Showing my daughter yet more great features of BB10, she thought (and still thinks) Picture Password is really slick. Her first experience with it, however, was a tad disconcerting. She had taken a pic with my new Z30 and closed the flap of my flip case, locking the device. Going to use it again, she swiped up, revealing the password lock screen. Having no idea of my number or picture unlock point, she moved the numbers, lifted her thumb and viola! Unlocked! Random chance, yes. But clearly possible. I suggest that an improvement would be to have (at least the option of) a two-digit unlock. Line up the first digit, the screen flashes or the number grid changes to a red colour, and then line up the second number before lifting your thumb and the screen unlocks.

Posted via CB10
    Gerii and vnbb like this.
    02-07-14 11:38 AM
    Haha. That's crazy. I've showed Picture Password to soo many people and not one was able to replicate it. Ask your daughter to do it again. She won't be able to. I do agree though that, as secure as it is, it may need some more fine tuning to be at a level of security that is really difficult to replicate yet still easy enough that it is quick to do.
    02-07-14 11:45 AM
    Really? I always forget where to point the number and it's my phone
    02-07-14 11:49 AM
    If that did happened, it was her 1 in a million luck, but fact remains that picture password is the most secured BlackBerry lock feature.....yet, proven by thousands of Crackberry fans (and critics!)

Posted on a sexy QTEN
    02-07-14 11:51 AM
    Take her with you and play the lottery good sir.

Posted via my NEW Zed30
    02-07-14 12:15 PM
    My friend did it 2 times on my z10.

Posted via CB10
    jimpilot likes this.
    02-07-14 12:35 PM
    Same for me. My number starts close to my point often.

Posted without the help of autocorrect on my Q10, 10.2.1.1925
    02-07-14 12:41 PM
    We worked out the odds, whilst its unlikely on any one phone with the size of crackberry community its entirely possible we could get a dozen posts like this.
    BlackBerry could easy fix this allowing up to 4 numbers and pictures would allow a scale of security to suit all needs.
    02-07-14 12:43 PM
    Once is enough, I don't need it to take longer than it already does!

If you want more security use a password

Posted via CB10
    rizdragon, eldricho, CDM76 and 3 others like this.
    02-07-14 12:43 PM
    Frequently i forget what i was going to check on my mobile between picking it and unloking it... add a retinal scan, digital print, voice recognition and a 15 digit password so i forget 100% of times

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans and ehroberts like this.
    02-07-14 01:04 PM
    VR6, you must be joking. Do you really think Picture Password takes too long?? The only system that I think could be any faster is to use no password at all.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 01:11 PM
    You are using random chance with a limited character set (basic numbers). As the numbers are also randomly placed, you have just as much chance of it being far as near. Pure chance can indeed unlock your phone. If you want it secure, use a time proven method of complex passwords in excess of 15 characters. I have one, it takes only a few seconds to type, but is significantly more secure than other methods.
    Kamika007z likes this.
    02-07-14 01:15 PM
    I started to use it today as soon as I got the 10.2.1 update when I woke up in the morning, I find that someone looking very careful may replicate it, easier than looking for a password, but for functionality I find it very nice... my wife on the other side never could get it to work, maybe she forgot the spot but she finally turned it off because she was worried to wipe the phone.

So it is not for everyone.
    02-07-14 01:23 PM
    My daughter did the same thing this last weekend. However, she was unable to do it again. I even gave her the number to use but not the location, and still couldn't. I think this means its not lucky proof. Maybe BB could use a better way of mixing the numbers where combinations of the same numbers don appear so often.
    02-07-14 01:31 PM
    OP, I wouldn't call that a weakness... Cause it is by design simple and fast. but I agree that adding a second picture or second number or both would improve security by a lot

Posted via CB10
    Morty2264 likes this.
    02-07-14 01:35 PM
    Or don't use picture password. It's not allowed on any phone on our BES.
    bluetroll and diegonei like this.
    02-07-14 01:43 PM
    I know my number and location and I still get it wrong once or twice every time I try. She's real lucky.
    2cats1dog likes this.
    02-07-14 01:55 PM
    The only thing I have noticed is that sometimes the I chose is very close (sometimes a couple of millimeters away) to where I placed it. This does not happen too often though, but I figured that by luck someone could just touch and immediately release the screen and it would unlock my phone. Who knows!

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    02-07-14 01:57 PM
    I started to use it today as soon as I got the 10.2.1 update when I woke up in the morning, I find that someone looking very careful may replicate it, easier than looking for a password, but for functionality I find it very nice... my wife on the other side never could get it to work, maybe she forgot the spot but she finally turned it off because she was worried to wipe the phone.

I don't know, most people are watching the movement of your thumb, ie. how you're swiping, rather than watching number placement. And keep in mind, you don't need to touch the number you chose, it just needs to end up in the right spot. Therefore your 'swipe' can look different every time.
    Last edited by jelp2; 02-08-14 at 11:59 AM.
    EsJayDee, Gykesdollars and rav16 like this.
    02-07-14 01:59 PM
    My friend did it 2 times on my z10.

Posted via CB10
    There are people whose password is 1234, asdf, etc. for the alpha-numeric password. Picture password is not an exception, either. Hope that you didn't set a very easily guessed picture password or you didn't place your finger on the number and move it to a very easily guessed location. Picture password improves an entropy than fixed numbers and so on, I guess.
    02-07-14 03:02 PM
    I tried it once and couldn't get it unlocked after 5 attempts, immediately after setting it. So I hadn't forgotten it. I turned it off right then. I wanted to like it, but couldn't.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 03:06 PM

I don't think so, unless your picture is a clown with a red nose?
    The whole purpose of picture password is to eliminate the ability to over shoulder someone. Of course if your going to hold your phone in front of someone's face and repeatedly unlock it then eventually they would get it but slower than other password methods.

There are only 1 or possibly 2 problems with picture password.
    1 No ability to scale the password to your needs in the way you can choose the length or complexity of a written password,
    2 The confusion it creates in people who cant grasp why its of good or bad idea for them to use it!
    02-07-14 03:10 PM

Don't put your finger on the number you choose, just pick anywhere and the number grid moves around. If you're putting your finger on the number its immensely more difficult and could be seen by someone else.
    02-07-14 03:16 PM
    I was able to crack my wife's PP after watching her unlock her phone just 3 times in a row. To be fair, I just happened to be looking in the right spot on the first time, and noticed that she lined up a specific number with a specific landmark right where I was looking, and the subsequent unlocks confirmed it. Though to be fair, if I watched her type in a regular password that closely 3 times in succession, I also would've figured out her password.

OTOH, I cracked my mother's PP on the first try without even watching her do it once. Picture of my daughter (her granddaughter) on the screen, and as the password, she chose my daughter's age, and centered it on a focal point on the screen (literally on a big red circle in the middle of the screen).

Moral of the story is... PP or no-PP, your security is only as good as your password. If you choose an obvious number and an obvious spot, it's not really that much different then using your name as your password or "letmein". It's probably more likely that someone *could* randomly swipe & happen to land the right number in the right spot vs. using a well-chosen password, but considering that they're only limited to 5 tries, it might be good enough for you. Fortunately, we get to choose which method we want to use (BES policies aside).
    02-07-14 03:21 PM
    It depends on the picture you choose. Rarely people get lucky with their first try.

Try to pick a complex picture instead of one with something pop out.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    02-07-14 03:42 PM
100 123 ...