Found my first let down using BB10!
    I was playing music for my 2yr daughter and she started to dance and it was very cute so I wanted to take a video of her to share with my friends and family but to my surprise I could not do both at the same time! Why not? I have always thought of BlackBerry being the multitasking tool and this was a huge let down!

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 11:13 AM
    Have you ever tried to pat your head and rub you tummy at the same time.....
    tHe.iR1sH likes this.
    08-11-14 11:33 AM
    I don't know if other devices even let u do that....

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 12:21 PM
    Found my first let down using BB10!
    I was playing music for my 2yr daughter and she started to dance and it was very cute so I wanted to take a video of her to share with my friends and family but to my surprise I could not do both at the same time! Why not? I have always thought of BlackBerry being the multitasking tool and this was a huge let down!

Posted via CB10
    You'd have issues hearing anything going on in the video is my guess, and that's why you can't do both.

The speaker would be playing music and there would be a microphone at best a few inches away trying record the audio of what you're filming... which is further away.

I wonder how other platforms handle this.

Posted via CB10
    Genghis2k3 likes this.
    08-11-14 12:52 PM
    Since the OP states this is a BlackBerry 10 let down, it'd be interesting to know if he's seen this capability with another OS.
    08-11-14 01:00 PM
    OP, this can not be done, on any OS. Just as if you were in your car, and connected to bluetooth listening to music from your phone and tried to record a voice note. The speakers cannot be dually accessible. It's not too much of a problem for me, hope this helps and you can find another way to have your adorable little 2 year old (my nephew is the same age ) dance to another source of music while you capture it on video with your BB10 device
    08-12-14 05:24 AM
    Sharing the video thru snap2chat works with music playing .

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 07:27 AM
    People say this is not possible on any OS... has anyone tried doing it on the playbook.... its multitasking wipes the floor with BB10. I know you can have the video recording in the background which is something that can't be done on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    tHe.iR1sH likes this.
    08-12-14 08:44 AM
    People say this is not possible on any OS... has anyone tried doing it on the playbook.... its multitasking wipes the floor with BB10. I know you can have the video recording in the background which is something that can't be done on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, the playbook could do this great and the video and music sound mixed very well in the playback

They removed this function from BB10, but they did change the way sound was handled as the main playback in BB10 so I'm guessing that it just didnt "jive" with their BB10 philosophy

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    08-12-14 12:11 PM
    It should let you record give you that option no harm just pressing pause before recording if desperate for video sound

Mr A Hanif BlackBerry10
    08-12-14 12:14 PM
    Yes, the playbook could do this great and the video and music sound mixed very well in the playback

They removed this function from BB10, but they did change the way sound was handled as the main playback in BB10 so I'm guessing that it just didnt "jive" with their BB10 philosophy

What did they change in terms of playback?.... in my opinion this is a flaw of bb10....I have so far been very disappointed with BB10 multitasking when compared to the playbook which was based on the same QNX system and am at a loss as why Blackberry would take this approach.
    tHe.iR1sH likes this.
    08-12-14 02:28 PM
    What did they change in terms of playback?.... in my opinion this is a flaw of bb10....I have so far been very disappointed with BB10 multitasking when compared to the playbook which was based on the same QNX system and am at a loss as why Blackberry would take this approach.
    They probably didn't think the PlayBook OS would work well with the size of current BB10 cell phones

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 03:04 PM
    They probably didn't think the PlayBook OS would work well with the size of current BB10 cell phones

Posted via CB10
    is not a question of size, but more of functionality....they made the OS less capable, I mean the z30 has a big enough screen and even the Q10 could easily benefit from a simple addon where say the camera keeps recording when the app is made into an active frame but BB10 is just less capable. All the specs were an upgrade over the playbook so im just sincerely curious what the actual reasoning was.
    08-12-14 04:46 PM
    Just tested on android 4.4.2, the music is paused when you start recording. Makes sense as others said the speakers and mic are right beside each other. One thing that bothered me however is when taking a pic with music on in older bb 10 versions (verified its no longer happening on 10.2.1.2977), the sound cuts for a second. That was annoying
    08-12-14 08:05 PM
    I hope they bring back Playbook-like multitasking back in BB10!

I used to be able to play music and record a video at the same time on the Playbook. And it worked flawless.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 08:09 PM
    The changed the way ownership works for the sound and microphone, on PB you could have music app for speakers and camera app for microphone at the same time... but now when you open camera app and start recording it takes ownership of both microphone and speakers (thats why you can't play music and record)

I had something funny happen yesterday, I was listening to the radio and was dialing a number in the phone app and every button press would mute the radio to let me hear the music press (phone app taking ownership)

I can see why they do it that way, you could get in some weird scenarios if you didn't give open app priority for devices vs. Background apps

08-13-14 07:10 AM
    QNX is just a kernel to manage device resources for bb10. How can you compare both. It is the Os that determine the phone functionality

I used to be able to play music and record a video at the same time on the Playbook. And it worked flawless.

Posted via CB10
    It sounds more like a playbook Os bug to me than a feature.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    08-13-14 07:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    FWIW on PB OS 2.1.0.1917 you can definitely record video while playing music AND take still photos all at the same time.
    There is no photo shutter sound when taking the photo, didn't know it worked till I checked the Pictures Folder.
    The PB still rocks!

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 07:48 AM
    QNX is just a kernel to manage device resources for bb10. How can you compare both. It is the Os that determine the phone functionality

It sounds more like a playbook Os bug to me than a feature.

Its not a bug, its evidence of the multi-tasking power of the playbook....which again wipes the floor with BB10...yeah BB10 is more feature rich but no one is able to provide a logical example of this being feature being taken away. One perfect example is recording a video and then trying to check the hub; the video recording stops. Whereas in the playbook you could effing play a video game and still keep recording. It's a clear downgrade in multi-tasking performance. Some may say its a good design choice but its a loss in the feature set.
    mithrazor likes this.
    08-13-14 09:29 AM
    The changed the way ownership works for the sound and microphone, on PB you could have music app for speakers and camera app for microphone at the same time... but now when you open camera app and start recording it takes ownership of both microphone and speakers (thats why you can't play music and record)

I had something funny happen yesterday, I was listening to the radio and was dialing a number in the phone app and every button press would mute the radio to let me hear the music press (phone app taking ownership)

I can see why they do it that way, you could get in some weird scenarios if you didn't give open app priority for devices vs. Background apps

I can understand the design choice but the playbook gave the USER the OPTION. In the settings menu of the playbook there was a distinction made with how the active app handled resources (i.e. showcase vs. gallery). SO it gave users the option to remove resource rights from the background apps if there was a conflict with the active app. This is how its supposed to be handled but BB10 does not allow such an option and again freezes the camera app even when you go into the hub which ruins the efficiency of the system. In the playbook you could record a video, pay attention to the target, quickly check messages and open a PDF for reference (i.e. script to read over the video), and then switch back to the camera to zoom in and continue...all while it continued recording. the playbook has 1GB of ram and gimped processor by today's standards, why BB10 can't do this or give the user the options is beyond me.
    08-13-14 09:36 AM
    Its not a bug, its evidence of the multi-tasking power of the playbook....which again wipes the floor with BB10...yeah BB10 is more feature rich but no one is able to provide a logical example of this being feature being taken away. One perfect example is recording a video and then trying to check the hub; the video recording stops. Whereas in the playbook you could effing play a video game and still keep recording. It's a clear downgrade in multi-tasking performance. Some may say its a good design choice but its a loss in the feature set.
    Although I am still newbie but BlackBerry but playbook Os and bb10 is different Os. How can it be count downgrade. They just sharing the same kernel like how linux is use on android, harmattan, ubuntu, sailfish. Sharing same kernel doesn't mean all will have same features like how android totally different from Harmattan.

08-13-14 10:57 AM
    Things can change fast in BlackBerry 10. You better let BlackBerry know about this.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 11:53 AM
    I can understand the design choice but the playbook gave the USER the OPTION. In the settings menu of the playbook there was a distinction made with how the active app handled resources (i.e. showcase vs. gallery). SO it gave users the option to remove resource rights from the background apps if there was a conflict with the active app. This is how its supposed to be handled but BB10 does not allow such an option and again freezes the camera app even when you go into the hub which ruins the efficiency of the system. In the playbook you could record a video, pay attention to the target, quickly check messages and open a PDF for reference (i.e. script to read over the video), and then switch back to the camera to zoom in and continue...all while it continued recording. the playbook has 1GB of ram and gimped processor by today's standards, why BB10 can't do this or give the user the options is beyond me.
    I agree, but just like the "only 8 active frames WTF" debacle before BB10 hit the masses, they had to dumb down the OS for the consumer masses... sorry but it's true, certain choices are made for the average user, not the power user (like BBOS7)

I think the small pieces they are adding back in from OS7 and the length of time they are taking has to do with the average user that is using BB10 and how "advanced" they want to make it

They're trying to go the basic route like iPhone while pissing off all their power users at the same time, so now there is a bit of a mess in the middle currently of basic features for basic users and advanced features(for power users) that confuse the basic users

08-13-14 11:53 AM
    There were some elements they had to change from the PB multi-tasking. Remember how you can swipe between apps on the PB? You can't really do that on the phone where a lot of apps (especially Android ones) involve swiping from the right to drill down into their functionality.
    08-13-14 12:05 PM
    There were some elements they had to change from the PB multi-tasking. Remember how you can swipe between apps on the PB? You can't really do that on the phone where a lot of apps (especially Android ones) involve swiping from the right to drill down into their functionality.
    I understand but navigation changes make sense with form factor changes but feature set is not a navigation issue but an issue of what the designer wants the OS to function as and currently the BB10 OS has a lower multitasking capability than Playbook OS and this feature is just an example of it.
    tHe.iR1sH likes this.
    08-13-14 12:22 PM
33 12