part of Phone Number into Dial Pad in Phone-img_00001064.png

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 08:19 PM
    How about removing the () and spaces?

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 08:22 PM
    The problem is the "("!!! When those are in the number, the moronic system cannot identify it as a phone number. When removed, it works. So, even though MOST people use symbols in phone numbers, the idiotic software can only recognize a phone number if it's only numbers. What a bunch of useless idiots.

Post Part of Phone Number into Dial Pad in Phone-img_00001065.png

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 08:23 PM
    Right, removing the ( did it. Pathetic. Phone numbers are very often written with (, but their system can't handle it. Utter idiocy. Pathetic.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 08:24 PM
    For 3 days you couldn't think of trying removing ()??? LOL

Anyway, you are right - that is a flaw. What you need is called "add prefix before call" and is available on some other systems. BB10 is to new to get such small refinements.
    Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 08:29 PM
    Also, as a programmer, I can tell you it is hard and a big overhead to have extra characters,spaces, or dashes in number fields. But NAM/US is wired when we come down to standards.
    Just think about, you add 4 extra characters when you have (773) 312 3254 instead of 7723123254

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 08:33 PM
    For 3 days you couldn't think of trying removing ()??? LOL

Anyway, you are right - that is a flaw. What you need is called "add prefix before call" and is available on some other systems. BB10 is to new to get such small refinements.
    Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    My original desire was to paste the phone number in Numberpad mode. There is still no way to do that. I was only trying middle tab since you suggested it this morning. Then tonight realized at the same time you did that the "(" was confusing it. As was the "+" clearly.

If Smart Dialing worked properly, I don't think would be necessary. We'll see if it does now that I have the MR next time I'm out of the country.

Nevertheless, BB10 is not too "new" to have these types of things work - it is too POORLY PROGRAMMED.
    09-16-13 08:35 PM
    Also, as a programmer, I can tell you it is hard and a big overhead to have extra characters,spaces, or dashes in number fields. But NAM/US is wired when we come down to standards.
    Just think about, you add 4 extra characters when you have (773) 312 3254 instead of 7723123254

Posted via CB10
    So what? No other phone I've ever worked with has trouble understanding that +, (, ), -, etc. are part of a phone number, including BBOS. Only BB10 is so poorly conceived that it can't handle it.
    09-16-13 08:36 PM
    oh and btw, not sure where you copying the numbers from, but if you have the number saved in your contacts, go to the middle tab again, find the contact, click on it to expand the numbers, press and hold on the number and copy. When you paste it in the search above there will be no ( ).
    However, if you copy it from last dial numbers it will have ( ).

You can also try to change your country to United Kingdom or something else - that changes number formats too but not sure to what extend.

In addition, it seems like you are abroad and if you travel a lot your permenet solution and future proof will be to change your entire contact's list with the correct country code.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 08:53 PM
    BB10 does have "smart dialing," but I honestly have no idea how it works exactly. I don't travel enough.

It might be the automatic prefix feature mentioned above.

Post Part of Phone Number into Dial Pad in Phone-img_00001053.png

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    09-16-13 08:56 PM
    I think BravoZuluDelta may have a point there, check in the smart dialing (swipe from top in phone to access settings) and see if the country is set to where you at right now. If it is change it back to US and try to dial a number without prefix. I am curious to know how that works.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 09:01 PM
    In my example, I was copying from an email. The idea would be copying from someone's email signature that has the number in local format (without prefix). You would have to add the prefix if you were abroad.

UNLESS, Smart Dialing worked properly. It is supposed to add prefixes to numbers so you can dial as if at home. EXCEPT, it was broken and didn't function the last time I was abroad. I don't know if it was fixed in the MR, so I preparing for my next trip assuming that they didn't fix it. You can read ALL about that in one of my first threads on CB: BB10 Had International Dialing Idiocy (or something like that).

Bottom line, Smart Dialing should make what I'm trying to do unnecessary, however, like so many things on BB10, it was faulty. I was trying the paste then add prefix as preparation for my next trip. The paste then add prefix was, unsurprisingly, also broken.

BB10 continues, sadly unsurprisingly, to have international dialing idiocy.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 09:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    But it is so much easier to read when the brackets are there!

And there is normally a "-" instead of a space between the last two number groups, not a space.

09-16-13 09:29 PM
67 123