Just curious, Technically speaking, would it be possible to put Android on older (in; Z30, q10, etc) phones? I know that we have heard rumors of it being on Passports out in the wild. But not sure how.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 11:40 PM
    sure it can be loaded on there but only by BB. Its not something us users can do on our own
    03-16-16 11:50 PM
    Just curious, Technically speaking, would it be possible to put Android on older (in; Z30, q10, etc) phones? I know that we have heard rumors of it being on Passports out in the wild. But not sure how.

Posted via CB10
    All that there's been on that front is exactly one Silver Passport-looking device running Android. It's not exactly a Silver Passport, since the device identified itself as an Oslo rather than a Windermere (like all other passports).

My guess, that Silver Passport with Android was a prototype BlackBerry Android device. The BB10 Silver Passport production run was using whatever hardware they had left over, but with the same old BB10 OS to squeeze out a few dollars.
    03-17-16 02:08 AM
    The reason I ask, with the apparent demise of BlackBerry as a hand set maker, would it be possible, for example, for them to sell off the hand set division to Google, and Google convert those that want some sort of continued support to Android. And that conversion happen either OTA or via computer.

I know that there was a lot of discussion when the PB died, that it would or would not run bb10 properly for technical reasons. Not sure if that was just a RAM thing or something else.

Wishful thinking, I know, but just wondering if it would be possible.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 11:31 AM
    the phones can run it but its pointless. There is no money to be made in doing this at all especially on such old devices.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-17-16 12:27 PM
    They would make money indirectly by having that much more data on users and their habits. It's really what makes them most of their money.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 12:46 PM
    Six extra users won't make a difference.
    howarmat and JeepBB like this.
    03-17-16 12:50 PM
    They would make money indirectly by having that much more data on users and their habits. It's really what makes them most of their money.
    Except... what happens if they didn't make Android for BB10 phones? The data strongly suggests that 83% of those leaving BB10 will buy an Android phone anyway, and, with zero extra dollars spent, Google still gets the vast majority of those users.

So, again, what's in it for Google?
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-17-16 08:27 PM
    Except... what happens if they didn't make Android for BB10 phones? The data strongly suggests that 83% of those leaving BB10 will buy an Android phone anyway, and, with zero extra dollars spent, Google still gets the vast majority of those users.

Why would it be up to Google?

BlackBerry is pushing the update and actually think would improve their relationship among the hardcore that bought a passport.

I don't think they could pull it off though

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 09:43 PM
    Why would it be up to Google?

BlackBerry is pushing the update and actually think would improve their relationship among the hardcore that bought a passport.

I don't think they could pull it off though

Posted via CB10
    depends on if another device is actually coming and if its actual worth buying.

if the plan is the next phone to be their last and its mid or low tier then your customers really dont matter
    03-17-16 10:31 PM
    They get to know everything about me sooner?

I don't think they would turn down all the patents (and patent revenue) that BlackBerry has. And really, the effort for them to figure out how to update, say a Z30 to lollipop wouldn't even put a blip in their manpower.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 10:46 PM
    They get to know everything about me sooner?

I don't think they would turn down all the patents (and patent revenue) that BlackBerry has. And really, the effort for them to figure out how to update, say a Z30 to lollipop wouldn't even put a blip in their manpower.
    Google added more Android users since this thread started then they would acquire through such a scheme.

Most people who own BB10 devices will eventually give up and buy new phones on their own. Most of those will buy Android phones.

The few diehards out there who want to take BB10 to the grave will refuse the upgrade to Android if BB or Google made it available anyway, wouldn't they?
    03-17-16 11:12 PM
    The thing is, Google doesn't continue support on their own devices, they will update them until the next flagship product and comes out, they may push one more os update the year it comes out but support with die, people will buy the new phone and some will still buy the old one but support always dies.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-16 12:38 PM
    The thing is, Google doesn't continue support on their own devices, they will update them until the next flagship product and comes out, they may push one more os update the year it comes out but support with die, people will buy the new phone and some will still buy the old one but support always dies.

Posted via CB10
    they update their products pretty good actually. Nexus 5 has android 6.
    03-19-16 01:03 PM