I am not talking about netflix, instagram etc. but about certain functional/customization apps. Am I the only person being annoyed by having pages and pages of icons? (granted you can keep them in folders but, tbh it is still pretty annoying to me). It is not just about them being headless or not, it is just that, in general... there are certain things that should just be built in!

1) Whilst the developers have done a brilliant job at them, I really do not see why we must download apps to change the notification colours (the OCD part of me hates having to disable the "official" LED lights and instead use a 3rd party app). Nor do I see why, even if we cannot fully customise the themes, that we cannot have a basic colour-theme changer instead of having to again, use a 3rd party app (or go through the trouble of having to photoshop it yourself).

2) This is just a suggestion but, again (with my OCD-ness) one of my major annoyance is with the number of different photo editing apps [ which is why I never use them]. If only BB can allow just 1 photo editing app with the potential to ADD additional filters/frames as in app purchase, [I am thinking of how you can add brushes/patterns INSIDE photoshop itself instead of having to run different programmes to do so]

Or even allow say, a standard Wallpaper/Theme app where people can just buy from different vendors inside the Official app itself?!

3) If possible, to even have a unified system for certain industries even! E.g. banks/airline companies (please allow us to check in from BB Travel). Apple is trying to do that with Passbook (which didn't seem to take off very well) but it is a very good idea to just, consolidate certain things.

4) Buy over good apps or something and integrate them into the phone for everyone.

The advantage of this is that:
    a) it will just unclutter the phone's home page
    b) allow people to concentrate more on content development. - this may be good for companies if they just need to provide content but may not have the skill/resources to create an entire app
    c) there is no need to continually boost app numbers in BB World when you can say... hey, we don't really need them.

I am not "complaining" - and I know that it is the norm nowadays to use apps [in fact, I think sometimes there is an OVER reliance of them] but, maybe BB should step out from the crowd and be different. Having messages integrated into the Hub/ all the Cloud services into File Manager is an awesome idea and they should implement this philosophy throughout the phone...

Failing all these, can we at least be allowed to
    - hide these 'utility' icons that we really don't need to see every day...
    - customise a folder's icon [e.g. if I can't have everything in one place at least I can have a Nice, special looking folder to keep them in]

//Sorry, but you can see that I am erm... quite emotionally affected by having too many icons with which I am constantly rearranging and arranging etc.
    05-23-13 01:02 PM
    I think you have some valid points, but I also think that BB should be trying to get as many developers on board as they can. That's one of the things that's been hurting them in the past, and now with QNX they have a chance make up for it.

If they can get apps that do the easy things like LEDs and stuff, they can concentrate on other things like getting headless apps and such. And with headless apps they can get even more developers and the current apps can be updated to work even better. It might not be ideal for you, but I think for the platform as a whole it's a good thing. Suppose they left nothing for devs to do, who would develop for the platform then?

As a bonus, the developer who starts off with a simple LED app might make something more substantial later.

Just my opinion
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-23-13 01:13 PM
    I guess they could go on to do other more brilliant apps? There are a billion more apps to develop but I do believe that there are certain things that should just be integrated into the phone itself, and others that will be value-add.

Take multiple alarms for example... I am sure such apps now will probably earn from those desperate enough but it is such a basic function it should have been in the phone itself. (I remember when I first used the iPad - which I kinda abandoned after getting my z10... I paid for an alarm app, it only appeared on my iPad as a native feature 1 year + after I bought it.

Obviously all those who made such apps would have lost out on their revenue but, whilst the phone needs the support of the developers, they need more users too. And whilst developers will 'lose' out (mostly opportunity cost), you gain more content providers who are equally important too and may be easier to bring onto the phone's platform.
    05-23-13 01:42 PM