So Sunday morning, I was awoken (should probably say "thankfully" that it was in time) by a major fire in my appartment. I literally just got out alive... a matter of seconds between life and death.

I was even the second story in the regional newspaper... probably not for the right reasons, but you take what you're given.

Anyway, I went back the next day to the appartment and there was NOTHING left except burned remains. Everything was gone, including my Z10.

When will BlackBerry think of us poor individuals who have a major fire in their residence and make an infermo proof phone. I mean come on, how hard can it be?!

Seriously though (you've either got to make stupid jokes about things like this or just give in - which is not an option), it's one of the few items I would have chosen to save if I had had more than a few seconds to save my own backside. I'm missing it quite a lot... but I will get another one just as soon as the bank has given me a replacement credit card so I can order it.

Yes, I am a huge fan of the Z10, and it is one of the first things on my repurchase list... a little after toothbrush, shaving stuff, underwear....

Simon.

Please note: This story is true. I did, very nearly die Sunday morning due to a massive fire. I'm not writing this for any other reason than to just write it. I SO wish that had had a backup somewhere other than my PC (which was also destroyed). I've lost way too many photos and videos taken with the Z10 (and the Torch and Storm before it)
    Please be a lesson to all: Get a fire alarm. If you already have one, make sure it works. Because I didn't, 60 seconds later, I would have been dead. Material things can be replaced (they're only things). You can't be replaced and neither can your family of friends.
    07-31-13 05:46 PM
    That's insane! Glad you made it. if it was me z10 first thing to replace after new boxers lol

The Grizco Channel: C0011F20B - Movies / Music / Gaming / Tech / Sports news, reviews & opinions.
    07-31-13 05:50 PM
    Glad you survived, how horrific. A good reminder that physical backups need to be stored off premises.
    07-31-13 05:55 PM
    I'm glad you survived.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 06:05 PM
    On a deeper note, any life changing revelations. Coming so close to the brink and all plan to do anything differently.
    Take that trip spend more time with loved ones finally get around to writing that book. Anything?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 06:09 PM
    Oh, one other word of warning.
    Despite the hot weather (at least here) always ensure you wear something to bed. I at least had underwear on, so coming down the long fireman's ladder from the 8th floor wasn't quite as embarasing as it could have been ... although the girls at work ensure me that I could have been top story, instead of second, if I had been in my birthday suit

Si.
    07-31-13 06:15 PM
    Glad you made it out!

Z10-4 .4687 via CB10
    07-31-13 06:17 PM
    On a deeper note, any life changing revelations. Coming so close to the brink and all plan to do anything differently.
    Take that trip spend more time with loved ones finally get around to writing that book. Anything?

Posted via CB10
    The thing is, I believe that I've always lived a good, fun and eventfull life. I have travelled all over the world. Met far too many people to even try counting. Always been there for my family and friends....

It's only been a few days and I'm still trying to sort out the basic paperwork (passport, driving licence, ID, etc....) and trying to understand just how close I came to not being here - the visit to the appartment was 'difficult' to say the least....

So no major "I HAVE TO DO THAT" moments yet.... well... I need to tell my family and friends more often how much they mean to me. This whole thing has made WAY too many people cry because I almost wasn't here anymore.

Si.
    07-31-13 06:24 PM
    Glad you are ok op.

Must be awful to lose items which were on your Z10. I remember reading that Branson lost decades of written notes when there was a fire on Mecca island.

Hope you get a replacement Z10 soon !

Thanks for the tip about the underpants.

Posted via my CB Q10
    07-31-13 07:33 PM
    Get a box acct and back-up your stuff on occasion..

Glad you made it out and hopefully others did too.

#ripz10

Q10
    07-31-13 07:38 PM
    what caused the fire?
    07-31-13 10:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's funny, my medical incident in march was more serious than they let on (doctor filled me in after my follow up) - its been a few months and I'm still terrified at how close I came that I still haven't really thought about life changing revelations. I'm still freaked the eff out. I can understand the OPs mind space completely - 60 seconds for him, about 6 hours from bleeding to death internally for me (heart failure was pretty imminent apparently ).

Makes cell phones seem downright silly. Just hold your loved ones closer, get a smoke detector, and don't brush off symptoms with 'its just the flu, I'll go to the doctor Monday'.

OP - glad you got out okay, take care of you , make sure you talk to people. Trust me.
    07-31-13 10:25 PM
    Glad you made it out and great advice to all concerning smoke/fire detectors.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 10:46 PM