New Q10 user (from Bold 9780). I used to be able to set my BBY to retrieve POP e-mail and leave a copy on the server. Separately, my work desktop could retrieve mail and delete it from the sever. All my e-mails would go the desktop, and I could just keep what I wanted on the BBY.

Now with the Q10, POP e-mail is constantly syncing with mail server and deleting messages from the phone that have been deleted from the server? Rogers support tells me "this is how all the new phones work" and there is no way to save e-mail messages on the phone if the are deleted from the server? As soon as they are deleted from the server, the Q10 will sync and delete them from the phone.

Does any of this make sense? How can I save my e-mail history on the phone but delete it from the server?
    09-17-13 04:56 PM
    New Q10 user (from Bold 9780). I used to be able to set my BBY to retrieve POP e-mail and leave a copy on the server. Separately, my work desktop could retrieve mail and delete it from the sever. All my e-mails would go the desktop, and I could just keep what I wanted on the BBY.

Now with the Q10, POP e-mail is constantly syncing with mail server and deleting messages from the phone that have been deleted from the server? Rogers support tells me "this is how all the new phones work" and there is no way to save e-mail messages on the phone if the are deleted from the server? As soon as they are deleted from the server, the Q10 will sync and delete them from the phone.

Does any of this make sense? How can I save my e-mail history on the phone but delete it from the server?

BlackBerry 10 OS, like virtually all other smartphone OS's today, does not have a built-in "delete on device only" option, or a "delete on server only" email option.

Also bear in mind that there is no "syncing" with a POP email system. From the standpoint of the email server itself, you can do only 2 things with a POP system: check and/or download messages in the single inbox that have not yet been deleted, or delete messages. That's it. There is no folder support, there is no "move to folder", there is no syncing of sent messages, etc.

POP systems are slowly being phased out because they are not convenient for most people these days. It's a 25 year old protocol - an eternity in the digital world.

If you really want to do the extra work of separately retrieving another copy of messages on a desktop computer and organizing them there, then I'd suggest setting the BlackBerry Hub to "hide read messages". This will have the effect of making any messages already read on the handheld but not downloaded/removed from the server by your desktop computer invisible on the BlackBerry.

Alternatively if your email provider has a modern email infrastructure, you could switch to a newer email protocol, which would then allow you to do message/folder organizing on the device rather than spend time later reading and organizing the same messages already read on the BlackBerry.

More info:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...yncing-777774/
    09-17-13 05:39 PM