How are you making good use of your BB10 device other than using it as a doorstop/paper weight?

Will the stock apps be enough to make it something like an over glamours alarm clock and secure storage device? What else?

I gave my PlayBook to a friend, though I kinda want it back.
    06-19-19 04:55 AM
    How are you making good use of your BB10 device other than using it as a doorstop/paper weight?

Will the stock apps be enough to make it something like an over glamours alarm clock and secure storage device? What else?

If it works for you today, I don't see why that would change on Jan 1st.
    06-19-19 04:58 AM
    If it works for you today, I don't see why that would change on Jan 1st.
    I'm just curious, if I should get one as their prices drop...use to have the Passport and I just might get one, again. Either that or the Classic.
    06-19-19 05:42 AM
    I'm just curious, if I should get one as their prices drop...use to have the Passport and I just might get one, again. Either that or the Classic.
    If you plan to use it for 90% email and sms, then go for it.
    06-19-19 05:43 AM
    If you plan to use it for 90% email and sms, then go for it.
    And a drawing app that only exists on BB10. I searched endlessly on Playstore and nothing like it. There is a version on PlayBook however can not save my art other than screenshot.
    06-19-19 05:49 AM

I still use my PlayBook from time to time... mostly as a video player for the grandkids. It did have a few kids apps, but they are into more modern apps than the PlayBook supports.

I got it just as two new grandbabies came along... used it to record a number of video that are treasures. Never understood how the camera was so bad, but the video recording were so good on it... as was the sound recording and playback.

Z10's a paper weight... I could go out of my way to use it for something, but my current devices already fill any roll I can think of. I kept it just in case... but Verizon seems to no longer allow activation of BB10 devices.
    06-19-19 08:14 AM
    Never understood how the camera was so bad
    Cameras way back then weren't all that great on many devices lol.
    06-19-19 08:17 AM
    And a drawing app that only exists on BB10. I searched endlessly on Playstore and nothing like it. There is a version on PlayBook however can not save my art other than screenshot.
    Which drawings app are you referring? I'll have to download.
    givechanceachance likes this.
    06-19-19 08:28 AM
    Harmony (PlayBook):
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=US

Harmony Sketch (BB10):

I'm inclined to abstract art, as a method of therapy and Harmony does it best.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    06-19-19 08:45 AM

As I use my device(s) for email, sms, bbm, and phone, BB10 is more then sufficient for my needs. Use it daily.

When the day comes that none of the devices work or I can not repair, I will be at a loss as there are no devices that replace the Q/PD9983.
    06-19-19 09:19 AM
    My Z10 is already out of regular service. Used only with Wi-Fi, and mostly by my 10 year old. He likes to make videos, and use the Story Maker app. He started doing that two years ago, and is really good with it.

Now he copies those videos to his computer and does more with them there.

After turning cellular off, my battery life jumped to almost 3 days on a charge. But that's with no other use. Just sitting there on my desk, syncing only one exchange account - my outlook.com account.

Once my son started playing with it again after several months of not touching it, battery life took a huge hit. He would record several minutes of video, then play it back, and the phone would just pop up a message "shutting down". I'd check the battery in the Device manager and see a sudden drop to about 50% then the shutoff. Checking its status in the BBVE, and battery health is a red dot.

I kind of knew that. The battery is the original that came with the phone when I got it in August of 2013.

Before I retired the thing in September of 2017, using it full time only got me about 5-7 hours of use before I'd have to recharge it.

My son still has fun with the thing, so I am considering getting a new battery for it. Knowing it won't really be "new" as they've all been sitting in warehouses for years now. Still, it should work well enough for what my son is doing with it and should stay on for more than 10 minutes at a time.
    Old_Mil likes this.
    06-19-19 10:10 AM
    Harmony (PlayBook):

Harmony Sketch (BB10):

I'm inclined to abstract art, as a method of therapy and Harmony does it best.
    If you even do have to upgrade, might look at a Surface Device.... with the pen and the number of drawing applications, I imagine you could find a replacement.

My grandkids steal mine over their iPads all the time... just basic OneNote was a good enough drawing tool for them. But I download a free app Krita and while it's complicated... they are getting the hang of it (more than I know what to do).

The PEN is what makes all the difference...
    06-19-19 10:15 AM
    Knowing it won't really be "new" as they've all been sitting in warehouses for years now
    Not necessarily the case. Chinese factories are still churning these old device batteries out. Pick up a cheap one for around 7-10 dollars on E-Bay. You will be pleasantly surprised.
    06-19-19 10:19 AM
    Good to know. I've seen them, just didn't trust if they were really new or not.
    06-19-19 10:25 AM
    I still use my PlayBook from time to time... mostly as a video player for the grandkids. It did have a few kids apps, but they are into more modern apps than the PlayBook supports.

I got it just as two new grandbabies came along... used it to record a number of video that are treasures. Never understood how the camera was so bad, but the video recording were so good on it... as was the sound recording and playback.

Z10's a paper weight... I could go out of my way to use it for something, but my current devices already fill any roll I can think of. I kept it just in case... but Verizon seems to no longer allow activation of BB10 devices.
    They won't even if previously activated?
    06-19-19 10:28 AM
    I suppose the rare ones like red Passport and blue Classic will keep their value as collectors devices.

The rest, they'll probably fall to a really low value and remain there (not like they're worth much anyway)
    06-19-19 10:36 AM
    When I get paid early next month, going to pick this up if still found around this price range:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...4AAOSwQJhUkZTL

Passport will just be a voice and sms/mms phone with my main phone still being the KeyOne. No data hungry apps will be installed on the Passport. Just stock apps and Harmony.

I sold my Passport last year for just $80 needed the cash to get a bicycle.
    06-19-19 12:31 PM
    Still my daily driver. I'm waiting for the Librem 5 to become available. Looks like the kind of device I want to replace my...

 AT&T Passport SQW100-3 with vitamin (SR) 10.3.3.2129 (OS version 10.3.3.3204) on AT&T
    06-19-19 12:44 PM
    Still my daily driver. I'm waiting for the Librem 5 to become available. Looks like the kind of device I want to replace my...

 AT&T Passport SQW100-3 with vitamin (SR) 10.3.3.2129 (OS version 10.3.3.3204) on AT&T
    I like everything about the Librem 5; though I'm inclined to wait for the market to produce open source hardware with a qwerty physical keyboard.

So far the NEC Terrian outside of BB is the only feasible alternative...although its stuck in Android 4.x.

I need Android 5.x at least to load my flavor of Linux (Debian) on it, using Termux.
    Last edited by givechanceachance; 06-19-19 at 12:59 PM. Reason: termux
    06-19-19 12:59 PM
    They won't even if previously activated?
    I haven't tired... seen varying results if you have to get a new SIM.
    06-19-19 01:57 PM
    I like everything about the Librem 5; though I'm inclined to wait for the market to produce open source hardware with a qwerty physical keyboard.

So far the NEC Terrian outside of BB is the only feasible alternative...although its stuck in Android 4.x.

I need Android 5.x at least to load my flavor of Linux (Debian) on it, using Termux.
    Crowd funding I think is your best bet...
    06-19-19 01:58 PM
    I haven't tired... seen varying results if you have to get a new SIM.
    Yeah that would be my case, different SIM size now.
    06-19-19 02:06 PM
    Yeah that would be my case, different SIM size now.
    My Z10 had HD Voice... we won't know till CDMA goes dead, but I don't know of any reason that the Q10 and Z10 would not work with Verizon's VoLTE. But maybe Verizon does....

Maybe BB10 has VoLTE standard 4.3 and Verizon is only planning to support VoLTE standards 4.4 and above going forward.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 06-19-19 at 03:12 PM.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    06-19-19 02:46 PM
    When I get paid early next month, going to pick this up if still found around this price range:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...4AAOSwQJhUkZTL

Passport will just be a voice and sms/mms phone with my main phone still being the KeyOne. No data hungry apps will be installed on the Passport. Just stock apps and Harmony.

I sold my Passport last year for just $80 needed the cash to get a bicycle.
    I wouldn't pay even close to $160 for a Passport in mid 2019.

Try to find one for under $90 if that's what you really want, but there are even used silver KEYone's that can be found at that price range
    06-19-19 03:04 PM
    My passport is great for podcasts and old TV shows or old Hollywood movies in the classic 4:3 format from back then. It is also great for music, and e-reading, and my email. None of that changes in 2020, so I'll keep using my passport. I don't browse on it; I have a desktop or an ipad for that, and no phone, not even the best flagship one, will equal an old ipad or cheap desktop for browsing.
    06-19-19 08:08 PM
173 123 ...