Hey CB,

My BlackBerry Passport seems to have a focus issue. It begins to focus and gets very clear, but then switches at the last second before it saves the photo and it seems that it's doubling the picture except off by about a mm to the right.

I've tried autoloading, not restoring profiles, everything I can think of!

Any ideas or anyone know if it's possible to manually focus the picture?

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    05-31-15 12:03 PM
    I can only think of tapping the screen where you want the camera to focus, but I'm sure you knew that.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 01:54 PM
    Hey CB,

My BlackBerry Passport seems to have a focus issue. It begins to focus and gets very clear, but then switches at the last second before it saves the photo and it seems that it's doubling the picture except off by about a mm to the right.

I've tried autoloading, not restoring profiles, everything I can think of!

Any ideas or anyone know if it's possible to manually focus the picture?

You can try moving the image a little further away from the lens. Sometimes too much light or too little contrast between what you're trying to focus and the background can also make it harder to autofocus. For even more control, I've been hearing people talking about the Camera ++ app. You can also turn off face detection.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 02:10 PM
    I can only think of tapping the screen where you want the camera to focus, but I'm sure you knew that.

Posted via CB10
    Yupp, tried tap-to-focus and that just makes it work really well until it decides it's focused, at which point it doubles up again...

You can try moving the image a little further away from the lens. Sometimes too much light or too little contrast between what you're trying to focus and the background can also make it harder to autofocus. For even more control, I've been hearing people talking about the Camera ++ app. You can also turn off face detection.

Posted via CB10
    If it's < 3 feet, it focuses okay. After about 4 feet away it starts to do the doubling thing...

I may download it that to give it a shot, but I don't really want to pay the money unless I know it'll work! :s

Face detection wasn't even on, but tried turning it on now and it's the exact same issue...

05-31-15 04:05 PM
    Try holding the on-screen shutter button until you're happy with the focus. Then release it to take the photo. Lawguyman found that trick earlier. It works on all devices. Works really, really well. Great for action shots too.

BTW, Camera++ has a manual focus mode. You can also adjust ISO settings.

Q5SQR100-1/10.3.2.680
    05-31-15 04:21 PM
    Try holding the on-screen shutter button until you're happy with the focus. Then release it to take the photo. Lawguyman found that trick earlier. It works on all devices. Works really, really well. Great for action shots too.

BTW, Camera++ has a manual focus mode. You can also adjust ISO settings.

Q5SQR100-1/10.3.2.680
    When you say shutter button, you mean the "tap-anywhere-to-focus" or the actual take picture button?

Either way, they both "auto-focus" and get really clear but then switch to the doubled vision, even when I let go a little early...

I'll definitely pick up Camera++, however now I'm curious if I can get the normal camera to at least partially work via this :/

06-01-15 07:19 AM
    When you say shutter button, you mean the "tap-anywhere-to-focus" or the actual take picture button?

Either way, they both "auto-focus" and get really clear but then switch to the doubled vision, even when I let go a little early...

I'll definitely pick up Camera++, however now I'm curious if I can get the normal camera to at least partially work via this :/

The picture is actually taken when the shutter button is released - not when it is pressed. Just hold it down. It will continuously focus.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-01-15 07:25 AM
    The picture is actually taken when the shutter button is released - not when it is pressed. Just hold it down. It will continuously focus.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    For me it stops focusing after about 2 seconds of holding :\

06-01-15 08:28 AM
    You guys are not going to believe this one.

So I bit the bullet and went ahead and got Camera++.

I fiddled with the settings, set it to just about every focus mode, kept tapping to see if it'd fix it and nada. Set the ISO to 500, 700, 1100, 3100, and a bunch others. None of those helped anything, so I set it to Auto.

I finally figured out how to get back to the camera picture taking part, so I tried taking a Photo. Whatcha know, it starts autofocusing properly, including my actual phone's built-in camera.

I'm 99% sure that somehow my phone got set to ISO 200 (I'm 99% sure because I think that's what the setting was when I started Camera++) and it wasn't changing it back. This could be a wild theory and I've got no idea why my normal camera works now then, but it seems to me that this was the case.

Absolutely no idea how, but I'm so glad it works again! Either way I'll probably use Camera++ a bunch in the future since I do actually need some of those settings every now and then, so not a complete waste at all!

I'll keep this updated if there are any changes or if it comes back in the future!

Edit:

Okay so it seems it occasionally returns and has issues. The trick seems to be to switch the focus from C-Auto to Auto, or vice versa and then I'm able to use the normal camera app for a while until it forgets it seems.. it's workable, I can live with this :P

Last edited by D3C0D3R; 06-02-15 at 02:03 AM.
    chgaida likes this.
    06-01-15 03:41 PM