Just a thought, im not sure if anyone considered the idea already.

I know we have the bb10 already available for a long time, but why not do an alternative ui base on Old blackberry os 7 UI. But under it is the bb10os. In that way we get both the best of both old familiar ui (which work and not bad at all) plus the flexibility of new os that can be installed with advance apps.

I think implementing this ui is easy because they will just copy the ui and ui functions, no need to re study since its a tested ui, they just need to implement with no worries if the ui will be acceptable and correct

Since blackberry identity is really from the old os ui. It is what blackberry is. It works why change it. I think only reason why berry users switched to other platforms is because old os cannot handle heavy apps and games (which i dont really install and use)

I used android, ios, windows, and the bb10 ( which is great), i can say that the old bb ui is still not so old and actually much advance when it comes to tweaks etc. Lets just say that old ui was implemented on facts not just on coolness.

Why not blackberry skin with two os in one. This is also what windows 8 laptops are doing, you have an option for both old ui and new ui.

Just my thoughts. Im not really saying im right.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 04:23 AM
    Nice idea...won't work though...BB10 is as different as XP and Windows 8.1... Gasoline motors won't run on steam...different principles....2 Stroke gas motors and 4 Strokers both run on gas but if you pull the valves out of the 4 strokers they don't run...The 2 strokes will...they don't have valves to start with...anyway...the two os's have very different code...

Trusted Member Genius
    04-09-14 04:36 AM
    No, it's not possible. Completely different coding formats.
    04-09-14 04:36 AM
    OS 7.1 UI is ugly I feel. BlackBerry 10 all the way. Yes yes, OS7 is outselling BlackBerry 10, but still prefer BlackBerry 10 any day.

Posted via CB10
    amjass12 likes this.
    04-09-14 04:47 AM
    The idea of 'if it ain't broke' is what helped to get BlackBerry to their current state. BBOS had its time. I don't hear Nokia fans asking for Symbian to be integrated into Windows Phone 8, why are BlackBerry fans so resistant to change?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 04:53 AM
    The idea of 'if it ain't broke' is what helped to get BlackBerry to their current state. BBOS had its time. I don't hear Nokia fans asking for Symbian to be integrated into Windows Phone 8, why are BlackBerry fans so resistant to change?

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't have said it better myself..

Posted via CB10
    Barracuda7772 likes this.
    04-09-14 05:26 AM
    I think most are missing the point of the OP.

It's only about the "graphical user interface". And to a degree, I agree.

The main face of BBOS is not all that different than most mobile OSs. Look at the app grid in BBOS 7.x and going back to its earliest incarnation (I've only had a BB going back to 4.2 on the 8100 - which later got 4.5). You have the basic network/phone status and time bar at the top, then the notification bar, then a list of apps in a grid. How notifications are displayed is the only real difference between the major mobile OSs out there. And, the notification bar is now gone in BB10.

While I like BB10 as a whole, I thought they coped out when it comes to the app grid - mimicking the affect of both iOS and Android by having panels/pages of apps where you swipe side to side to get to each page. The one thing I miss about the legacy OS was the up and down scrolling of the app grid that was solely a BlackBerry thing. The panel mimicking actually started with BBOS 6. That's when they introduced the side to side "downloaded", "frequently used" and "favorites" panels. I hated them and wished they could be customized with option to just turn them off. I wasn't the only one. RIM (as they were still known as at the time) actually listened for a change, and made the panels optional. Problem was, you had to get an OS 7 phone to have that option. They never added it to OS 6, and no OS 6 phone could update to OS 7

What's wrong with bringing that back. This is not at all a function of Java based BBOS vs. QNX based BB10. It's simply a UI design choice that could be changed or modified regardless of the underlying OS kernel.

If nothing else, I'd prefer the scrolling app grid that doesn't look like an iOS/Android copy. Still have folders for organizing the apps, but no more main app pages/panels

Oh, and bring back an actionable homescreen - similar to the lock screen, but one where apps can populate it with info like the weather, stock or news ticker, whatever... and keep the notification column that could overwrite whatever other info may be displaying with the preview fly-out until you're done and the info comes back. It can be it's own panel between the scrolling app grid and active frame page or Hub (if there are no current active frames).

I'd still like to see the notification bar come back, that way it's on the screen without having to do an extra step of a peak first. Going to the Hub is fine as-is.

Again, all this can be designed into the UI, which has nothing to do with the OS. It's just a "look". Still have the major aspects of BB10, but tweak the UI to include what I think were the best aspects of the legacy OS.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by joeldf; 04-09-14 at 09:44 AM.
    ZayDub likes this.
    04-09-14 09:29 AM
    If nothing else, I'd prefer the scrolling app grid that doesn't look like an iOS/Android copy. Still have folders for organizing the apps, but no more main app pages/panels

Oh, and bring back an actionable homescreen - similar to the lock screen, but one where apps can populate it with info like the weather, stock or news ticker, whatever... and keep the notification column that could overwrite whatever other info may be displaying with the preview fly-out until you're done and the info comes back. It can be it's own panel between the scrolling app grid and active frame page or Hub (if there are no current active frames).

I'd still like to see the notification bar come back, that way it's on the screen without having to do an extra step of a peak first. Going to the Hub is fine as-is.
    These are exactly what I miss from the OS6/7.

One more to add to that list: automatically turn on screen when a new text/bbm arrives while the phone is not locked/in the holster.
    04-09-14 10:13 AM
    How about custom profiles....i miss that one the most...led's and sounds...

Trusted Member Genius
    04-12-14 04:39 AM
    No, it's not possible. Completely different coding formats.
    I thought the whole point of moving to BB10 was so that nothing would be impossible.
    04-12-14 09:08 PM
    Yeah! My request answered. Blackberry now trying to bring back some of the features from legacy to 10.3.1 update! Yey!!! :-) its the legacy ui & features what really loyal bb users are looking for.

I bet in the future 10.4 os built they will revive more features and ui from the old ui. I mean getting idea from the old ui and adapting it to the new bb10 os in bb10 os style.

Also now at 10.3 emails much easy to delete! I hope they also bring all small tweaks of the legacy to the bb10 os. Although small feature i hope they find a way to show the DATE on the screen like the legacy os does..

Can't wait to get the Passport when it launches in my country.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    10-03-14 05:55 PM
    The code is different as many have said but an alternative would be to just add a skin which brings back the old ui. Maybe for classic only + hub. Either way BB can't waste resources on this now, but they can open APIs to allow themes. Then 3rd party devs can do this attract more attention get themselves paid and so on. Never understood why BB said no themes.
    10-04-14 02:19 AM
    Coding are different but why not make a UI change? That would be cool. Just like Android uses Launchers to change their UI, maybe BlackBerry can do something like that and make BlackBerry able to use launcher or at least like back in the days with "themes" options and extra are always welcome for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 08:10 AM
    bbos ui was to me basically multiple folders with apps. with os 7 you could swipe from side to side. unique but nothing fancy. bb10 does have some influence from other os's but its just different enough to set itself apart especially relying mostly on gesture control navigation.
    10-05-14 10:51 PM