Hey,

I filmed an instance of police brutality tonight on the streets. I got it on tape, and kept filming after the officer demanded I hand him my phone as evidence of the crime. I was still filming when I asked him if he'd let me go with my phone if I deleted the video, I got his 'yes' on camera. I tried quickly to copy the vid in the file manager, but I can't find it, so I think I didn't.

Haven't so much as touched the phone since then. Any way to recover the deleted .mp4?

Thanks.
    07-16-15 12:46 AM
    Was it on the memory card or internal memory? If it was on an unencrypted memory card you can just put it into your PC and try to recover it with tools like Recuva.

Posted via CB10
    Kamika007z likes this.
    07-16-15 12:59 AM
    I guess that it's like all files, still there unless written over! Good luck! I agree to use a recovery program on you pc.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 07:12 AM
    Just in case you stored it on a memory card, I have googled "recover data memory card"
    and found 1st hit Memory Card Recovery Software to Recover Lost Photos - CardRecovery ... there are many others.

BTW, I would recommend using a cloud service like Box, Dropbox, Mega etc etc. ... just to have back-up option in any emergency case.
    Typically at least 10 GB are free.
    07-16-15 08:20 AM
    Scan the phone via USB hooked up to the computer to mount the drives (internal memory and SD card) and use Recuva as said by Gerri (Recuva) in order to see if it's recoverable.

Make sure to enable deep scanning under the application's options after you install it and before you scan it.
    07-16-15 08:26 AM
    When you go to the the picture app ,slide down from the top and you will see hide items,tap the item you want to hide and it's gone until you want to unhide it .This won't help recover the video but next time you may fool those bad cops,lol
    jas1978 and Superdupont 2_0 like this.
    07-16-15 08:31 AM
    Scan the phone via USB hooked up to the computer to mount the drives (internal memory and SD card) and use Recuva as said by Gerri (Recuva) in order to see if it's recoverable.

Make sure to enable deep scanning under the application's options after you install it and before you scan it.
    Thanks for the tip. Will this work a) If the video was saved to internal memory, not SD, and b) on BB10? I tried doing some research myself and it seemed like these data recovery apps are designed for a single OS only—Windows ones only recover data on Windows, Mac on Mac, Android on Android, etc. Is this wrong? (I hope it is!)
    Last edited by gaytheist; 07-16-15 at 04:15 PM.
    07-16-15 03:26 PM
    I've spent hours on this. Recuva does not have the ability to recover data from a Network drive, which is how my PC considers my device. I think that in order for recovery to happen, the programme has to have low, low-level access to the drive, which a Network drive relationship does not afford.

From PCWorld, � Nor can Windows-based file recovery programs like Recuva Portable and File-Rescue Plus work over a network. They need to run directly on the OS that's controlling the hard drive, which must be formatted with a file system they understand � .

Oh well :'( Feel so defeated. The worst part is the kid who got arrested asked me to keep filming, so he's probably in a gaol cell right now hoping I came through with it.
    07-17-15 12:54 AM
    Like someone asked, did you have Box Dropbox or Mega upload auto enabled to upload pictures and videos?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 Q10SQN100-5/10.3.1.2576 Posted via CB
    07-17-15 05:10 AM
    First make sure you don't use your phone's memory for anything else because it'll override the deleted files and make impossible to recover.

Now over the years I have used many different tools to get deleted pictures back and the tool that I have used was Active Undelete.

It is pretty good software.

Try that and hopefully it reads the Memory.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 05:46 AM
    I taught that I had read somewhere here that you could not access the internal storage to recover documents - short of at a recovery lab. Only an unencrypted SD card could be removed from your BlackBerry and then recovered.
    07-17-15 10:01 AM
    If it is a serious and legitimate case of police brutality, you will need to take the video to some official agency in order to report the incident right? Take the phone to the state police (or similar depending on your location) and they may be able to recover the video. It may not be the most ideal solution as I would not want them crawling through my phone either, but if you really want to help this person and see that the guilty officer is punished, it may be the only way to make sure justice is obtained. You might also take it to a professional lab but I have no idea how expensive that is and you may only get one shot at recovering the video.
    Blacklatino and DaFoxGrey like this.
    07-17-15 10:54 AM
    When you go to the the picture app ,slide down from the top and you will see hide items,tap the item you want to hide and it's gone until you want to unhide it .This won't help recover the video but next time you may fool those bad cops,lol
    Or he could create a ".nomedia" file and keep it in the Camera folder that will result on the videos/photos unshowing on the videos/pictures apps and even file manager!
    07-17-15 11:15 AM
    Make sure you put your phone into USB storage mode. Connect it with the cable and your media card will show as a portable drive not network drive.

Then download this Active@ File Recovery is a tool for data recovery. LSoft Technologies or Active@ UNDELETE recovers deleted files and restores deleted partitions - LSoft Technologies
    there is a free demo so just go ahead and try it
    07-17-15 12:23 PM
    I've spent hours on this. Recuva does not have the ability to recover data from a Network drive, which is how my PC considers my device. I think that in order for recovery to happen, the programme has to have low, low-level access to the drive, which a Network drive relationship does not afford.

From PCWorld, � Nor can Windows-based file recovery programs like Recuva Portable and File-Rescue Plus work over a network. They need to run directly on the OS that's controlling the hard drive, which must be formatted with a file system they understand � .

Oh well :'( Feel so defeated. The worst part is the kid who got arrested asked me to keep filming, so he's probably in a gaol cell right now hoping I came through with it.
    It's showing as a network drive since the device is being accessed by the use of BlackBerry link method. Just turn on USB mass storage and try to scan your Memory card, if the video was on your memory card.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 12:34 PM
    Was it police brutality, or justified force continuum?
    Police brutality vid deleted by officer. Way to recover?-s1dufis.jpg

Z10STL100-4/10.3.2.798
    habs_fan likes this.
    07-17-15 01:34 PM
    I would assume that if you had a password the police officer couldn't get access to the springboard.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by iBwizzle; 07-17-15 at 04:37 PM.
    07-17-15 01:47 PM
    Or get a card reader or adapter for you pc and pull the card from the phone and plug it into the usb card reader.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    07-17-15 04:00 PM
    Hey,

I filmed an instance of police brutality tonight on the streets. I got it on tape, and kept filming after the officer demanded I hand him my phone as evidence of the crime. I was still filming when I asked him if he'd let me go with my phone if I deleted the video, I got his 'yes' on camera. I tried quickly to copy the vid in the file manager, but I can't find it, so I think I didn't.

Haven't so much as touched the phone since then. Any way to recover the deleted .mp4?

Thanks.
    Let me guess, it was a white cop and a black man, who committed a crime.

Seriously though I'm sure whatever said person did they probably deserved it in the first place. Don't get in trouble or fight with police and nothing bad will happen, promise

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by habs_fan; 07-17-15 at 04:21 PM.
    zack west likes this.
    07-17-15 04:03 PM
    Regardless of if it was justified or not, the officer has 0 right to make you delete the footage. It's not like the guy was taking creepy pictures of the cops daughter. If what was on that video was justified then there should have been no issues. Hope you can recover the video so that the officers actions can stand or fall on their own merits

Posted via CB10
    jope28 and mkelley65 like this.
    07-17-15 04:22 PM
    here in the USA you have every right to record police without incident, police have no right to take your phone from you if your just some innocent bystander.
    07-17-15 05:37 PM
    Vladi's probably right. Try this !

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 05:42 PM
    Hey everyone, thanks for the help. I'll go through these one at a time:

Like someone asked, did you have Box Dropbox or Mega upload auto enabled to upload pictures and videos?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 Q10SQN100-5/10.3.1.2576 Posted via CB
    No, unfortunately, I didn't

First make sure you don't use your phone's memory for anything else because it'll override the deleted files and make impossible to recover.

Now over the years I have used many different tools to get deleted pictures back and the tool that I have used was Active Undelete.

It is pretty good software.

Try that and hopefully it reads the Memory.

Posted via CB10
    I've not touched it (fortunately for the time being I can use my Q10). Will Active Undelete work with BB10? I thought that's where Recuva failed, and it doesn't look like Active Undelete's website mentions anything about BB10 compatibility specifically.

I taught that I had read somewhere here that you could not access the internal storage to recover documents - short of at a recovery lab. Only an unencrypted SD card could be removed from your BlackBerry and then recovered.
    It's looking more and more like you're right as I do more research.

If it is a serious and legitimate case of police brutality, you will need to take the video to some official agency in order to report the incident right? Take the phone to the state police (or similar depending on your location) and they may be able to recover the video. It may not be the most ideal solution as I would not want them crawling through my phone either, but if you really want to help this person and see that the guilty officer is punished, it may be the only way to make sure justice is obtained. You might also take it to a professional lab but I have no idea how expensive that is and you may only get one shot at recovering the video.
    In an ideal world, you're absolutely right. Of course I wouldn't like them going in my phone, but that's such a small price to pay for getting this jerkarse officer what's due to him. The reality, though, is nothing would ever come of it. I'd walk into the provincial police, tell them what happened, and have my phone sit in their lab for months (years?) without anything happening. There's no specific crime I have to tell them about, I have no idea what his name was, or what the kid's was, or what he was getting arrested for. I'm not sure they'd even take it to perform recovery on in the first place. I suppose this is my best option, but that's saying so little.

Or he could create a ".nomedia" file and keep it in the Camera folder that will result on the videos/photos unshowing on the videos/pictures apps and even file manager!
    I really have nothing to hide, apart from embarrassing selfies. I'd rather not mess around with the file manager, even if it means them finding the pics, so that there's the best chance to recover the video.

Make sure you put your phone into USB storage mode. Connect it with the cable and your media card will show as a portable drive not network drive.

Then download this Active@ File Recovery is a tool for data recovery. LSoft Technologies or Active@ UNDELETE recovers deleted files and restores deleted partitions - LSoft Technologies
    there is a free demo so just go ahead and try it
    There is no media card (the video was saved to internal storage). USB mode doesn't have the internal storage show up. (I'm using a Mac, but I also have Parallels/VMWare Fusion running that would detect it).

It's showing as a network drive since the device is being accessed by the use of BlackBerry link method. Just turn on USB mass storage and try to scan your Memory card, if the video was on your memory card.

Posted via CB10
    No memory card, was saved to internal storage.

Was it police brutality, or justified force continuum?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S1dUFiS.jpg 
Views:	1255 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	362948

Z10STL100-4/10.3.2.798
    I started filming when I first saw what was going on, which was an officer slamming a kid's face into a brick wall. The image's unreadable, so I'm unable to tell what action in your world warrants such violence, but I can say with near certainty that the kid didn't do it.

I would assume that if you had a password the police officer couldn't get access to the springboard.

Posted via CB10
    I have a password on my phone, but I handed it to him unlocked, so he could delete it (again, I thought I'd copied it at this point, otherwise I would have done something else).

Or get a card reader or adapter for you pc and pull the card from the phone and plug it into the usb card reader.
    No card in the phone, only internal.

Let me guess, it was a white cop and a black man, who committed a crime.

Seriously though I'm sure whatever said person did they probably deserved it in the first place. Don't get in trouble or fight with police and nothing bad will happen, promise

Posted via CB10
    I'm saddened to see a fellow Montr�aler with this response. I don't know how race is relevant here, but it was a white male teen, white male cop. Get over yourself.

Regardless of if it was justified or not, the officer has 0 right to make you delete the footage. It's not like the guy was taking creepy pictures of the cops daughter. If what was on that video was justified then there should have been no issues. Hope you can recover the video so that the officers actions can stand or fall on their own merits

Posted via CB10
    I mean, legally, he didn't make me delete it. I voluntarily had it deleted, technically. He had said he was gonna use it for evidence, but of course, it would have gotten deleted seconds after handing it to him—after all, had he submitted it for evidence, there would have been not only him brutalising the kid on tape, but also him offering to let me go if I deleted the video (which is pretty damning evidence of his real intentions). I did what I thought was my best chance at having the video survive.

here in the USA you have every right to record police without incident, police have no right to take your phone from you if your just some innocent bystander.
    Same thing here. But officers, like in the States, can claim that they need your photos/videos for 'evidence'. I doubt any ever are actually used in the end; most end up deleted.
    Thorsten Heinsight likes this.
    07-17-15 09:09 PM
    Upswipe to home screen and quick long press "K" key to lock on my Q10 with the encrypted sd-card actually came in handy for me even though I used to think it was paranoid "over-doing" it.

Those are precautions, but if an officer wants to just "steal" your phone, then there's nothing you can do. They might destroy or steal the sdcard if they're into breaking the law themselves .
    They out number us and have the guns (the radio is more dangerous than the gun, so hope he loses the former which is more dangerous than the latter) and the numbers when they call for backup.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2339 CB10
    07-17-15 10:04 PM
    I just love all these armchair quarterbacks who think everything done by the police is police brutality. So you started filming when he had the kid against the wall. You don't know what happened prior to that. Your video would useless anyways. Glad it was deleted and you can't recover it.

Posted via CB10
    zack west and habs_fan like this.
    07-17-15 10:18 PM
64 123