I had a BlackBerry Pearl some years back but I never knew about pin messages, that's something that is like gold in the age that we live in.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 11:34 PM
    I still don't know what it's for. Can you enlighten me?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-16 03:21 AM
    it's like SMS, only instead of sending it to the phone number you send to the BlackBerry's PIN.
    02-25-16 04:51 AM
    it's like SMS, only instead of sending it to the phone number you send to the BlackBerry's PIN.
    BBM is like SMS but with added security and features. PIN messaging is morevlike email ... but you send directly to a person's PIN instead of an email address. And you get a (D)elivery notification. So instead of inviting someone to BBM and then accepting them, you can simply request their PIN and converse in email fashion. I have used PIN messaging when buying phones from other BlackBerry users ... just used their PIN to communicate via email fashion, but never adding them to BBM.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-16 08:06 AM
    Yes and it's all encrypted end to end, the best part.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-16 02:55 PM
    I still don't know what it's for. Can you enlighten me?

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry is all about communication. PIN messaging dates to before BBM and has several uses that may not seem necessary today. First, it is an alternative, or backup. If email servers go down, or if the voice network goes down, or both, PIN messages, using data, can be sent and received peer to peer with another BlackBerry user.

Even with email and the voice network for SMS, PIN messages still have the advantage of being peer to peer and also provide delivery confirmation.

Again, this doesn't seem like much today with BBM and the other messaging apps. But it is a reminder of BlackBerry's roots and the fact that BlackBerry was built for a purpose.
    02-27-16 03:51 PM