Forgive me if these have been asked or answered before. I've spent a few hours reading threads and haven't found a solid answer.

It took a few attempts to add my work email to my device, but i was finally successful in adding my account as both a POP3 and IMAP account.

For each type of account, is the phone downloading the entire emails or just headers?

I ask this as each time i have selected the "Initial Retrieval Amount" as 3 days, but with each type the phone "downloads" ALL of the messages on the server (i keep all messages on the server as a backup and use outlook in my office). The doesn't seem to be a setting to only download headers and i am worried that it is downloading the email data as well. There are many, many emails on the server.

If i setup the account as a POP3 and delete emails on the device, the emails are not deleted from the server. Additionally, if i delete items on the server this action is not synced to the device.

This operation is exactly what i want to happen but it contradicts everything i have read so far online. There doesn't seem to be any settings to control "delete from handheld only" and "delete from handheld/server" as there is on OS7 devices. This functions exactly how a POP3 system should function (again, i have read online that it doesnt work like this!)

There doesn't seem to be a setting "leave messages on the server" - or is there?

If i setup the account as an IMAP and delete emails on the device, the emails are deleted from the server. Additionally, if i delete items on the server this action is synced to the device.

This operation is to be expected from an IMAP device.

Does anyone know how to enforce the retrieval period? As this setting does not seem to work.

Basically, I am worried that it is not downloading the headers only (thus a huge data charge) and I am worried that if i setup as POP3 and it does download everything on the server, when i delete the older emails it will delete them from the server (even though it doesn't seem to be doing this).

Thanks so much.
    Last edited by bingie1885; 08-14-13 at 12:00 PM.
    08-14-13 11:30 AM
    In a nutshell...this is different than OS7...doesn't work the same...no option for delete on handheld/server...sorry to be the one to tell you...
    Forgive me if these have been asked or answered before. I've spent a few hours reading threads and haven't found a solid answer.

It took a few attempts to add my work email to my device, but i was finally successful in adding my account as both a POP3 and IMAP account.

For each type of account, is the phone downloading the entire emails or just headers?

I ask this as each time i have selected the "Initial Retrieval Amount" as 3 days, but with each type the phone "downloads" ALL of the messages on the server (i keep all messages on the server as a backup and use outlook in my office). The doesn't seem to be a setting to only download headers and i am worried that it is downloading the email data as well. There are many, many emails on the server.

If i setup the account as a POP3 and delete emails on the device, the emails are not deleted from the server. Additionally, if i delete items on the server this action is not synced to the device.

This operation is exactly what i want to happen but it contradicts everything i have read so far online. There doesn't seem to be any settings to control "delete from handheld only" and "delete from handheld/server" as there is on OS7 devices. This functions exactly how a POP3 system should function (again, i have read online that it doesnt work like this!)

There doesn't seem to be a setting "leave messages on the server" - or is there?

If i setup the account as an IMAP and delete emails on the device, the emails are deleted from the server. Additionally, if i delete items on the server this action is synced to the device.

This operation is to be expected from an IMAP device.

Does anyone know how to enforce the retrieval period? As this setting does not seem to work.

Basically, I am worried that it is not downloading the headers only (thus a huge data charge) and I am worried that if i setup as POP3 and it does download everything on the server, when i delete the older emails it will delete them from the server (even though it doesn't seem to be doing this).

Thanks so much.
    08-14-13 11:36 AM
    In a nutshell...this is different than OS7...doesn't work the same...no option for delete on handheld/server...sorry to be the one to tell you...
    Thanks but even without the option to do that IS it doing that?

Any thoughts on the headers part of the question?
    08-14-13 12:03 PM
    My last thread was probably too long

If i setup an email account on my Z10 as POP3, does the device download only the headers or the full emails?

Secondly, if it downloads the full emails, can I restrict how much is downloaded - since the "Initial retrieval period" doesn't seem to work.

Thanks so much.
    08-14-13 12:10 PM
    I'm working on getting further help in here

PS I combined the threads.
    08-14-13 01:22 PM
    Hi

I'm trying to setup my Q10 also for email. Can anyone tell me if I setup IMAP connection, would it download all email message or just headers and then if I select this message - it will download it in full? I use 10.2.

Is there any option to setup Q10 to download only headers in IMAP connection?
    11-06-13 08:32 PM