Guys please correct me if I'm wrong:

1. I understand that diff between bar and apk is just the packaging and is not code dependant.

2. If initial point is correct is it possible to repackage a native app as an apk rather than bar?

3. Finally in 10.2.1 we can install apks so...

In summary can snap or droid apps or etc write in caskades but package as apk?

Comments plz

Q10 driven by 10.2.1.1055
    11-24-13 01:53 AM
    A bar wraps an apk. What your asking is whether we can turn the wrapper into the thing it wraps and the answer is not anymore easily than you can turn a snickers wrapper into a snickers bar

Posted via CB10
    araskin and MobileMadness002 like this.
    11-24-13 04:03 AM
    A bar wraps an apk. What your asking is whether we can turn the wrapper into the thing it wraps and the answer is not anymore easily than you can turn a snickers wrapper into a snickers bar

Posted via CB10
    I want a Clark Bar...lol...old line from the 70's...ha ha

Trusted Member Genius
    11-24-13 04:53 AM
    I think rather than trying to repackage a bar file as an apk, has any of the developers thought of creating a secondary BlackBerry market where apps that have not gone through BlackBerry vetting to publish on BlackBerry world can be hosted so users can install them OTA?

Just like the Samsung, amazon, 1market etc exists as secondary apps market for android. I think it's time to have a parallel BlackBerry appstore for BlackBerry 10 apps

Posted via CB10
    JJStripes likes this.
    11-24-13 05:51 AM
    I think rather than trying to repackage a bar file as an apk, has any of the developers thought of creating a secondary BlackBerry market where apps that have not gone through BlackBerry vetting to publish on BlackBerry world can be hosted so users can install them OTA?

Just like the Samsung, amazon, 1market etc exists as secondary apps market for android. I think it's time to have a parallel BlackBerry appstore for BlackBerry 10 apps

Posted via CB10
    To what end?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 06:35 AM
    They don't want to
    The whole purpose of Snap and Droid Store is to have a native app store and turning them into apk's means no more cascades. Cascades is a BB10 thing (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 06:43 AM
    So no way to write in caskades and wrap up as apk so we can install directly?

Q10 driven by 10.2.1.1055
    11-24-13 04:42 PM
    Not that I know off

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 06:18 PM
    To what end?

Posted via CB10
    I think that would serve the very worthwhile purpose of making it easier for the average consumer to install android apps. It would standardize the process, and make it more normal. Perhaps cell phone sales people would tell potential customers about the other app store rather than telling them BB doesn't have very many apps.
    walcolm likes this.
    11-24-13 08:49 PM
    I think that would serve the very worthwhile purpose of making it easier for the average consumer to install android apps. It would standardize the process, and make it more normal. Perhaps cell phone sales people would tell potential customers about the other app store rather than telling them BB doesn't have very many apps.
    Under this system who takes responsibility when BlackBerry users get Malware from these other stores because they aren't scanned the way BlackBerry World is?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 09:57 PM
    Under this system who takes responsibility when BlackBerry users get Malware from these other stores because they aren't scanned the way BlackBerry World is?

Posted via CB10
    I think it makes sense that the customer would be installing apps from this non-BlackBerry endorsed app store at their own risk. That being said, I don't see malware being a problem because whoever operates this app store would only be putting in reputable apps.
    walcolm likes this.
    11-24-13 10:04 PM
    the dorid store in the thrad said the dev will make the bar install ota,interesting

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 10:09 PM