Hi all,

So it finally may have happened and I am devastated. I am currently traveling in Greece visiting friends and family and a bad combo of slippery hands from some lamb chops and too much wine lead to me dropping my Passport SE on a cobblestone road.

I picked up the device and it won't still on and worked ok but when I pushed the power button once again it froze it. I can't get it to turn on and when I plug it in all I can get is 5 flashes on a non stop loop.

As per usual I don't have much backed up as I was literally going to go through the process of transferring everything to an SD card once I got back. I am beyond devastated!!

I have a backup Classic for the trip but I am wondering if anyone has seen the 5 flashes thing before? Anyway I can bring this phone back to life? The screen hasn't cracked, the back appears to be flush and tucked in properly.

I just need to get some photos, some contacts and find another SE or another Passport for the future.

Thanks in advance,
    09-03-19 11:33 PM
    Hi all,

So it finally may have happened and I am devastated. I am currently traveling in Greece visiting friends and family and a bad combo of slippery hands from some lamb chops and too much wine lead to me dropping my Passport SE on a cobblestone road.

I picked up the device and it won't still on and worked ok but when I pushed the power button once again it froze it. I can't get it to turn on and when I plug it in all I can get is 5 flashes on a non stop loop.

As per usual I don't have much backed up as I was literally going to go through the process of transferring everything to an SD card once I got back. I am beyond devastated!!

I have a backup Classic for the trip but I am wondering if anyone has seen the 5 flashes thing before? Anyway I can bring this phone back to life? The screen hasn't cracked, the back appears to be flush and tucked in properly.

I just need to get some photos, some contacts and find another SE or another Passport for the future.

Thanks in advance,
    Sounds destroyed.
    09-03-19 11:52 PM
    Yep, sounds like you hammered the motherboard - jolted it to death.
    09-04-19 12:06 AM
    Sounds destroyed.

Any idea how easy data recovery might be for a Blackberry from a specialty shop?? I see stories on tv all the time of people getting their data recovered from stores after their phones get destroyed.

I hope I get lucky and it turns back on somehow. Some valuable memories recently I haven't saved like an idiot.

Do you think an autoloader will work?

Thx again for all your help!

Posted via CB10
    09-04-19 12:09 AM
    Another question, is this a repairable? Cost isn't really an issue but than again another Passport isn't that expensive either.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-19 12:12 AM
    Any idea how easy data recovery might be for a Blackberry from a specialty shop?? I see stories on tv all the time of people getting their data recovered from stores after their phones get destroyed.

I hope I get lucky and it turns back on somehow. Some valuable memories recently I haven't saved like an idiot.

Do you think an autoloader will work?

Thx again for all your help!

Posted via CB10
    Software doesn't break after a drop - so it's not likely that.

You can try an autoloader of course, but that will wipe your device.

A forensic data extraction company may be able to recover some scraps (at great cost), so long as you didn't turn on device encryption.
    09-04-19 12:12 AM
    Did it work after the drop until you pressed the power button?

If so, I'd try taking it apart, removing the battery and then looking to see if there is any physical damage you can see with the power button. Looking on the bright side, it could just be stuck in and you might be able to coaxit back to life. Before reassembling, I'd also spray the button area with contact cleaner and give it a few minutes to clear.

Just my opinion but it can't do any harm before condemning the device.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-19 07:10 AM
    Did it work after the drop until you pressed the power button?

If so, I'd try taking it apart, removing the battery and then looking to see if there is any physical damage you can see with the power button. Looking on the bright side, it could just be stuck in and you might be able to coaxit back to life. Before reassembling, I'd also spray the button area with contact cleaner and give it a few minutes to clear.

Just my opinion but it can't do any harm before condemning the device.

Posted via CB10

I picked it up and I was able to touch the lit screen. By habit I pushed the power button to have the screen go blank and than pushed it again to have it come back to life. That's when I realized it was starting a rapid blinking red light service.

Thanks for your pointers! The value of the phone isn't a concern really, I am more shocked at the costs I am being quoted for recovering data and such. $700 or so. Wild, I had no idea!

Do you think it would make sense to have the device go dead battery wise and than try rebooting it again when it gets powered up or charged??? I keep hearing different things. Some people say keep it charged up and others say let it die.

I'm hoping the repair will allow the phone to function and all will be well without having to do data recovery.
    We will see I guess, thanks for the assistance!

Posted via CB10
    09-04-19 02:23 PM
    I'm not sure, sorry.

Get your screwdrivers out and give it a go. It's very easy to take apart and there is a Youtube video to guide you. You'll probably need to buy the tiny Torx screwdriver to open it up.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-19 02:34 PM
    I'm not sure, sorry.

Get your screwdrivers out and give it a go. It's very easy to take apart and there is a Youtube video to guide you. You'll probably need to buy the tiny Torx screwdriver to open it up.

Posted via CB10

Thanks for al your help. I'm crazy enough to do it all, my friends are all cheering this as they think it will be the catalyst for me to get a modern smartphone with a proper backup system etc.

They are nuts! BlackBerry 10 until we go broke trying to recover!

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    09-04-19 02:55 PM
    Thanks for al your help. I'm crazy enough to do it all, my friends are all cheering this as they think it will be the catalyst for me to get a modern smartphone with a proper backup system etc.

They are nuts! BlackBerry 10 until we go broke trying to recover!

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    Be careful as BlackBerry Limited, a multi-billion dollar corporation was brought to brink of death because of BB10 right? Don’t become chew toy snack....

Ok, really, seriously good luck and sorry for your misfortune..
    09-04-19 10:05 PM
    Be careful as BlackBerry Limited, a multi-billion dollar corporation was brought to brink of death because of BB10 right? Don’t become chew toy snack....

Ok, really, seriously good luck and sorry for your misfortune..

Always love the comments and your writing style Chuck!

I'm laughing at myself now since I've read a million comments from you and others on a proper backup on BlackBerry 10. So many people would say the same thing over and over and over!!! I was even talked into buying an SD card to save contacts and pictures etc.

It's now sitting next to the other BlackBerry devices in a drawer collecting dust while I spend an insane amount of time calling, emailing and trying to figure out what to do while I'm on a vacation in Greece. Classic Idiot here who's know using a back up Clasic as well!

Posted via CB10
    09-04-19 11:08 PM

I'm laughing at myself now since I've read a million comments from you and others on a proper backup on BlackBerry 10. So many people would say the same thing over and over and over!!! I was even talked into buying an SD card to save contacts and pictures etc.

It's now sitting next to the other BlackBerry devices in a drawer collecting dust while I spend an insane amount of time calling, emailing and trying to figure out what to do while I'm on a vacation in Greece. Classic Idiot here who's know using a back up Clasic as well!

Posted via CB10
    Less fixing the phone and more enjoying the vacation. Instead of attempting to save what’s possibly not, create the new ones going forward and backup....
    09-05-19 07:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hey curves,

I'm not sure if you got this sorted given your other thread about how to back up using an SD card....but if you didn't, I suggest letting the battery drain fully then plugging it back into a charger and/or trying to connect via USB cable to a computer. I have had situations where a USB cable connection revived a Berry so that could be tried at your convenience if you like.
    09-09-19 05:51 PM
    Hey curves,

I'm not sure if you got this sorted given your other thread about how to back up using an SD card....but if you didn't, I suggest letting the battery drain fully then plugging it back into a charger and/or trying to connect via USB cable to a computer. I have had situations where a USB cable connection revived a Berry so that could be tried at your convenience if you like.

I am going to wait a few days and let the battery die completely without the SIM card. I will attempt to use BlackBerry link to backup and restore once I get back to Canada using an older computer or something.

I am hoping, fingers crossed, that the data and photos doesn't get lost or anything. I am also hoping I am able to fix and still use my Passport in the future. I love that phone and love BlackBerry 10 for what it is. I need that keyboard, email and messaging machine and I love the screen size and shape.

Fingers crossed but I will report back in a month time when I have figured everything out.

Thanks again to you and others for assisting with this.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-19 02:52 AM
    Where exactly are you in Greece? If you are in Athens, or plan to visit the city, pm me and we can arrange to meet. There is a very good repair shop here, where the guys know all about Blackberry problems and they can maybe sort this out for you.
    09-10-19 03:24 AM
    Where exactly are you in Greece? If you are in Athens, or plan to visit the city, pm me and we can arrange to meet. There is a very good repair shop here, where the guys know all about Blackberry problems and they can maybe sort this out for you.
    @curves2000 Just wanted to make sure you saw this curves.

BB10 users helping BB10 users....it warms my heart. It's like Blackberry meetups back in the day....
    mh1983 likes this.
    09-10-19 06:07 PM

Saint300,

Thank you for the offer! I am currently visiting friends and family in a seaside village called Paralio Astros, fairly close to Nafplio.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number and perhaps we can connect in Athina when I am there.

Many thanks in advance!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-19 03:39 AM
    @curves2000 Just wanted to make sure you saw this curves.

BB10 users helping BB10 users....it warms my heart. It's like Blackberry meetups back in the day....

Is that not what made BlackBerry and Crackberry the loveable device and community we all love??

Good times for sure!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-19 03:41 AM
    Is that not what made BlackBerry and Crackberry the loveable device and community we all love??

Good times for sure!

Posted via CB10
    Indeed it is...and I completely agree with everything you said!
    09-11-19 11:04 PM
    Man, my issue with the passport silver edition was that it's battery degraded in less than five months. I charge it, and it dies within the hour. It gets really hot too. I just gave up on it. Shame because it was a brilliant device. Meanwhile I'm typing on my Z30 and this bad boy gets it done!

Posted via CB10 on my  Z30
    09-18-19 02:02 PM
    Man, my issue with the passport silver edition was that it's battery degraded in less than five months. I charge it, and it dies within the hour. It gets really hot too. I just gave up on it. Shame because it was a brilliant device. Meanwhile I'm typing on my Z30 and this bad boy gets it done!

Posted via CB10 on my  Z30
    Battery is replaceable...
    09-19-19 08:44 AM
    You can check if a connector detatched
    Batteries are almost more sensitive to drops than some casing depends where its fixed howit fell etc

Withabit luck a connector detatched or thebattery broke.

Before youspend 700 consider replacing it yourself butits a vague hope

When a chip broke its over

Posted via CB10
    Yesterday 04:47 PM