format a BB10 deice?
    I have a persistent issue with the battery indicator and wiping the device and reinstalling OS will not fix.
    So, I wonder if there is a way to format and reinstall OS?
    Thanks.
    03-27-16 06:59 PM
    What do you think wiping the device is?

It will format, and clean itself, before putting a fresh copy of the OS on itself. (don't make this step pointless by trying to put a backup on)
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-27-16 07:22 PM
    I think wiping removes all personal files and information
    03-27-16 07:25 PM
    I think wiping removes all personal files and information
    Wiping... formatting..

Tomato.... tometo..

They are one and the same!

Posted via CB10 on my ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    jlc0312 likes this.
    03-27-16 07:35 PM
    thanks
    03-27-16 07:44 PM
    I don't know how you can consider wiping the same as formatting since wiping leaves most of the file system intact with the OS and applications.

The closest thing to a format a user can do is install an autoloader.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    03-28-16 07:34 AM
    Wipe, install an autoloader and DON'T do a backup. Start fresh which is a pain but at this point probably your best bet.

Sent from my battered and bruised but still kicking (just barely) Z30.
    03-28-16 09:00 AM
    I don't know how you can consider wiping the same as formatting since wiping leaves most of the file system intact with the OS and applications.

The closest thing to a format a user can do is install an autoloader.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Agreed.

Wiping doesn't format anything. It just deletes user files, added apps (BBW apps and android apps), and resets the OS to default first-time startup settings. A wipe can be done without the phone being connected to anything, that's why the OS is still in place.

Wipe, install an autoloader and DON'T do a backup. Start fresh which is a pain but at this point probably your best bet.

Sent from my battered and bruised but still kicking (just barely) Z30.
    If you run an autoloader, wiping really isn't necessary. The autoloader does the formatting as part of the process as it recreates the entire OS and User partitions. Something a wipe doesn't do.
    03-28-16 09:25 AM
    Agreed.

If you run an autoloader, wiping really isn't necessary. The autoloader does the formatting as part of the process as it recreates the entire OS and User partitions. Something a wipe doesn't do.
    In this specific case I would agree. In general though a there are cases when you would want to do both. If you are selling, or passing the phone on to another for example. Installing an autoloader will usually do a better job of cleaning up the memory organisation than a nondestructive upgrade. When there is no reason to keep data added during the use of the phone installing an autoloader is a quick and painless way to do a factory reset.

A security wipe does two things. As the name implies it securely wipes data not associated with the OS, or which is also associated with the user so that it can't be recovered. It also does this with free space. For security purposes this makes sure that residual data in free memory can't be recovered. But it also will bring any marginal segments of memory to the attention of the controller which can accommodate them to the defects list resulting in better performance if any areas of flash memory are getting weak.

If you are going for do both, do the autoloader first. The security wipe will complete faster because it only has to deal with free memory on a nicely organised memory.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    03-28-16 10:21 AM
    In this specific case I would agree. In general though a there are cases when you would want to do both. If you are selling, or passing the phone on to another for example. Installing an autoloader will usually do a better job of cleaning up the memory organisation than a nondestructive upgrade. When there is no reason to keep data added during the use of the phone installing an autoloader is a quick and painless way to do a factory reset.

A security wipe does two things. As the name implies it securely wipes data not associated with the OS, or which is also associated with the user so that it can't be recovered. It also does this with free space. For security purposes this makes sure that residual data in free memory can't be recovered. But it also will bring any marginal segments of memory to the attention of the controller which can accommodate them to the defects list resulting in better performance if any areas of flash memory are getting weak.

If you are going for do both, do the autoloader first. The security wipe will complete faster because it only has to deal with free memory on a nicely organised memory.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Security wipe took me 3 long days!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 11:28 AM
    Security wipe took me 3 long days!

Posted via CB10
    Some people have had wipes take longer. The only reason to do a security wipe is for security reasons. When I wiped my Z10LE that I had since launch it took 45 minutes. It all depends on what it has to do. If you do an autoloader first it always takes less time and you get the same result.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    03-28-16 01:44 PM
    The last time I did a security wipe on my Z10 it took just over an hour. That was back in the early 10.2 days. I'd be too scared to do one today.

The next time I try, it will be when I sell the thing.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 04:25 PM
    Uhh can't you just use the SIC multiwipe tool to completely wipe. You'll be forced to use an autoloader after that or reload through Link, the device will no longer boot.

Remember Disable BlackBerry Protect before you wipe a 10.3.1+ OS!

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    03-28-16 04:30 PM
    How do u do a security wipe? And then reinstall the os with all apps. I assume the os and apps are completely deleted. I own a passport bought frm BlackBerry so there were 20 or so pre-installed apps. I'm looking to completely obliterate the os and existing apps and then reinstall

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 12:04 AM
    How do u do a security wipe? And then reinstall the os with all apps. I assume the os and apps are completely deleted. I own a passport bought frm BlackBerry so there were 20 or so pre-installed apps. I'm looking to completely obliterate the os and existing apps and then reinstall

Posted via CB10
    A security wipe does not remove the OS or pre-installed applications.

What you want to do is install an autoloader. That will do what you ask. You may do a security wipe before, or after the autoloader, but it isn't really necessary. If you are going to wipe it, I would suggest doing so after the autoloader.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    georgeeipi likes this.
    03-29-16 07:59 AM
    A security wipe does not remove the OS or pre-installed applications.

What you want to do is install an autoloader. That will do what you ask. You may do a security wipe before, or after the autoloader, but it isn't really necessary. If you are going to wipe it, I would suggest doing so after the autoloader.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    But the autoloader is still going to contain the pre-installed apps Facebook, Twitter, Evernote, Linkedin etc etc UNLESS you customize your autoloader manually yourself before you run it. I agree that the security wipe is totally unnecessary.
    03-29-16 10:02 AM
    But the autoloader is still going to contain the pre-installed apps Facebook, Twitter, Evernote, Linkedin etc etc UNLESS you customize your autoloader manually yourself before you run it. I agree that the security wipe is totally unnecessary.
    Please read the question I was answering before contradicting my answer:
    How do u do a security wipe? And then reinstall the os with all apps.
    LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    03-29-16 11:06 AM
    Sorry if I offended and I completely glossed over the first 2 sentences in his question. I narrowed it down to: "I own a passport bought frm BlackBerry so there were 20 or so pre-installed apps. I'm looking to completely obliterate the os and existing apps and then reinstall". Then I saw your reply saying "that will do what you ask" and made the mistake. My apologies.
    03-29-16 11:28 AM
    Is an autoloader sanctioned by the powers to be at blackberry. Or is it an app or program developed by users. If I use has there been a history of not being successful and then the phone being unusable. Where do u get the Downloader?. Last. On my laptop I periodically reinstall windows just to have the computer fresh of stuff accumulated. I'm assuming reinstalling the os with autoloader on a passport will do the same. I've had this fone two years and while working well want it to jump.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 02:20 PM
    Also. Will autoloader Downloader work for my z10. I'd like to practice on my second phone before doing on my primary passport. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 02:23 PM
    Wiping... formatting..

Tomato.... tometo..

They are one and the same!

Posted via CB10 on my ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    Not necessarily. There are times when one wipes a device, the individuals personal password to unlock their BlackBerry is still present. I've witnessed this plenty.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 02:43 PM
    Is an autoloader sanctioned by the powers to be at blackberry. Or is it an app or program developed by users. If I use has there been a history of not being successful and then the phone being unusable. Where do u get the Downloader?. Last. On my laptop I periodically reinstall windows just to have the computer fresh of stuff accumulated. I'm assuming reinstalling the os with autoloader on a passport will do the same. I've had this fone two years and while working well want it to jump.

Posted via CB10
    The autoloaders ARE official OS's but are usually leaked ahead of the official release from Blackberry. You will have no problems whatsoever with them, just read the guide here: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...loader-927076/ carefully and follow the links to find your correct autoloader (z10 is there also). I do the same as I have a spare z10 for just such a purpose. If you screw up, don't worry, just reload. The autoloader will make your device feel brand new again, as everything is wiped. Before you do this you may or may not want to do a complete backup using Blackberry Link on your PC or by doing a backup on some 3rd party BB app such as Ultimate Backup etc. Good luck.
    03-29-16 02:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Depends where you get it. BlackBerry has released autoloaders, they developed the capability. There are tools that allow users to put together autoloaders that BlackBerry would not necessarily release and may not work as intended. Someone could put the wrong radio model for the intended device in an autoloader, for example. What could not be done is creating an autoloader with code that BlackBerry did not approve for instalation in one of their models. The cryptographic signing would prevent that.

Autoloaders are large. Search the forums. If you find broken links posted a request, someone who has the file will probably post it to Dropbox or Mega for you.

A botched autoloader will not likely do more than softbrick the phone which should be recoverable.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    03-29-16 03:01 PM
    Not necessarily. There are times when one wipes a device, the individuals personal password to unlock their BlackBerry is still present. I've witnessed this plenty.

Posted via CB10
    This is a necessity to have Protect work. If everything that locked the device to a user was on the system storage then a thief could just cause a wipe or install an autoloader.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    03-29-16 03:09 PM
    I just don't want to mess up my precious I luv my passport as my family. But thanks

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 03:11 PM
39 12