Hi all,

If you are annoyed with Contacts always creating a local copy of any new contact you make on your BlackBerry 10 smartphone, (yes it does this even if you navigate to one account and hit "add" from there,) I may have stumbled onto a temporary fix.

Instead of having to laboriously unlink it then delete it, simply create your new contact, then do the following:

Swipe down from home screen > settings > accounts > overflow button > clear local contacts.

That ought to do it, eh?

Warning: Only do this if you don't store any local contacts intentionally, and you are therefore using ActiveSync or CardDAV with an IMAP account for contacts.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-30-13 11:08 AM
    Yup, that should certainly do it as a work around..

I'm curious why it's important to you that the local copy be obliterated though.. I agree it's not needed.. but I don't see what problem it causes being there and linked to the synced contact.. it doesn't show up as a duplicated or have any adverse affect in my experience..
    08-30-13 12:21 PM
    Much gooder. I hated having the linked contact because then it showed all of their info duplicated. When I open contacts, I dont want to see multiple listings for the same person, and when I open a contact I dont want to 2 multiple entries for the same information.
    08-30-13 12:51 PM
    Much gooder. I hated having the linked contact because then it showed all of their info duplicated. When I open contacts, I dont want to see multiple listings for the same person, and when I open a contact I dont want to 2 multiple entries for the same information.
    Having a linked contact should merge the data.. you shouldn't see multiple listings, or multiple entries for the same information.. I don't anyway.. If they weren't linked what you describe would be the case, but not if they're linked.
    08-30-13 12:57 PM
    Yup, that should certainly do it as a work around..

I'm curious why it's important to you that the local copy be obliterated though.. I agree it's not needed.. but I don't see what problem it causes being there and linked to the synced contact.. it doesn't show up as a duplicated or have any adverse affect in my experience..
    Because I have clinical OCD. Is that a problem?

I want my contacts list clean and I don't want certain contacts to have a local copy and others that don't. No logical reason for that.

08-30-13 01:06 PM
    When you open a linked contact, you dont see all of their info duplicate, triplicated, etc depending on how many copies you have linked together?
    08-30-13 01:13 PM
    Is that a problem?
    No, it's not. Why is my asking why a problem?
    08-30-13 01:14 PM
    When you open a linked contact, you dont see all of their info duplicate, triplicated, etc depending on how many copies you have linked together?
    No

Just created this test contact.. gave it a phone number. You can see at the bottom it's linked. One on my email one local, both have identical information. Phone number only shows up once. Well once for call and once for text, but that's a diffrent conversation.
    Attachment 197152
    08-30-13 01:14 PM
    Doesn't work for me. I've cleared local contacts half dozen times and I go back to my contacts and hit links and they're still linked to 'local contact'. Hmm.

Tapped out on Halle (Black)Berry aka Z10 running 10.2.0.1371
    08-30-13 04:33 PM
    Looks like it needs to be unlinked.

Another problem seems to be after an account is unlinked, I cannot find a way to link it back. The "add link" function seems to link to a contact rather than an account.

Z10 STL100-3 10.2.0.1047 on Rogers
    08-30-13 05:19 PM
    It worked for me...odd.

No unlinking. I just cleared it, hit OK to "are you sure" and voila, the few contacts I added on the device rather than on Gmail webmail were now just a Gmail contact with no stupid local link.

08-30-13 08:41 PM
    No, it's not. Why is my asking why a problem?
    I just get frankly a bit irritated with "xyz issue that you are offering a workaround for doesn't matter to me" comments in threads like this.

If the issue doesn't bother you, don't read the thread as you don't need a workaround then, right? People that DO care, such as myself, like the information, and shouldn't be subjected to having to read or even glance over others' effluvial writing about how the issue isn't a big deal to them anyway.

08-30-13 08:47 PM
    I just get frankly a bit irritated with "xyz issue that you are offering a workaround for doesn't matter to me" comments in threads like this.

If the issue doesn't bother you, don't read the thread as you don't need a workaround then, right? People that DO care, such as myself, like the information, and shouldn't be subjected to having to read or even glance over others' effluvial writing about how the issue isn't a big deal to them anyway.

lol. I'm so sorry that I was interested in your point of view and why this issue matered to you. My bad...

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 09:07 PM
    I'm having contacts app problem since the beginning i owned z10.
    I wasted 2 days of my whole life just to unlink and clean my contacts (hundreds of it).

Now i giving up. My contact is clustered, duplicated and messy.
    Its also messed up my google contact and not synching.

Contact in phone apps and contacts apps is not synchronize either. Missing here and there.

I just hope that they fix it on 10.2 update.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 09:22 PM
    lol. I'm so sorry that I was interested in your point of view and why this issue matered to you. My bad...

Posted via CB10
    Because it is an issue. BlackBerry can't afford to have these issues. They need near flawlessness right now.

Oh, and I find it annoying.

08-30-13 11:43 PM
    Fyi for all. I finally deleted local contacts somehow after it not working initially. In doing so, my whatsapp messed up and all contacts became phone numbers. Now, reloaded contacts and re linked locals and whatsapp back. Just don't want anyone else to go through that.

Tapped out on Halle (Black)Berry aka Z10 running 10.2.0.1371
    08-30-13 11:49 PM
    I just updgrade my OS to 10.1 MR and it's fix some Contacts apps problem.

Contacts on phone now sync with contacts apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 02:33 AM
    Old thread but another annoying issue I have been having. My contacts sync with Google Caldav. When I add a new contact on my z10 and save. It will create a local contact and automatically link it to some completely random person. So i have to go through the 'clear local contacts' after every new contact that I add. Any one else have this issue?
    12-21-13 12:01 PM