I am a long time BB user and BB10 user right from the beginning. Got my Q10 when it came out, had Passport, using Z30 right now and have a Classic on the way. It has been awhile since the last time I was seriously amused by my Blackberry phone though. I received a message this morning from a friend of mine, who is new to BB (just got his first BB phone recently) and instantly I had hard time recognizing the symbol beside the message in my hub. I spoke to him soon after and asked what kind of message exactly that was, his answer PIN message. Now, this was the first for me, as I was able to sort all my messaging needs through texts and BBM. Will anyone be able to explain to me what is the significance of using the PIN messaging comparing to texts and BBM? Differences or similarities of them and in general is there even any need to be using that PIN stuff. Any input as usual will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    01-27-15 10:22 PM
    I am a long time BB user and BB10 user right from the beginning. Got my Q10 when it came out, had Passport, using Z30 right now and have a Classic on the way. It has been awhile since the last time I was seriously amused by my Blackberry phone though. I received a message this morning from a friend of mine, who is new to BB (just got his first BB phone recently) and instantly I had hard time recognizing the symbol beside the message in my hub. I spoke to him soon after and asked what kind of message exactly that was, his answer PIN message. Now, this was the first for me, as I was able to sort all my messaging needs through texts and BBM. Will anyone be able to explain to me what is the significance of using the PIN messaging comparing to texts and BBM? Differences or similarities of them and in general is there even any need to be using that PIN stuff. Any input as usual will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Pin messages were basically used years ago before BBM was introduced and became popular. bb users would give each other their PiN. bBM works on those same PIN numbers and is virtually the same thing as a pin message but within the BBM app
    nolimits7 likes this.
    01-27-15 10:29 PM
    Pin messages were basically used years ago before BBM was introduced and became popular. bb users would give each other their PiN. bBM works on those same PIN numbers and is virtually the same thing as a pin message but within the BBM app
    Is this PIN messaging being still used? If no, why is it even in the HUB?
    01-27-15 11:05 PM
    Some people in fact still use them

Executive Producer of a Bunch of Losers for a BBM Group that doesn't Exist via My Passport
    nolimits7 likes this.
    01-27-15 11:15 PM
    The best I can tell is that longtime BBOS users coming to BB10 were upset that they couldn't send PIN messages. I know it wasn't introduced until 10.1 when the Q10 was released 2-3 months after BB10 and the Z10 were released. I've used it maybe twice in almost 2 years and both time were within days of 10.1 coming out and it was to say "PIN messaging is here" that was it. I have converted all of my old BBOS contacts to BBM and now it sits there, unused.

Posted via CB10
    nolimits7 likes this.
    01-27-15 11:17 PM
    In other words, for a guy like me, it makes more sense to stick to messaging within BBM, rather than to start discovering the beautiful world of PIN messaging?
    01-28-15 01:55 AM
    I love using pin messaging...I will be awful pis$ed if BlackBerry were to discontinue the pin messaging. It's one of the remaining unique BlackBerry feature

I love the fact that I can send a message to a BlackBerry user without having to add them to my bbm list...I don't want every tom **** and harry with a BlackBerry who I have to communicate with on my bbm list. Pin messaging allows me to reach them without using email or text
    Posted via CB10
    ESCON and nolimits7 like this.
    01-28-15 02:17 AM
    With PIN messages you only need to know the other person's hexadecimal BlackBerry number, and you can send a message without them having to Invite/be invited as a messaging contact. It's valuable for some who wish to keep their contact information personal. (I don't use it myself).
    nolimits7 likes this.
    01-28-15 07:47 AM
    With PIN messages you only need to know the other person's hexadecimal BlackBerry number, and you can send a message without them having to Invite/be invited as a messaging contact. It's valuable for some who wish to keep their contact information personal. (I don't use it myself).
    Pin messages play a big part in my loyalty to BB. Far before BbM ..back it 2003 you may remember the Blackout that took out most of the eastern seaboard of North America. Well, a third of North America was unable to communicate, Land Lines weren't working, computers were down so no email, and cell calls were spotty at best but via our Blackberry 957 devices and PIN messages I was able to communicate with, my wife, Uncle, Aunt, and Cousin (we all work together).
    nolimits7 likes this.
    01-28-15 09:39 AM
    PIN messages are a great feature, for those who use and rely on it. Like the previous post said, sending a PIN intead of adding the contact to BBM.

For me personally, in the 8 years that I have been using a BlackBerry I have never once sent or received a PIN message.

Posted via CB10
    nolimits7 likes this.
    01-28-15 09:57 AM
    PIN messages are a great feature, for those who use and rely on it. Like the previous post said, sending a PIN intead of adding the contact to BBM.

For me personally, in the 8 years that I have been using a BlackBerry I have never once sent or received a PIN message.

Posted via CB10
    I love using pin messaging...I will be awful pis$ed if BlackBerry were to discontinue the pin messaging. It's one of the remaining unique BlackBerry feature

I love the fact that I can send a message to a BlackBerry user without having to add them to my bbm list...I don't want every tom **** and harry with a BlackBerry who I have to communicate with on my bbm list. Pin messaging allows me to reach them without using email or text
    Posted via CB10
    Pin messages play a big part in my loyalty to BB. Far before BbM ..back it 2003 you may remember the Blackout that took out most of the eastern seaboard of North America. Well, a third of North America was unable to communicate, Land Lines weren't working, computers were down so no email, and cell calls were spotty at best but via our Blackberry 957 devices and PIN messages I was able to communicate with, my wife, Uncle, Aunt, and Cousin (we all work together).
    Well then, all these answers beg this question: how do I source those PIN numbers from my contacts if they are not already in my BBM list and more important how do I store them in my phone? It is easy to source those PIN numbers within BBM, you just simply send an invitation by email, text or so on but how do you do it on its own?
    01-28-15 10:17 AM
    Sourcing is not so easy. Years ago when I exclusively used pins I would be having an email conversation with someone, I'd find out they had a BB and I would would give my pin my typing mypin in the message and continue the conversation that way. Generally now those PIns are collected via BbM

Pin can be store on you Bb 10 device by selecting your contact /edit /add field/ and select Blackberry PIn
    nolimits7 likes this.
    01-28-15 10:28 AM
    Sourcing is not so easy. Years ago when I exclusively used pins I would be having an email conversation with someone, I'd find out they had a BB and I would would give my pin my typing mypin in the message and continue the conversation that way. Generally now those PIns are collected via BbM

Pin can be store on you Bb 10 device by selecting your contact /edit /add field/ and select Blackberry PIn
    Yes, I see that spot for someone's PIN in contacts. Thanks for that. For a guy like me, who really has no background with PIN messaging, but loves and uses BBM extensively, finds the process of inviting and adding new contacts very easy and is used to how all its is done, does it even make sense to even consider PIN messaging? I also would like to add that I have no issues off adding someone to my BBM list even if it is for a very rare communication.
    01-28-15 10:42 AM
    Yes, I see that spot for someone's PIN in contacts. Thanks for that. For a guy like me, who really has no background with PIN messaging, but loves and uses BBM extensively, finds the process of inviting and adding new contacts very easy and is used to how all its is done, does it even make sense to even consider PIN messaging? I also would like to add that I have no issues off adding someone to my BBM list even if it is for a very rare communication.
    And extremely secure as it is only between device via BlackBerry servers

Executive Producer of a Bunch of Losers for a BBM Group that doesn't Exist via My Passport
    nolimits7 likes this.
    01-28-15 01:01 PM
    I got 1 last feb 10 and I think its from indonesia. I am living in manila Philippines. How did they know my pin., looks like its a promo from blackberry indonesia.
    PIN messages?-img_20150214_020018.png

Q10 Filipinas
    02-13-15 12:02 PM
    Isako,
    The persons that sent you that just randomly generated the pin and luckily for them it was in use (yours)
    I guess they generate thousands and send them out and sometimes they get lucky.

Just delete it and ignore it.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 12:53 PM
    Thanx!

Q10 Filipinas
    02-13-15 10:04 PM
    The advantage of pin messaging other than what has already been mentioned is that you can assign importance to a pin message and it can also be any length. It runs through BlackBerry 's noc so like bbm is secure and private.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    nolimits7 likes this.
    02-13-15 11:56 PM