no phone, not even the best flagship one, will equal an old ipad or cheap desktop for browsing.
    Is that really the comparison?
    ppeters914 and mikael11 like this.
    06-19-19 11:44 PM
    I like everything about the Librem 5; though I'm inclined to wait for the market to produce open source hardware with a qwerty physical keyboard.
    There has been some discussion of a landscape slider keyboard for the PinePhone, but nothing definite (https://forums.ubports.com/topic/2403/pinephone/34).

Note that the poster there is referring to a conversation on the Linux Lads podcast (https://linuxlads.com/episodes/season-2-episode-4).

There's a comprehensive breakdown of the device specs in the first post of the UB Ports thread.
    givechanceachance likes this.
    06-20-19 07:43 AM
    Calls, texts, emails and light web surfing will continue to work for a while. The device should also be able to stream a little music or podcast for the foreseeable future on some sites.

Where things might get hairy for a lot of users, myself included might be on the app store closure. Certain basic apps like music streaming apps, weather, the odd sports or news app will probably shut down at the end of the year. There is only so much of a workaround people want to do in order for their phones to work properly.

BlackBerry 10 devices will also serve as an excellent backup device or travel phone.

It's going to be the end of an era with the EOL of BlackBerry 10 but it won't be over. A lot of the diehards will continue to use the platform for what it does best and that's calls, texts, emails, calendar etc.

Hopefully we all can enjoy a few more years of BlackBerry 10 before father time ends up taking over officially and the devices stop working.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-19 03:29 PM
    Calls, texts, emails and light web surfing will continue to work for a while. The device should also be able to stream a little music or podcast for the foreseeable future on some sites.

Where things might get hairy for a lot of users, myself included might be on the app store closure. Certain basic apps like music streaming apps, weather, the odd sports or news app will probably shut down at the end of the year. There is only so much of a workaround people want to do in order for their phones to work properly.

BlackBerry 10 devices will also serve as an excellent backup device or travel phone.

It's going to be the end of an era with the EOL of BlackBerry 10 but it won't be over. A lot of the diehards will continue to use the platform for what it does best and that's calls, texts, emails, calendar etc.

Hopefully we all can enjoy a few more years of BlackBerry 10 before father time ends up taking over officially and the devices stop working.

Posted via CB10
    Is WhatsFixer still necessary to be able to send/receive media on Android WhatsApp?

If yes, then anyone who hasn't downloaded WhatsFixer before 12/31/2019 at 11:59pm will be SOL!

If no, then great.
    06-20-19 03:34 PM
    Well with the Amazon store, at least you can install some supported Android Apps, if the Amazon store still works on BB10.
    06-20-19 04:36 PM
    Is WhatsFixer still necessary to be able to send/receive media on Android WhatsApp?

If yes, then anyone who hasn't downloaded WhatsFixer before 12/31/2019 at 11:59pm will be SOL!

If no, then great.

its not as far as i know....that can change tomorrow with an update to whatsapp though and the fixer might not even work
    06-20-19 04:54 PM
    How are you making good use of your BB10 device other than using it as a doorstop/paper weight?

Will the stock apps be enough to make it something like an over glamours alarm clock and secure storage device? What else?

I gave my PlayBook to a friend, though I kinda want it back.
    Hey givechance,

I plan to keep using my BB10 devices well into the future. Vague portents of doom from many on CB notwithstanding, everything other than Blackberry World should keep working normally with no trouble well into 2020 and beyond.

The stock native apps are helpful, but some of the native apps that have been released (such as bPod) help make BB10 serve many of the functions people need.

If your friend's willing to give you your PB back I'd say grab it...or better yet your friend can get one secondhand off eBay and then you'll both have one.
    06-21-19 12:01 AM
    I am seriously considering framing my Red Passport. It has enabled me to get so much done over the years.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-19 05:12 PM
    I am seriously considering framing my Red Passport. It has enabled me to get so much done over the years.

Posted via CB10
    I think its definitely the BB10 device that'll hold its value the best, even post 2020. It's just so rare.
    06-21-19 05:22 PM
    Still using mine. Can still sign into all e-mail accounts via the hub. I'll continue to do so regardless until they are simply NOT compatible, then i'll go android. Totally prepared for it.

Edit: browser still functions as I expect it to, computer is used for what it can't load. May carry an android device once the runtime acts like a **** more often than it currently does for firefox or opera mini (at least on this device).
    Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    06-28-19 06:29 PM
    Still using mine. Can still sign into all e-mail accounts via the hub. I'll continue to do so regardless until they are simply NOT compatible, then i'll go android. Totally prepared for it.

Edit: browser still functions as I expect it to, computer is used for what it can't load. May carry an android device once the runtime acts like a **** more often than it currently does for firefox or opera mini (at least on this device).
    Email will likely be the last thing to go, as long as the device gets data. The Hub directly connects to email servers and uses all standard email protocols that aren't going away anytime soon... much of it is so entrenched now. Even the Microsoft controlled EAS standards don't make sudden drastic changes overnight.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-28-19 10:35 PM
    Email will likely be the last thing to go, as long as the device gets data. The Hub directly connects to email servers and uses all standard email protocols that aren't going away anytime soon... much of it is so entrenched now. Even the Microsoft controlled EAS standards don't make sudden drastic changes overnight.
    My carrier is unlikely to shutdown the 3G network anytime soon, and as for blackberry 10, no BIS needed, so data is there forever. I'm not at all concerned about the looming shutdown of anything at all, in terms of blackberry 10-specific stuff (blackberry world=sole application repository).

AOL prevents imap from working on hub, so I switched to POP3, that was the same day.

06-28-19 11:20 PM
    Hey, I tried sending you a PM but it was blocked. I see that your son is still using your Z10 for stuff and you were thinking of getting a new battery.

I have a few old Z10 stock batteries and a Mugen extended battery with backplate that I'd be happy to send you for the cost of shipping if you want it.
    06-29-19 12:40 PM
    Hey givechance,

I plan to keep using my BB10 devices well into the future. Vague portents of doom from many on CB notwithstanding, everything other than Blackberry World should keep working normally with no trouble well into 2020 and beyond.

The stock native apps are helpful, but some of the native apps that have been released (such as bPod) help make BB10 serve many of the functions people need.

If your friend's willing to give you your PB back I'd say grab it...or better yet your friend can get one secondhand off eBay and then you'll both have one.
    Hey TT and Jason,

For the record I'm still the Android/iOS dual carry user for personal and business purposes. However, like conite, I've got BB10 hardware too.

Main difference is that mine hasn't been fired up recently. Last verified logon for my Z3 and Q5 are both 06/21/2018 and my other hardware probably 12-36 months longer or more since I only moved forward.

Anyway, over the next few days, I hope to be up to late as much as possible from a BB10 perspective.

Just thought you'd enjoy.
    @givechanceachance @TrumpetTiger
    06-29-19 03:54 PM
    Hey TT and Jason,

For the record I'm still the Android/iOS dual carry user for personal and business purposes. However, like conite, I've got BB10 hardware too.

Main difference is that mine hasn't been fired up recently. Last verified logon for my Z3 and Q5 are both 06/21/2018 and my other hardware probably 12-36 months longer or more since I only moved forward.

Anyway, over the next few days, I hope to be up to late as much as possible from a BB10 perspective.

Just thought you'd enjoy.
    @givechanceachance @TrumpetTiger
    Chuck...am I given to understand that you are firing up the Z3 and Q5 and such again?!!
    07-01-19 05:13 AM
    Chuck...am I given to understand that you are firing up the Z3 and Q5 and such again?!!
    Yes both on wifi only...

Posted via CB10
    07-01-19 05:54 PM
    Yes both on wifi only...

Posted via CB10
    *sits down hard in front of the Tigercomputer*

Chuckford, it takes a lot to surprise me, but you have done it. We will entice you back to the Mobile Justice League yet...
    07-01-19 05:59 PM
    *sits down hard in front of the Tigercomputer*

Chuckford, it takes a lot to surprise me, but you have done it. We will entice you back to the Mobile Justice League yet...
    I'm back on WiFi after having to go and earn a living today. I've been using the Z3 mostly for the size but I forgot to plug in when I left this morning so now it's charging while I use the Q5 instead. The size of the PKB and the screen are both painful to use.

I love CB10 for some of the app features. I like using CB on browser version on my XR and KEYones because I can see private messages. I don't see PMs on CB10 official app nor CBAndroid official app but with Android/iOS there's CB Forums and Tapatalk if truly wanting.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-19 07:13 PM
    I've been using the Z3 mostly for the size but I forgot to plug in when I left this morning so now it's charging while I use the Q5 instead. The size of the PKB and the screen are both painful to use.
    Sell 'em while they're still worth something imo
    07-02-19 08:22 PM
    I love CB10 for some of the app features
    So do I. I find the CB10 app far nicer to use than the CB android app or even Tapatalk. The only downside to CB10 is the fact that you cannot upload pics or media. That can be a deal breaker for those who love memes etc but it's not a deal breaker for me.
    07-02-19 09:38 PM
    So do I. I find the CB10 app far nicer to use than the CB android app or even Tapatalk. The only downside to CB10 is the fact that you cannot upload pics or media. That can be a deal breaker for those who love memes etc but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Not to mention no dark theme on CB10
    07-02-19 09:48 PM
    Yes there is.
    07-02-19 10:10 PM

Yes there is.

Yep, right here... CB10 on a Z10...

Post  Apocalypto OS10....What are you doing with it?-img_20190702_221132.png

Now, about posting images in the app, that did give me problems - getting a "server error" trying to pick an image to post. But it used to work. That's why I had to post this from my desktop.
    brookie229 likes this.
    07-02-19 10:32 PM
    Now, about posting images in the app, that did give me problems - getting a "server error" trying to pick an image to post. But it used to work. That's why I had to post this from my desktop.
    I never use the "dark" mode and the reason is because it does NOT show the highlighted unread posts under "Participated". This is, imo, one of the absolute best features of CB10.
    07-02-19 10:42 PM
    I never use the "dark" mode and the reason is because it does NOT show the highlighted unread posts under "Participated". This is, imo, one of the absolute best features of CB10.
    Hmm. Mine does. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    07-02-19 10:48 PM
173 1234 ...