Thinking of getting the Z10. Gone down to the rather ridiculous price of �149 on PAYG. Similar specs to my current Lumia 920.

I use Reddit, Outlook for email, WhatsApp, Kik, Office, Skype, YouTube, Engadget, Mobile Nations, Wikipedia, bank app (Natwest), network app (Orange), Dailymotion, 4oD, Eurosport Player, iPlayer, TVCatchup, HERE Maps, podcasts, Netflix, TuneIn Radio, Facebook and Twitter.

Not many apps, but I'd just like to know what I'd experience if I switched over. I know sideloading is an option, but not really one I'm all too keen on. What apps are there, what are there third party alternatives for?

And those who switched from Windows Phone - what did you miss, and what do you enjoy more - and will you switch back?

Thanks!
    12-30-13 06:06 PM
    I don't think you'll miss anything, other than maybe the camera. The cam on bb10 is ok, but not amazing.

For apps, I believe all of those are accessible by sideloading and some of them are in bb app world. But since you don't want to sideload, here's my completely honest opinion:

When you get your phone, install the 10.2.1.1925 os leak. It's very simple and completely safe. You will need access to a computer though. Next, you'll need to sideload the app "snap" which is a third party app store. Once you did, you can install almost all android apps without sideloading

P.S. you can find snap and the leaked os in the forums using a search
    12-30-13 06:31 PM
    OP I'm just curious coming from another platform. Being presented with the option of side loading as a means to get apps BlackBerry doesn't currently have.

Is this a turn off?
    Are you technically inclined go about the side load process?

There's nothing wrong with sideloading I do it all the time. I'm just curious how a non BlackBerry user will view this added process.

I see you state you're "not keen on it" but is it enough to shy you away from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 06:40 PM
    • Reddit - Reddit In Motion, few others available in BlackBerry World.
    • WhatsApp - Available on BB10
    • Outlook email - Built in.
    • Kik - Sideload
    • Office - Dcos To Go or Sideload Office
    • Skype - Available on BB10
    • YouTube - Mobile site ''app' available on BB10, Sideload, many apps in BlackBerry World
    • Engadget - Browser, Sideload
    • Mobile Nations - Tapatalk sideload, CB10, Android Central, Browser
    • Wikipedia - Many apps in BlackBerry World, Browser
    • Dailymotion - Available on BB10
    • 4oD - Dunno, never heard of it lol
    • Eurosport Player - Sideload, Browser, May be apps in BB World not sure about that one
    • iPlayer - Browser in desktop mode, Sideload
    • TVCatchup - Sideload, Browser (maybe)
    • HERE Maps - BB Maps, Browser
    • Podcasts - Many apps in BlackBerry World
    • TuneIn Radio - Available on BB10
    • Facebook - Available on BB10
    • Twitter - Available on BB10, Many apps in BlackBerry World

I know you said you weren't keen on sideloading but really, if you install the latest leak with the Android installer available it's simple and while some apps might not work, other apps run just fine. It's a 'test it out and see' scenario. I dunno about banking and Orange though, I assume Orange may have a Android app you can load.
    Hammered Pizza and shellguard like this.
    12-30-13 06:42 PM
    BlackBerry is known for emailing device. On z10, you can create email account with sync forever which is a significant differentiator from windows and other devices. Typing on z10 is so convenient and smooth that you would enjoy.

Dr Prithvi Sent by Z30 frm CB10
    12-30-13 06:42 PM
    OP I'm just curious coming from another platform. Being presented with the option of side loading as a means to get apps BlackBerry doesn't currently have.

Is this a turn off?
    Are you technically inclined go about the side load process?

There's nothing wrong with sideloading I do it all the time. I'm just curious how a non BlackBerry user will view this added process.

I see you state you're "not keen on it" but is it enough to shy you away from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I'm technically competent. I don't think I'd have any real trouble sideloading, it's just several extra steps to get an app, a lot of hassle compared to Android / iOS / WP. That's why it's a turn off. It's like having a watch vs finding a map to reach the nearest church to find the time.

However, it's not enough to shy me away. There's a lot about BB10 that I like the look of, and even if I don't like it, I can switch away. Like I mentioned, it's so ludicrously cheap now that I almost feel like I have to!
    93Aero likes this.
    12-30-13 06:48 PM
    I'm technically competent. I don't think I'd have any real trouble sideloading, it's just several extra steps to get an app, a lot of hassle compared to Android / iOS / WP. That's why it's a turn off. It's like having a watch vs finding a map to reach the nearest church to find the time.

However, it's not enough to shy me away. There's a lot about BB10 that I like the look of, and even if I don't like it, I can switch away. Like I mentioned, it's so ludicrously cheap now that I almost feel like I have to!
    If you check my post, I tell you how to only sideload once

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 06:54 PM
    Before I try to answer your question, I'll give a little of my background. I've used Windows Phone (7.5 and 8) somewhat and both devices were Nokia devices. I've used BB10 somewhat. I wouldn't be considered a power user on either of these platforms. Also, neither of these is my favorite platform, so I don't think that I will be biased toward one or the other. I'm a phone fan that uses multiple devices. If I could only have one device on either of these platforms, I would probably pick a Lumia 1520.

I didn't get a lot of apps on Windows Phone 8 or BB10, so I can't speak to your app situation at all.

What you may miss is the tight Microsoft (Office, XBox, etc.) integration. Docs To Go is a reasonable substitute, but nothing compares to having an actual mobile version of Microsoft Office if you need to create and edit documents on your phone.

Since it seems that you are coming from a Nokia device as well, I don't know if you used Local Scout. I thought that it was pretty neat the few times that I used it and don't know of anything that is quite like it on BB10. I really didn't care for the navigation in Here Maps and haven't used BlackBerry Maps for navigation yet, so I can't make the comparison here.

What I think that you will like better on BB10 is the virtual keyboard. My keyboard tastes are not typical but if I had to choose one of these keyboards, I would pick the BB10 keyboard. I also think that the Z10 is more comfortable to hold than the Lumia 920 (I've only held the Lumia 920 in a store). However, you will trade a small amount of screen real estate for the Z10's smaller size.

Finally, I think that you will find the Hub better on BB10 than the (potentially) unified inbox that you have on Windows Phone if for no other reason than the notifications. One thing that has irked me with Windows Phone is that the notifications are not persistent. This isn't a problem with things like email or text messages. However, other apps would give notifications that I had no way of checking if I missed it when it came in.

I hope that my limited usage of the two platforms gives you some idea of what to expect with the conversion to BB10. Hopefully, some other people who used the devices more extensively can give you some additional guidance.
    Hammered Pizza likes this.
    12-30-13 06:58 PM
    Well being a WP8 user and a BB10 user I can give you my opinion. I have had a Z10 and now I have returned to my Q10 just because I love the form and love the keyboard and overall size of this device. On the WP8 side I have had the Lumia 920, 925 and now I am enjoying my Black 1020 and Q10 together. You will surely miss the cameras on the Lumia devices since capturing a moment (either photo or video) when you least expect it comes fairly often for some people and nothing on the market IMHO captures photo and especially video like the Lumia devices, they are surperior photo/video devices and Nokia has always been and always will be IMHO the best hardware maker on the market. You will also miss Here maps offline navigation (global licence meaning you can download maps from almost every country in the world free of charge) as Noklia does a great job of this, although there are options on BB10 like Mireo Don`t Panic which is a nice substitute but map packs need to be purchased. WP8 Live tiles are very cool and very pretty and colorful and just fun to look at and change and resize but IMHO they have limited function (although they are only designed to give info at a glance anyway) The WP8 os is butter smooth just like BB10 and even more fluent sometimes, both run on minimal hardware requirements. Skydrive is a huge bonus included for cloud storage. WP8 is great and one of my favorite OS`s!! There is so much more coming in WP 8.1 (AKA WP BLUE) Yes I really enjoy the WP Platform as you can see but now on to the amazing BB10 OS since I love the BB10 OS just as much but in a different more business orientated kind of way. PS I forgot to mention that you also might miss the integrated Wireless charging on your 920, I know I miss it on my 1020 and don`t want to have a separate shell to need to charge it wirelessly...

I started out with BB10 as soon as it was released Jan 13` and left for came back numerous times for many reasons with my latest return last week jumping on the Q10 bandwagon. I can tell you that since this OS begun it`s life cycle things have changed in 10.2 all for the better with simple missing features being added all the time. The BB HUB is just amazing IMHO and I can`t go without it, much better than having a different live tiles for every account like in WP8 and quicker overall. Also the fact that BB10 has an integrated file manager for me is a huge advantage over the locked WP8 system so can shuffle and trasnfer files on the go other than relying on your PC like WP, especially since you can add MUCH MORE STORAGE via an SD card and also replace batteries should you need to. The Lumia (900,925,1020) don`t have this option unless you jump to a oversized beast 1520 in which case you can add only an SD card.

Jumping to the keyboards I would give the edge to the BB10 Z10 keyboard over the WP8 keyboard but only by a small margin as they are both great and really intelligent to type with, unless you like physical keys like me than jump on the beautifully crafted Q10 (can`t put this thing down, I have OCD and love holding it all the time LOL not normal)

If you rely heavily on apps neither platform will satisfy your taste but I give the edge to WP8 since they have more major apps in the store and seem to be released much quicker than BB10 and do not require SIDELOADING which you mentioned that you weren`t keen on (although it is very easy) Should you embark on that journey of sideloading than alot more android apps become available and all run decently with the average bug here and there.

BB10 wins for overall security although WP is no slouch and has never been in that department (it is very secure) but BB10 still wins everytime in that department!

I have not covered all the points I know, but this is just as brief breakdown of what and what not to expect from the basics of both devices.<

The last note I would like to leave is about the camers on the BB10 devices which I believe to be passable at best, especially Under less than adequate lighting and coming from the Lumias I was abit let down. For the average snapper though they do fine, if you want better pictures and pics/vids are very important to you on a daily basis than stick with a Lumia device.

Sorry for the long post and I hope that clarifies it a bit for you man..

PS HOLDING MY q10 and cannot put this thing of beauty down (still one of the nicest crafted devices along with the Lumia 925 and BBZ10-30)

Julian
    Hammered Pizza likes this.
    12-31-13 07:01 AM